Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Where Once We Met the Giants

Name:  giants_big.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  472.3 KB

Trying to build a portfolio of professional-caliber environments so I can hope to get a job when I get out of school. I'd love to hear any crits you've got. Need to crack the whip on myself to get better.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've managed to create a wonderful atmosphere, calm and tensed at the same time.
    Great nature environment, very authentic feeling.

I do spot some perspective issues of the middle giant which seems to be leaning
    forwoard and a bit to the right. If this was your initial intention then ignore this remark.
    Another problematic area is the waterfall on the right which also seems to be tilted
    clockwise.
    If you tried to make that fall less steep than the others then its flow must be a whole
    less smooth. Maybe add some rocks and bumps to emphasize that..

That's it for now, hope I helped!
    I really enjoyed exploring this piece! Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh! Almost forgot..

I would love to know what brushes did you use for the piece!
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    liolev: Thanks! Glad you like it. You're spot-on with the perspective-crits. I tried to get it pretty close in my line drawing, but, as usual, I deviated quite a bit from my initial sketch. Probably a bad idea when dealing with some 3-point perspective, but I was hoping I could fudge it.

Brushes are mainly gotten through the downloads here on CA. Mostly Whit's, as well as a couple by Coro, and maybe even some from Kemp. And a couple of my own to round out the bunch.

Thanks again for the comments! Much appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I would ad more light passing thru trees, as its realy cool. So some of it on the closest giant, and more illuminated left waterfall. the red fellah is look to much like a match, try to give him some pose.
    Also would pobobly trim 1/3 from the right

great work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The scenery itself is looking really great!

One thing that caught my binocular is that the giants don't feel big. I'm not sure if you were going for this but I figured it's what you were aiming at from the name of the piece.

I cant quite figure what's causing this but maybe it's the perspective or the fact that they seem to be standing on a higher cliff that the water falls, creating an illusion of them being regular size. Or then it's just me

otherwise liking it very much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe if you would add a character or something else like a temple next to the giants to give some indication of their size?

EDIT: It might just be the initial way I looked at the picture that gave me the impression of smallness, looking it again with different approach they don't seem to be that small anymore. But i think there's still a slight change for interpretation of size in the picture.

Last edited by Juki; June 2nd, 2010 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for this abrupt burst of posts.

One thing that might help is to make the darker part of the pond seem more connected to the pond on the other side of the giant dividing them (now I get the feeling that its next to the giant on a high cliff for some reason). Also if some rock was trailing its way from the left side falls to the giant to make them more connected and thus losing the possible illusion of giants being on a higher ledge?

Just a few suggestion. Again apologies but this image seems to haunt me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know CA.org is not the place for asspats and such but I really aspire to be able to do things like this one day. I am envious.

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,376 Times in 3,597 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In addition to what's been said the giant at the back looks separate from his surroundings. Maybe make the folds a lot darker to match the foliage. Generally there is a lack of darkness in those small recesses that would give it more depth. It's not going to take much to make this buzz.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool

Nothing new to add about the style from the previous comments. One thing about the concept though...

I think it would be really awesome if there was a rock bridge from one side of the chasm to the other. I guess it depends on what you want to depict. I just figured it might add to the suspense. Right now, we aren't sure what the character will do. If you put a bridge in there, it's clear that he wants to cross, and it gives a kind of anticipation because the giants are watching him.

good luck with the folio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Danilo: Yeah, the figure is a little plain. Thanks for the suggestions.

Juki: Thanks for all the suggestions. I do think you're right that a few tweaks could make it read better as "big." Something to work on, I suppose.

Pezzle: Just because I'm a loyal CAer doesn't mean that my bum doesn't need a good patting here and there. Thanks.

Black Spot: Thanks. I was having some difficulty getting that guy to fit into the scenery. I think you're right on with the contrast suggestion.

meDrawUC: Thanks! I definitely need to work in getting narrative into my art, and those are some good ideas there. Much appreciated.

Thanks to all! Now, back to work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As mentioned above, I would like to add that the statue on the left that has the light coming from behind him should be darker then the rest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really dig this painting. Other than what has already been said, the only thing that jumps out at me is the brown space to the left of the waterfall is kind of dead space. Maybe put in some rock texture or something. Otherwise great job!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.