Other ways of blowing up an image for print?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Other ways of blowing up an image for print?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Other ways of blowing up an image for print?

Hello,

I have a small exhibition coming up and I have just realized that I need to double the size of my images. The largest being from A3 to A2.
    I have done a bit of research and it seems that there isnít really a way to go about it without pixilation. I have heard about a program called alien skin that resizes the image somehow by using vectors. This sounds somewhat too good to be true though, plus the program is out of my budget.

My images are currently tif files and are 300dpi, Do you think there is enough flexibility to double the size without noticeable disturbance?

Personally thought it might be possible to increase the size of the printed dots or something, like that of large prints if you get me?

I wonder if anyone has encountered any other methods that might be worth looking into?

Cheers

Rich

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A3@300ppi=A2@150ppi.
    150 is still an acceptable (not optimal, but acceptable) resolution for a large image, since the bigger the image, the further away you're generally viewing it from (billboards resolution is sometimes as low as 20ppi). Or, you could just upsample the pieces to twice their size, which will cause a bit of softening, but the results may be better than printing at a lower resolution. Some skillful use of unsharp masking can help. Also, since they're your pieces, you can go back and do any smoothing out of textures or tightening up of details that may be necessary.
    Are you doing this yourself or using a professional printer? If you are using a printer, they're the people to ask.

Last edited by Elwell; June 2nd, 2010 at 04:44 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, a little trick that you can do in this case, I did it a couple of times, is that, if you blow it up to the correct size and looks pixelated, gausian-blur it all out a bit, and apply some fine TEXTURE as a "multiply" layer, but the texture has to be VERY SMALL and fine, something unnoticeable from a distance but that you can see by looking very closely, that way, you eliminate the blurryness from the lack of information by adding new information.

It all depends on the piece, if your piece is very clean looking, like futuristic style, very "digital" looking stuff, it won't work, but in pieces that look "painterly" this effect looks pretty nice.

Hope it helps!

The Light and Dark Arts of Cristian Saksida
    Portfolio:http://www.chrissaksida.com
    Blog:http://cristiansaksidaarts.blogspot.com
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/crissaksida

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Saksida For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I'm taking it to a professional printer. I did ask them and they just said blowing it up should be fine, but I thought it might be worth running it past here to get some extra opinions. The unsample method sounds like a good way to go about it, my images generally have a soft treatment to them anyway so it might be ideal. What I'll do Is I'll print a test to see how things turn out, seeing it in the flesh is the best way to go about it I suppose.

Just out of interest has anyone tried the vector method? I'm wondering whether it's tailored more towards typography rather than tonal gradation?

Edit: I might as well show one of the images to give you an idea.

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is this cool program/plugin called Genuine Fractals by Onone Software which does a much better job at blowing stuff up then the default photoshop upscaling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had success with the content aware scaling in Photoshop. It takes a while to figure it out, but it does work. Try it maybe?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vectorizing an image in a program like Adobe Illustrator either automatically or by hand is a great idea but yes, only if you have something going towards typography, like a logo for instance, or a "clean looking" poster.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.