Small body of drawings (please critique)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Small body of drawings (please critique)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you work too fast and make errors which you can avoid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think these sketches belong in a sketchbook, not in the WIP section :/. This section is more for things that are going to become final artworks. Fully rendered and defined with time put in to make it look very nice .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisshoku View Post
    I think these sketches belong in a sketchbook, not in the WIP section :/. This section is more for things that are going to become final artworks. Fully rendered and defined with time put in to make it look very nice .
    Yeah but this is the Critique Center... and he did ask for a critique.

@Mantillman - I'd have to agree with Danilo about drawing a bit too fast, but only for your concepts, not the real life pieces. Look at how focused and confident your lines are in the real life stuff, and compare to the imagined concepts. Hellova difference.

I can see you're already using the idea of planes in shading your real life drawings, but you seem to be having trouble doing this in the same confident manner for the conceptuals. Im not shocked because it makes sense. There's very little certainty when drawing from your imagination. Slowing down might help. Also, unlike when drawing from life, you probably will not want to keep your first set of lines when drawing from your head. Don't try to be super cocky with your linework. Either draw only the ones you're confident about, or prepare to draw overtop of the previous ones.

If you want to try drawing only the ones you're confident about, then you'll need heavy use of your imagination and artistic spider-sense to know which lines go where. This approach mostly uses gut feelings at first, and the you can use common sense and references to fill in the gaps. If this doesn't work, you can also try drawing over your previous lines. As I mentioned this becomes messy really quick, but you don't need to imagine quite as much because all the lines are right there on the page. Although a cleanup is usually required if you want to finish the piece. Both techniques might require some references if you want superb quality.

Whatever you do, definitely slow down a bit. Take some time to imagine (at least for a moment) what you want to show. Then try using either the exploration technique with long lines and/or the imagination technique with short lines to put it down on paper.

Most of the artists I've observed seem to do things in one of the two above approaches, at least until they become comfortable with the subject.

my 2c have fun most importantly

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.