C.O.W. #179_Ruffled Roller_Voting!

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite Roller!

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jatari

3 4.11%
  • Blanester

0 0%
  • (lark

6 8.22%
  • Jaa

0 0%
  • jlind11

1 1.37%
  • Lodin

24 32.88%
  • Edward B

1 1.37%
  • basti0n

2 2.74%
  • J-Sun

1 1.37%
  • skyline

0 0%
  • scorge

14 19.18%
  • IVIATT

21 28.77%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 429 Posts
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #179 Ruffled Roller - VOTING!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #179 VOTING

Topic: Ruffled Roller

Deadline for the voting: Thursday June 17th, 2010

Posting thread (closed): http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=189610

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by scorge; June 10th, 2010 at 11:39 PM.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Jatari

Concept: Rainbow Rollers

These herbivores rely on their sight for survival due to their lack of ears and diluted sense of smell. Their sight also has evolved to play an important part in their mating season. Each year these creatures begin their courtships with elegant dances, where they roll, hop, and shake around hoping to attract mates with their brilliant colored feathers. The unfortunate ones who aren't as flashy don't last long.

Last edited by Jatari; June 9th, 2010 at 02:58 AM.
    "Life is a painting; full of happy little mistakes"
    El Sketchbook!(Updated 1/9/2011)
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ruffled Roller

[*B]Artist: [*COLOR=White]Blanester[/COLOR]

Concept: [*COLOR=White]Ruffled Roller[/COLOR]
    [/B]

Vast herds of these creatures graze the plains. When disturbed, or during migration season, they roll into a wheel like shape. This allows them to move very quickly, propelled by the large spade-shaped spines on their backs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: (lark

Concept: the rolling osarine

Name:  ruffled rolller final.jpg
Views: 2090
Size:  362.6 KB

the rolling osarine use their feathery appendages above their eyes to sense the hardness of the terrain they are rolling on. they then can adjust how hard the push off with their legs on every revolution. the legs are used like something akin to oars, but can also be used to launch the creature once it gains enough speed, and as sharp weapons to drive into enemies or prey when launched into them.

although only about the size of a basketball, they are a proud and ferocious species. once bred by an ancient civilization as pets for their beautiful fur. and because of their ability to spin for mobility was seen as a form of entertainment in racing tournaments. the rolling osarine eventually realized the slavery they were in, and also realized their biggest advantage over their masters, their sheer number. banding together they overthrew their masters and now live in the wild as an entirety. you will never see one alone.

special note... never call one cute, they are more then happy to rip your eyes out so you can never think it again.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Jää

Concept: The Pincerjacker

The Pincerjacker lives in the sea, and is about 30cm long (not counting front pincers). It is primarily a scavenger, and has incorporated this into its method of movement. To escape predators quickly, it folds in its four smaller limbs, curls up and then uses pincers stolen from the corpses of crabs to scuttle away quickly. The limbs that hold the pincers can rotate indefinitely in their sockets, enabling it to spin on them.

The feather on the tail is used by males for attracting mates during the mating season, and has a phosphorescent blue glow during this period. When threatened, this glow disappears, so the Pincerjackers can roll away in a cloud of sand, and bury itself just beneath the surface, evading the predator. Pincers may even be abandoned, if they hinder its frantic digging, but then it can no longer roll effectively.

Name:  rollingcrab23.jpg
Views: 1971
Size:  309.6 KB

Last edited by Jää; June 9th, 2010 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Jlind11

Concept: The Revplume

The revplume's primary locomotion is by rolling, which it accomplishes by curling up into a ball and contracting muscles on opposite sides of its body in a rhythmic pattern. When folded up the legs are tucked close together and the mouth (which is built on a hinge) fold backwards.
    Revplumes feed on small herbivores, but before they feast they have to "tenderize" their prey since their mouths are quite weak; that means squishing them with their bodies. once that's done they trot over to the carcase and nibble up the tasty bits.
    Revplumes communicate by using a series of colorful feather-like structures on their bellies. These "plumes" are study yet flexible, so they can be folded or extended at will but won't break. Each color pertains to a different emotion.
    -Color key:
    -Blue= Clam/Happy
    -Green= Alerted/Nervous
    -Yellow= Stressed/Afraid
    -Red= Angry (if used for a long time) or Hey! Over Here! (if used for a short time)
    while both sexes posses these "plumes", the males have much longer, more colorful ones; the females have smaller, duller signal plumes . When a male and female meet, the male will display all its colors at once, is the female shows interest they mate.

