WIP critiques/suggestions plz warrior type character
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: WIP critiques/suggestions plz warrior type character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP critiques/suggestions plz warrior type character

Here is what I have so far, just wanted to get critiqs on anything you guys think I can improve at this stage. Keep in mind it obviously isnt finished. Hope that doesnt distract too much from any ideas.

Im not exactly stuck or anything, just curious as to what you guys can surprise me with.

Im not great at PS which is painfully obvious.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hum so far the muscles are well placed and doesn't seem to be mis placed..
    although this drawing is very blurry..

but beside that, it's a good start the only thing I could say is that the helmet doesn't really follow the lighting of the body. and I know you haven't draw the horns yet, but don't forget that the horn farer back should be a little smaller than the one in front.

but beside that.. really cool b(^-^)d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get the sense that the viewer is looking up at this guy, or he's looking down at the viewer. Do you intend for this just to be a bust/torso, or are you going to depict the rest of the body? I would suggest drawing the whole body out, because drawing one part at a time, or just doing part of the body, tends to lead to proportional errors. Although the musculature is pretty developed, so far, I'm seeing something a little shaky with the overall proportions.
    Although, I understand you are emphasizing his mass by making the head smaller, I think that you've made it a little too small for his body, especially since he has a helmet on. Although getting ideas down on paper for his armor is a good idea, I wouldn't put it on him just yet. You might want to consider getting some clean line art (in pencil and have an idea of where the light source is, but don't worry about shading yet)) of this on this or , another post. Use some really good reference (even doing the pose yourself and take a picture of it) for the pose.
    This might help to establish a clear cut idea of composition, lighting, and the dynamics of the pose. I hope you find this helpful.
    ~Zombifried

"Try not. Do or do not!! There is no try"
    -Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

zombifried's sketchbook
    zombifried's sculpture thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Goblin View Post
    Hum so far the muscles are well placed and doesn't seem to be mis placed..
    although this drawing is very blurry..

but beside that, it's a good start the only thing I could say is that the helmet doesn't really follow the lighting of the body. and I know you haven't draw the horns yet, but don't forget that the horn farer back should be a little smaller than the one in front.

but beside that.. really cool b(^-^)d
    Yea I am tryin to figure out how I am going to sharpen it up besides just use harder edged strokes.........

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zombifried View Post
    I get the sense that the viewer is looking up at this guy, or he's looking down at the viewer. Do you intend for this just to be a bust/torso, or are you going to depict the rest of the body? I would suggest drawing the whole body out, because drawing one part at a time, or just doing part of the body, tends to lead to proportional errors. Although the musculature is pretty developed, so far, I'm seeing something a little shaky with the overall proportions.
    Although, I understand you are emphasizing his mass by making the head smaller, I think that you've made it a little too small for his body, especially since he has a helmet on. Although getting ideas down on paper for his armor is a good idea, I wouldn't put it on him just yet. You might want to consider getting some clean line art (in pencil and have an idea of where the light source is, but don't worry about shading yet)) of this on this or , another post. Use some really good reference (even doing the pose yourself and take a picture of it) for the pose.
    This might help to establish a clear cut idea of composition, lighting, and the dynamics of the pose. I hope you find this helpful.
    ~Zombifried
    Thanks man, I am totally appreciating alll the thoughts. What do you mean specifically by "shaky" regarding the anatomy though?

The head may be small....ill have to see how it loos bigger..hmmmmm

Armor in general is hard for me, I basically dont know what to do besides think of cool interesting shapes while still trying to keep the functionality of it. I cant find any good reference really either.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Regarding the "shaky" anatomy. Shaky might not have been the best choice of words. I wasn't able to put my finger on the issue that was bothersome: It just looked a little off in some places.
    One thing maybe is even though he's very bulky, and we don't tend to notice really beefy people's necks, there still should be a slight indication of one in the drawing. On the torso the muscles seem to be going down the length and they should be taking the shape of the ribs, going width-wise instead.If the viewer is intended be looking up at him, his head needs to be foreshortened. (You'll be seeing the bottom plane of the jaw first)
    I don't know if I can post this image, but, what the hell. After all I grabbed from this site! Hopefully that will steer you in the right direction as far as bulky muscle structure goes.

Here is a resource that may help you with ideas about armor, as well as the construction phase of the figure (especially in a fantasy setting)
    Good luck!
    ~Zombifried

Last edited by zombifried; June 4th, 2010 at 02:05 AM.

zombifried's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is more of the full body roughly laid out. Added an idea for a weapon too.

just messin with it.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Funny you should post that anatomy image, Ihave it right here in front of me lol. On my wall.

I used a photo of dorian yates for the pose initially. Not following it strictly of course.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The sketch, though rough, is clearer to me. I think you're on the right track.

zombifried's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another thought occurred to me regarding your anatomy. I'm seeing the left shoulder more than the right, which indicates that his left side may be facing the viewer...In other words there may be a slight twist in his torso. Maybe making the right pect slightly smaller and overlapped a little by the leftwould help. Also the center line may be over farther to the right.
    Just a thought.

zombifried's sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.