Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Aresa's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Oh gosh! I love, love, love those parrots! So much personality - I can totally see the chemistry between those two, lol!

I really like the colors on the last piece. Damn, I'm just addicted to the way you draw . . . in a non-creepy way.

You're observational work tends to be weaker - I know you already know this though. The drawings of your sister sleeping were fabulous! And the self-portraits from the last page were a definite improvement from the one you submitted in your portfolio. I noticed that your style tends to lean away from using sharp angles; however, sometimes in your observational work you make your subjects extremely round - like May 10th observational. It's almost like your trying to convert the subject into your style but stop halfway. Okay, so not exactly like that, but they are getting stylized. I'd like to see you maybe use more angles or lighten up on the curves in your observational stuff. Hmm . . . I don't really know how to say it so I'm not sure if that made sense.

Anyway keep it up! You're doing great! I really like how regularly you update your sketchbook. :')
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Addle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i really your recent digital work.
    it would be great to see your original characters in a comic or some story boards!
    keep up the good work(and thanks for dropping by my sb)
    Last edited by adamsimons; May 15th, 2011 at 12:02 AM.
    Princes of the Universe
    ~AdamSimons~~JustCallMeBruce!~~JamesSimons~

Thanks
    Valoo: Thank you so much!
    Addle: Thank you so much! Yeah, observational drawing is a weak point of mine unless that person stays still, haha! I looked back at my drawings and I did notice that they seem way to rounded. I'll be sure to add some sharp angles and draw them a little more stylized. Thank you so much for the help and critique! I really appreciate it!
    adamsimons: Thanks so much! I've actually gotten a lot of comments saying I should do some sort of comic, but me and comics aren't the best of pals, haha! Storyboards do sound nice, though! Thanks for the suggestions!

This was just a painting experiment. I recently download a trial version of Artrage 3 because of the watercolor tool. I like the way the watercolor tool works, but it really slows down the program. Sorry for the watermark.

Thanks
    More digital practice. Also, a sketch page.

Thanks
    Observation and sketches of the parrots.

Thanks
    i like last drawings from observation. They're different then previous, imho better linework.
    Animal works are great as usual.
    Keep on.

Thanks
    You're stuff is all so expressive, I love it! Nice to see your are tackling some realism stuff. I really like the studies of your sister. Quite lovely. Keep up the hard work!
    My sketchbook

DA

"This is a paint and pixel-splattered furnace that forges the swords of artistic mastery. This is a place where swarthy and belligerent dwarves drink turpentine mead, berate their apprentices and slap the trade into their skulls. It's where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares." --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Great birds and Tiki Spirits

Graphic Dan mentioned enviros... I'd love to see some from you... You usually need enviros for your characters anyway if you wish to draw complete pictures...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Grzessnik: Thank you so much! I'm glad that my observation drawings are getting kind of better!
    wooden mango: Thank you so much!
    shiNIN: Thanks! This is true. I will work on environments more since I'm almost done with school!

Sketch page of some birds and a shape challenge that I got from AustenFM's sketchbook!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Aresa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks a lot for the comment! I've looked through your sketchbook but I never said anything before, your cartoons and expressions are just great, really entertaining stuff. I'm also impressed that you use watercolors, makes me want to practice with them more.

Your observational work is cool, but a lot of it isn't as good as your cartoons. That confused me, I'd been thinking you could only be good with a personal style if you were super well rooted in observation and real life, but obviously there's something in just practicing your own thing. Thanks for the lesson!

I really like line, probably more than the next guy, but I think focusing on form and mass and construction more than line would help your observational stuff a lot. Building your drawings out of 3D shapes like cubes and cylinders and stuff would be a good exercise.
    Good luck with school, we're almost FREE!
    sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey, Vertical! Thank you so much for visiting!

Haha, I'm really not sure how I did that myself. Observational drawing is really hard for me because the people keep moving! I try and pack so much detail as well, which doesn't really help me that much. Studying from life has helped me a lot though, so never discount that! Haha!

Thank you so much for the critique! If you have tips on drawing people in public (because a lot of my observational drawings happen at school.) I'd love to hear them! I really appreciate it and yes! I'm almost done with school! Just this week and I'm done!

Anyways, no updates for today....I'm sorry.

Thanks
    good work on those birds
    dont give up on that observational drawing!
    Princes of the Universe
    ~AdamSimons~~JustCallMeBruce!~~JamesSimons~

Thanks
    I suppose it would be better to start off by deciding the pose and position of whoever you're drawing..like it it's a head pose it with the loomis circle method and customize it with the person's features you observe as they move around. That way you won't have to depend of seeing the features from the same angle.
    I wouldn't really know, I don't do that as much as I should. I think going to the zoo would be great practice for that, most animals move but their features aren't that varied and they won't care about you staring at them.
    Although one time I was drawing a macaw and it started looking at me and out of nowhere it was all CCCRRAAAAAUUAAHHHAWWWWGGGHGHG And I was like "Okay I'll leave! everyone's a critic..."

Awesome about school, I have just one week left too! I should probably be studying for finals now...
    Last edited by Samszym; May 22nd, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
    sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast