A computer for Sheridan's Animation Program

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A computer for Sheridan's Animation Program

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A computer for Sheridan's Animation Program

Hiya,

I have recently gotten into the Animation program at Sheridan, and as a result, I need a new computer. I was wondering if it was better to use a laptop or a desktop computer. Ideally, I would like to get a desktop computer because I run a lot of labor-intensive programs; am very paranoid about losing said laptop; and like big-screen monitors.

Any advice on which system best suited the needs of the program would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not really possible to give advice on hardware if we don't know what your budget is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An option my roommates did was to get a strong laptop and hook it up to a monitor when they get home. You will take notes at school and I know that I would like to save my drawing hand drawing rather than writing...

I don't know if this is the case for upper years though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Chow View Post
    An option my roommates did was to get a strong laptop and hook it up to a monitor when they get home. You will take notes at school and I know that I would like to save my drawing hand drawing rather than writing...

I don't know if this is the case for upper years though.
    It'd be a fair bit cheaper to buy a strong desktop and a netbook. Unless it's absolutely essential that you be able to do graphics work on the go, high end laptops are a huge waste of money.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm hoping to get a mac (which conventionally throws "affordable" out the window). When it comes to taking notes, I prefer to actually write them down. Failing in that I have a laptop but it's old.
    I was curious about whether or not Sheridan's animation program had a strong demand for laptop use or if I could take the work to a desktop computer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From what I've seen around campus, no one uses a laptop in animation unless they are listening to music and checking their facebook while they draw a character.
    They provide mac labs that you need a special key to enter at Sheridan where most people go to do their work. But they also give you the software to do the work from home if you like, but you should probably do it at school! They give you everything you need (you are paying for it) and the other students could probably help you out, or you can help other students with their work.
    If I were still at Sheridan, I would probably get a tablet instead of a new computer!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't go to Sheridan, so I'm not totally familiar with the system there...

But, with most animation programs, it seems that students are in school computer labs working all the time. If you need a computer for school work, you'll probably have access to one.

If it were me, I would buy a nice laptop as a personal computer and work mostly in the computers provided by the school. Another cool option might be getting a Tablet PC... there's some serious art on the go advantage there and probably about the same price as a Mac.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the helpful advice! I'll be sure to use the labs as much as I can!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Alishka,

It really depends on where you prefer to do the bulk of your work. At home, I would suggest a desktop for cost efficiency on parts so you can get a beefy rig. If you think you'll be spending more time at the school to work, I would suggest to use the program's computer labs. A good chunk of tuition goes to the costs of these labs, and the licensing for the software, why not use it? If you like to write your notes then you definitely won't be needing a laptop during the lectures.

During my 1st and 2nd years there the classes weren't focused heavy on the digital side of things, lots of traditional work. When it came down to making films in 3rd and 4th year, I found using the school computers was better than wearing out my home desktop with the demands of the projects, such as heavy compositing. Then again, it can depend on the needs of the work They're pretty powerful machines, and the tech staff upgrade them every few years. It also depends on the software you prefer. Sheridan BAA labs offer the full Adobe Suite, and a few others like Toonboom sofware.

Others mentioned getting a tablet, and I agree. You should consider starting your investment there. Hope this helps!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thomasaurus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the advice, I had no idea what I was getting into with a new computer. I don't think my imac is cut out for the demands of the program...atleast that's my excuse to get a new computer. n_n

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.