Looking to commission a number of single pieces over the next six months
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking to commission a number of single pieces over the next six months

I am a writer and am currently in the process of writing the script for a graphic novel. As this is my first time working in the context of a mostly visual medium, I would like to build a gallery of images for my own reference while writing the script. I would therefore like to commission several pieces of art in several styles, preferably from several different artists with radically different approaches.

I will be sending one or more commission requests once every two to four weeks. I'll probably update this thread with each new round unless that's frowned upon. For the initial round I hope to send out 2-3 requests, depending on the response.

The Creative Proposition

For each piece I will provide the artist with a detailed description of the scene. Each scene will involve characters from my script, but the image will not be taken directly from my script. It will instead be an archetypal image which captures an entire arc or a particularly important moment.

I will ask artists to decide on a particular medium (or set of media) in which they are comfortable working and submit portfolio images which are representative of their work in that medium or media. I will emphasize here that I want a diversity of work. While I will likely commission some straightforward figure art pieces, I will be looking for approaches that are well outside the mainstream as well. I encourage submitters to choose an approach that they would enjoy working in, regardless of its "fitness" for a mainstream graphic novel.

I will be arranging the physical copies of these images into a gallery of sorts for my own reference while writing, so I will be looking for mostly physical media, although exceptional digital work suitable for high-quality printing is also of interest.

Please note:
    These images are not intended to be concept work in the normal sense (that is, as preliminary or intermediate stages leading to a final design), nor am I looking for scene layouts or character designs. I am looking for visual inspirations which cover a wide range of approaches to the subject matter in order to facilitate the writing process. As such they will not appear in the book itself. If that changes and further rights need to be negotiated at some point, that will be treated as a separate matter.

Payment

Because I am not dictating a specific medium or finished product, I can only offer a range of payments. I will be commissioning images in sizes ranging from portrait to poster from each of the following categories at the following rates:

- Pencil sketch, detailed - $50-100
    - "Finished" black and white/inked art, detailed - $100-150
    - Full Color art - $150-250
    - Other media, full composition - $100-250

Please indicate if any of the above are out of line. I am not an experienced hand at this, and I'm certainly open to calls of "you're f'in crazy mate". I am looking for very high quality images, and in exceptional cases I am willing to negotiate rates.

My email address is liquiddark@hotmail.com

Last edited by liquiddark; June 4th, 2010 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Could you provide us with an email address to send questions, inquiries, and submissions to?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi folks,

The response has been excellent to this request, and I am still accepting subs. For those who've submitted thus far, I am working through portfolios and will be sending out commission requests this week. Thanks very much for your responses!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi folks,

Thanks for the tremendous response to this request. I'm closing submissions and will be selecting the first commissions this week. I appreciate everyone's response and look forward to seeing work from some of the incredibly talented artists who've offered their services.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.