Last edited by jlind11; June 10th, 2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: cutting out unnecessary bits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    COW 179
    Artist: lodin
    Concept : Giant Artic Mantis
    The Giant Artic Mantis was living during the Eron's Age, on the bottom of Mars. During the year 2021, Ermann Yorglov, a eminent russian scientist, look at the first time one of theses creatures icebound in the south Pole. It's with this discovery that we can understand the channels, observed in the 2000s, wasn't the consequence of ancient rivers but by the traces of this creature.
    C.O.W. #179_Ruffled Roller_Voting!C.O.W. #179_Ruffled Roller_Voting!

Last edited by Lodin; June 10th, 2010 at 04:22 AM.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lodin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Edward B

Concept: Ruffled Roller

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Edward B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Basti0n

Concept: Great Feathered Weasel
    Known as the desert dragon or golden feathered dragon this creature is not actually a lizard or a bird. Believed to be a lost ancestor of many weasels and polecats this creature was found in rocky deserts and other harsh regions of the world. As a hatchling the great feathered weasel was soft and furry with downy feathers covering its body. Over time as the feathers grew in the great feathered weasel secreted unused nutrients hardening them and giving them a greater luster and rich color. Using its lithe body for movement, it surveys the area for predators or prey then falls forward and somersaults to move and stands up to survey the area afterwards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: J-Sun

Concept: Wheel Grouse [tetrao roto]
    Bird creature - puffs and curls up into an all-terrain tire shape and uses its wing-claws to get itself rolling

It is basically a bird that becomes a tire.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: skyline

Concept: rolling mould louse

Name:  cow179 final copy.jpg
Views: 1971
Size:  536.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Scorge

Concept: Armored Roller
    A sinister shadow crosses its path and the feathers of the armored Roller perk at the threat. It prepares to take off in the only fashion it knows, by rolling its body into a ball and throwing itself down a steep hill. Its armor plating allows it to roll, fall and bounce away from danger unharmed while its feathers are used in the rare occasion when a potential mate is near.

Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: IVIATT

Concept: Ruffled Roller By-the-Foot
    What was initially thought to be a massive, mutated Fruit-by-the-Foot snack food (though later noted it had more of the proportions of Bubble-Tape), the RRBtF is actually an elongated flat wormlike creature. For most of its time awake, this creature is in its rolled up form and stalks the forest looking for an open grove in which it may unfurl itself. Leaving its hind 10 feet of body unfurled, the Ruffled Roller attracts unsuspecting prey that land on its brightly colored body. Immediatly the Ruffled Roller rolls itself over the prey, smothering it within its folds, and digesting it through absorbtion.

Follow me on Tumblr -> Visual Intrigue
    Available for Commissions! Email me at mhowley@c.ringling.edu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tough call on this one between Lodin and IVIATT. But seeing as how Lodin did not include feathers or a description(that I could see anyway), my vote went to IVIATT for brilliant execution and rendering.
    A quick reminder that in the fairness of this competition, you must follow the brief and include a description with every COW entry unless stated otherwise.
    In the future, entries that lack these points will not be included in the poll, no matter how well done. Remember that we're not just painting pretty pictures, but putting some thought into the story of these creatures as well. Nuff said. (I hope)

If there are any doubts, please feel free to read the rules here.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dunno what to think about this poll. i like all the entries but not enough to vote for any of them, including my own. i guess ill keep deliberating.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I just totally failed to get anything done. Work has made me really busy during the day and really lazy in my free time, so COW was taking a back seat. Hopefully I'll be about for this coming round.

