Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts

Huge Flood This Morning - Pics Uploaded

The river in our village rose up today, and flooded all the houses along it. At 6am, it went over the banks and along the roads. I was going to leave early for work before the road cut off, but then I realized it was coming so fast I needed to stay and help my father-in-law damn up his house. We did it just in time. I spent the morning filling sandbags and such. Pics later, I've got a sleeping kid lying on me.
    Last edited by TASmith; June 4th, 2010 at 01:25 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    And here I thought I had a rough day ahead of me...

Good luck with that. Hope your day gets better from here.
    On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time.
    - George Orwell

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    - Richard Dawkins

Thanks
    Well, the water's gone down, and it's stopped raining for now. Still gray out, but it should get sunny for this weekend. And looking at the backyard now, the water's gone and it doesn't seem so bad. I think some of the flowers are dead, though.

My son had to get sick, just now, though. Stuffy nose and he was crying terribly because he couldn't sleep.

Thanks
    Alright, this first pic is from last summer. It's just for comparison - showing our idyllic little village with it's mountain stream.

Then the photos of the flood. This is our street. Around 6:20 this morning the river started to overflow, and within 40 minutes or so, it was already up, surrounding our house. We rushed to fill sand bags to block the door. Up until it started coming in our front drive, I couldn't believe it'd ever get up that high. I called work and told them I couldn't come, and then we started preparing. My family woke up and evacuated to our house under construction. Luckily - as you'll see, the flood never really touched my place. It just surrounded my in-law's house, next door. And, they got really lucky - they have a small cellar and it only got a bit of water. Everyone else on our street has a big cellar which was filled to the brim with water. Shelves knocked over, family photos floating around. I saw one large Mucha poster submerged.

We spent most of the afternoon using buckets and hoses to get the water out. This is all just the beginning, though. We're upstream. Most of the damage was downstream, because the river banks are much narrower there. I'll look for a link to some more photos. And the groundwater plain rose, so even houses on hills got flooded.

The large photo of me is for anyone who feels like drawing

God, our poor dog. I've never seen him so scared. He tried to push himself into our house, but my wife wouldn't let him - not even in a flood. We got him around to the back where it was still high ground.

It's great to know that, even in a disaster like this, my house wasa fine. And I'm glad I don't have a cellar, like everyone else. I'm storing all my stuff in the attic.
    Last edited by TASmith; June 4th, 2010 at 01:24 PM.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    nice picturesss

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nauvice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    glad you and your family are ok!
    I SWEAR ON THE GRAVES OF ALL THE TALENTED FILIPINO ARTISTS WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE ME, THE FILIPINO ART LEGACY WILL CONTINUE!

MY DAY JOB http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=136204

MY ANGRY SKETCHBOOKhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...129015&page=13

11. The Following User Says Thank You to the ANGRY filipino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Same here, good to see you missed the worst of it!!! I had to smirk about your poor dog =]
    Is that the same bridge in the earlier picks, just collapsed!?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleverdart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts
    I'd start asking about flood plains and if this is going to be a common occurrence. Like the longer hair BTW - suits you.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awwww, your dog looks so pitiful there! Anyway, glad the family is okay!! Hopefully that water will be going back down soon!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Those are some nice looking houses.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    Damn that's quite abit of water (felt bad for the pup though, looked like he was standing on that rack for dear life!)
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

21. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks everyone. To answer that question, yes, the washed out bridge is the same as in the first picture. The river's still high, but if it calms down today, I'll go photograph what's left of it. Right now you still couldn't see it.

As for floodplains, I've asked around and this is the first time in 40 years. We're in a very hilly area of Slovakia, so if there's a sudden downpour, every valley becomes a floodplain, and most towns are nestled in valleys to protect from the wind. This sort of thing isn't natural.

Partly I'm reminded of an Inconvenient Truth. Partly, I feel guilty making fun of that 2012 movie, but honestly, even if we do all die, it was a terrible film.