Sketchbook: beejazz's new doodles

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

beejazz's new doodles

I'm a long time reader first-ish time poster (might've had a false start a while ago). The extent of my art education is three years at an art magnet high school (changed schools senior year... long story) followed by one or two classes since getting to college. Plus 2.5 hrs a night drawing from life and photos while at the magnet school and absolutely constant doodling since then.

I'm not fully satisfied with my skills so far. Drawing from real life gives me pretty accurate (if not always good) results, while drawing from my head things always turn out highly stylized (in one of a number of styles, none of which looks as real as my drawing from observation). I need a better understanding of the things I draw. Also, damn near everything I've done so far has been in mechanical pencil or pen... I haven't used a proper pencil in ages. So I'm pretty weak at certain tasks. Not to mention that in both observation and doodling I'm relatively weak in landscape/scenery.

So this is where I intend to bring myself up to speed. I'll be keeping a sketchbook. I'll be drawing as much as possible. I'll be reading books and tutorials on anatomy and digital painting. And at some point I intend to start a webcomic and learn animation (because cartoons are awesome).

I might also keep a second "sketchbook" where I post old work to work out what I did right/wrong and redo or revise my best stuff.

Here in the first post, it's all stuff I did learning to use my wacom pen tablet. It's a little weird drawing one place and looking somewhere else still. I used some reference books (virtual pose4, some buddy scalera book, or another whose name I can't remember) for some of this stuff. Two of the pics are of my girlfriend. All of this was done in sketchbook pro.

EDIT: So sorry for all the white space in this first post.
    EDITEDIT: Also, how do I change the pic that goes with the thread title?

Attached Images Attached Images                        
    Last edited by beejazz; June 2nd, 2010 at 01:45 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey beejazz,

damn, long story

what i mainly see in these sketches is the fact that the line work is "sketchy". I am guilty of this myself What i mean is that you use a lot of short strokes instead of 1 continuous line for the edges.

Sketchbook:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152742

"It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value." (Arthur C Clarke)

Sketchbook Support Group Lite :
    PKHayden Purrdey Vardia beejazz
    If anyone wants to join send me a PM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks kyurai.

Yeah... I don't know if all the words was necessary. If I was real smart I might have left it at "haven't kept a sketchbook in too damn long."

You're right about those lines. Usually, I'm pretty decent at keeping it clean and simple, but the tablet is rough to learn. Need to work on the hand-eye and all that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm also learning how to animate. Hopefully this attachment works okay. I'm just starting, so here's one of the bouncing ball exercises I did in pencil.

Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be uploading a lot today and tomorrow. It's been too long since I've done this, but I have been working, so stuff has piled up. I should note that some of the sketches of kids were from google image search, and I don't recall where I got the original photos.

This is pretty much one of three sketchbooks I've been using these past two semesters. The other two are on the way, and maybe some photos of bigger stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More recent work. I'll try and get up some photos of work from my life drawing classes later.

I'm going to mess with digital painting soon, probably under or over some of this line art. So if you've got an idea of which one I should start with, that might be nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    boah, very nice sketches! i like your toon style! keep it up!

Successful Troll is Successful
    My deviantart
    My Sketchbook
    trolls exist! who else killed all the unicorns?
    My brother Partisan
    TONS OF TUTOIRALS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks... now if I could just figure out why these pics are so giant...

I'll try and photograph my Figure Drawing I work sometime in the next week so not everything in here is cartoons.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn dude ur sketches are so fluid and full of life. i personally love this suited guy....
    http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...1&d=1304361997

- - try make ur images smaller tho its hard to see them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the expressions you place on your characters. They seem to be alive!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wooli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been doing a weekly figure drawing thing most weeks. Here's a bit of stuff from that. Most of it is two minutes or so. Some of it might be ten or fifteen.

EDIT: Crap. First few are all big again. Got to figure out what to do about that.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,635 Times in 3,789 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thank goodness that last few pictures were normal size. Get Irfanview (free) to resize pictures easily.

You've got nice proportions of the life drawing and captured the gesture well. The shading, where you do it, is a bit hit and miss. This may well be due to time constraints.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    theres nice gesture to your drawings. however sometimes the lines look more gestural than considered. when you hit both then u'll be rolling. great start though.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goodness, a lot of those scanned sketches are WAY too big to see in the forum. Kyurai hit it right on the head with his first reply, a lot of your digital work feels like you're too nervous when sketching. Definitely try to loosen up a bit and capture your subjects in fewer initial strokes. The life drawing exercises seem to be turning out nicely, though they also seem a bit rushed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by in my sketchbook.. The last posts show a lot of improvement. The line strokes are more confident and the overall result is "cleaner", good job!

Members who have read this thread: 1