12 entries will make crits easier, at least:
    Jatari - I like the way you've created what looks like a community of these animals. It makes them much more believable. On the other hand, the silhouettes of the further ones are a little too rough and blurred. Some clarity would stop them from looking like a lazy blue smudge. Other than that, some more attention to the texture of feathers would help. I love the movement of the piece, it's dynamic and the design of the creature works quite well. I can even picture other breeds of the creature with different colourations etc.
    Blanester - Solid design, with some polish and better presentation the execution would be more on the level with the quality of the design.
    (lark - Your execution and concept are both solid and up to the standard I see you trying to push for yourself every round. Unfortunately I'm just not a big fan of the design itself, completely a personal taste thing. It was very well done, though, don't get me wrong on that count.
    Jaa - I really like the way your creature "rolls", I can totally imagine the way it moves, which is a very good thing. Try and avoid the use of black as much as you can.
    Jlind11 - I liked the description for your creature. Try and give the piece more of a dynamic sense, though. The creature is quite static at the moment. It would benefit from a more effective use of light and shadow to define forms.
    Lodin - Beautiful rendering and the frames depicting it's roll have a great sense of movement. You lost my vote based on the fact that the creature had no feathers of any kind, which is really a shame.
    Edward B - A very peculiar-looking creature. I love the palette, but I feel it could use some more texture than it has. I also would need to see it's rolling form since I have a hard time picturing it right now.
    Basti0n - Very nice design, gives a really good sense of the creature and it has a lot of personality. With tighter rendering and some more attention to background the piece would be in my top few this round.
    J-Sun - This is really similar to the cockatrice creatures from Final Fantasy XII. Check them out if you get a chance. I was also going to go for this type of roller, but thought I was a bit too close for comfort with those creatures.
    skyline - The design is really nice, and I can really feel movement to it. There's an unfortunate inconsistency wherein half of the piece has crisper, visible portions and half is blurred and out of focus.
    scorge - The clear winner, to me. Really cool design, textures, rendering. Just really beautiful piece. I love that dragon thing in the background, too. The ruffles on the rolled form look a little flatter. Those yellow flowers could use some work too, but seeing as I didn't notice them until the fourth time I looked at the piece, I'd say there are worse things to have not look as good.
    IVIATT - Really interesting and well-executed piece. The design of the creature makes both an unrolled and rolled design unnecessary which is nice. The grey areas of the inner loops feel flattened though, a little bit more visible detail would have really helped bring the piece to life. Hilarious description, loved it.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scorge: The design of your creature is believable. Overall a good job, the shield plates are illustrated with meaning which was clearly thought out. The feathers feel like an after thought and something that could have used some more problem solving. I'm very impressed because you have two fully rendered images to illustrate the different stances of the creature. *As far as rules go, I'm guessing the banner around the image wasn't a requirement for this round?*
    (lark: very interesting creature design that has a demon feel to it. In regards to the plumage it looks too much like fur in my opinion. I do like the markings on its shell I think they add a lot. Good job at creating an interesting way for it to move!
    Jaa: great work! Next time around be careful of your creatures anatomy. The arms look like they need some more meat on them and a few more joints. I do like the way you made your creature move, everything is there! I also agree to get rid of any and all black as much as possible.
    jlind11: great concept/description! I would like to see you model it more organically though. Just so the visual literature is as good as the description!
    Lodin: great skill in rendering, I wish there was a description for the creature and even some feathers. I can see something by the eyes that looks close to proto-feathers but they really really look like fur...definitely a shame! Otherwise there is no concern with your render or how your creature moves. Good Job!
    Edward B: I wish I could see this creature rolling, I think it would be hilarious! The rolls make me think it could go inside itself to give it more mobility...but the illustration doesn't tell me that. good work and Hope to see more from you in the future!
    basti0n: Your feathered weasel is a nice design. I wanted to see more of a cohesion with the background and the creature. With a little more love it would go a long way! Good Job!
    J-Sun: very interesting creature. I think it's funny that it's feathers are all where the most friction would be though. Probably very painful for the birds...hope you continue to update the work the wings do look a lot like feathers. Good Job!
    Skyline: I wish its feathers were more pronounced. Otherwise I have a good feel of the creature. Good job!
    IVIATT: wow, awesome feathers your feathers are my favorites!!! its a great design, however the eyes look problematic without protection they could get gunked up and with no hands to rub the gunk off they could be come infected. I do love the comical effect of having the little bird! Description is really original! Great work!
    Blanester: solid design its always difficult to present traditional work digitally, it loses a lot of luster when scanned imo. I'm glad to see you have a great brain and would like to see your answer to another creature though! Good Work!
    Jatari: ok note to self, first priority needs to be the creature, once you have that down then create its environment. DO SKETCHES GET IDEAS DOWN, that will help you get some more originality and create something really innovative, not just attractive. Glad to see I've learned a lot so far...now don't stop pushing.

