Stone Angel and a Fallen Bulb
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Stone Angel and a Fallen Bulb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Stone Angel and a Fallen Bulb

Some still-life works done for a past Christmas, oil pastels on black construction paper. I'm uploading these even though they are a little old because I did not have an account here back then, and I would still like some critique. ^^; I have not worked much in this medium since, so I'm still at basically the same level.

They are not supposed to be strictly realistic...I wanted to mix at least a semi-realism into them, but also leave them somewhat stylized. The feel/style was inspired by the works of Edvard Much, who I adore. >w< This isn't really supposed to look extremely like his stuff (I could never be that awesome), but yeah. He was the inspiration for them.

I enjoy working with oil pastels. I used to hate them because I couldn't do a thing with them, but now I'm experimenting and finding ways to actually make them look decent. ^_^ I'd love any advice on this medium in particular, as well as all other critique.

Oh yeah, poor quality because I had to scan them in pieces and then puzzle them back together digitally. <<; Sorry.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    "Ideas are bulletproof." - V
    ~Sketchbook~
    ~Moar dumb arts~
    ~Photography~
    ~Silly videos~
    ~Ye olde Tegaki~
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've only worked with pastels a little bit (mostly in elementary school, ha!), but from what I learned, pastels lend themselves well to mixing colors and hues in a not too over-blended kind of way. The one thing I notice about your pieces is that each element seems fairly monochrome, so I would suggest working in other hues, based on temperatures of colors you're going for, especially if you're going for that Edvard Munch feel.
    Also, I can't tell if it was just the scanning process that made them that way, but the pieces are pretty dark with not much contrast, so I would also suggest adding more highlights to lift the images up off your black canvas.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wooblood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the upper one, like the dark key.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Danilo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wooblood: Thank you so much for your observations! They were extremely helpful. I agree with everything you've pointed out, and for some reason I never realized the monochrome before. And yeah, the scans came out really crappy and dark...but I think you have a point there, too. Again, thank you so much! I can't wait to try this medium again.

Danilo: Thank you! ^-^

"Ideas are bulletproof." - V
    ~Sketchbook~
    ~Moar dumb arts~
    ~Photography~
    ~Silly videos~
    ~Ye olde Tegaki~

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.