"Life is a painting; full of happy little mistakes"
    El Sketchbook!(Updated 1/9/2011)
    DeviantArt

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jatari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lodin had me from the first post of his WIP, but in the end i voted for |V|att for pretty the same reasons scorge has already posted.

both pieces are rock solid, but |V|att just included everything asked for in the brief compared to lodin.
    great round, the other entries were very creative and well executed as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted (lark because it was an atypical approach to this concept, the idea of the arms being like oars for steering was really cool. Also very solid rendering. Especially the eyes, where they are virtually the same color as the fur, yet totally stand out as a separate objects. The backstory was entertaining too...the only thing I wanted to see was a sense of scale in the picture. You said it was the size of a basketball, but nothing in the illustration really conveys that.

Also liked EdwardB's concept, but it looked a tad on the unfinshed side, also no description. What I liked about it, again, was the atypical approach and sense of weight. The green may have been a little heavy-handed. Personally I would have pick something more yellow for the trees, as to complete the trifecta of the primary colors. (Red and blue still working well.)

Good round guys and gals!

Follow me on Tumblr -> Visual Intrigue
    Available for Commissions! Email me at mhowley@c.ringling.edu

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IVIATT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when the contest is over, then what happens to the winner's creature? I mean where does it get posted (since it doesn't look like it'll be going to the Winners Gallery ).

Also thanks Si_Swe and Jatari for the feedback. This was my 1st COW (technically) and I hope my future ones improve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations to everyone that made it to the finals!
    I ran out of time, posted my roller in my sketchbook, so if you want to see it, go there!
    Some very nice creatures again this round.! Inspiring stuff, so thank you all!

Jatari: Nice drawing, including the background.
    Blanester: very nice critter, I like traditional media myself.
    First I really liked the eyes, poking out so the animal can see where it's going while rolling about full speed .. .but then I realized that if it tipped to a side, only so slightly, it would fall on its eye and it would probably snap off.
    Lodin: very nice, although not "ruffled" enough to win the round.
    drat, gotta go! type more later

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very strong round with awesome renderings (Lodin, Scourge or IVIatt) but the concept and the description I like the most (as a biologist) is Basti0n's. For me it is the most surprising idea with a good implementation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jatari - your environment is beautiful and the creature fits with it, i wonder about its predators though since it seems to stand out quite a bit.

blanester - i like your creatures eyes and their relationship to the roll, i feel like sticking out like that they would hit things and become damaged though. nice piece in a traditional media

lark - the warpaint and story are great, i would like to see more variety in the 'feathers' of the creature.

jaa - i like how you darkened your image to show the phosphorecense (sp?) but i would stay clear of black. maybe using a dark grean blue or purple would be effective to make the red creature come forward in space and your shadow retreat.

jlind - nice creature and the use of the rolling to 'tenderize' its prey before eating. i would like to see their scale and a bit of their environment.

lodin - a beautiful creature, id like to see the ruffled parts play more prominence.

edward - i like the 'paint quality' of your image, i can definitely feel the paints weight and body. id like to see a rolled version

j-sun - i like your creature and the rumpled look of its feathers. i think it goes good with your description. i do however think it takes away from the overall creature. and wish i could see it where the feathers dont look like fur.

skyline - a good creature but i think the rendering style you chose takes away from your creatures feathers.

scorge - a well thought out creature and beautifully rendered. id like to see the banner as was mentioned. i also think the feathers in the second image could be played up a bit

iviatt - your creature is very strongly rendered but i dont think it could move around a forest and what happened if it fell on its side. not to mention having an eye on the inside of the rolls would just make it easy prey.

pixel cheetah - thanks for the compliment. i gotta admit that lack of reasoning about creature design is one of my pet peaves.

overall id really like to continue improving my skills with the pad and my ideas and seeing what you all are capable of definitely gives me inspiration and motivation, keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for lark.. cute thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A much as I love the epic design of Lodin's insectoid beast, my vote went to the equally fantastic roller by iviatt.

Really love this creatures unique design and beautiful rendering. I also felt that it fit perfectly with the brief, capturing a pose that shows it in both its rolled up and stationary stances perfectly. It also fits the ruffled feather aspect of the brief, something I felt that Lodins lacked somewhat.

Congrats to all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hard Choice (Lodin, Scorge, Iviatt)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats again Lodin on #3! Kicking ass in here!

Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to (lark for his cute, vicious roller.
    Otherwise it would have defiantly went to Iviatt.
    I also enjoyed Lodin's piece but I think it lacked some "ruffleyness" if you catch my drift.
    Jaa I really liked the uniqueness of your roller, it reminded me of some sort of sea chariot.

Members who have read this thread: 1