Spartan Camp #138 - 50 gestures + Optional "Master Study"

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Spartan Camp #138 - 50 gestures + Optional "Master Study"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 664 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 6th of June.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Master Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:
    You will need reference for this one, but you do not have to limit yourself to the 'classical masters' (i.e. da Vinci, Michelangelo). You can also pick more contemporary artists often considered as masters (i.e. Frank Frazetta or Donato Giancola, you name it). The definition of 'master' may be somewhat subjective - but I hope you get the general aim of this study. Just pick a great artist and study the way he/she does anatomy drawing. No need to copy or trace, but see if you can analyze the technique/composition/methods/etc used. There's no shame in learning from them!

Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Have fun!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Critting each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #137

Aestheticmachine
    shiNIN
    Sealegs
    korpehn

Last edited by Anthis; June 2nd, 2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Added the optional study

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I owe an apology for suddenly disappearing without any notice. Been caught up in other things, but I admit I also slacked on keeping this going.

I do intend to keep this going! So I've posted a new round (will edit and add optional study topic tomorrow) and I'll be back in myself. Lets go for it!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    AnthisGlad you're back with us

Here's mine for the week...

Attached Images Attached Images        

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glad you're back ^^

"It's not rocket surgery." _Sebudai

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AestheticMachine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in this week for the first time.. :B

Um not sure about the placeholder bit.. will you update the topic later?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elissimo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Angel Intheuk; Nice studies... Hadn't heard of Thomas Easley, always good to add some names to the list. Always welcome! You don't shy away from the tough posemaniac angles either, thats good. You're pretty good at those proportions, even though I don't see any construction lines (erased?). Keep working on the values!

Here's the first bunch - rest to be added later.
    A few movie shots, 'life drawings', and studies after Loomis

Spartan Camp #138 - 50 gestures + Optional "<a href=Master Study"" title="Spartan Camp #138 - 50 gestures + Optional "Master Study"" />

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HD crashed a couple months back, took a long time to get photoshop back on. haven't done much of any artsy stuff in a long time. Anyway, thought I would toss a few in to support the camp.
    Feels like I have gone backwards.

Spartan Camp #138 - 50 gestures + Optional "<a href=Master Study"" title="Spartan Camp #138 - 50 gestures + Optional "Master Study"" />

Recently been working with color. Did this without first doing a greyscale value thing, just painting over a doodle.

Hope to get back into this, gotta shake all the rust off.
    Been working on this, but can't seem to get the mouth right. (any advice/draw over welcome

Last edited by bakadoodle; June 4th, 2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: added more

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bakadoodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Angel IntheUK- Nice job capturing the perspective on some of those quick poses. I like the idea of doing a shape silhouette outline of the figure...Nice Hatching- Keep it up.

Anthis- Nice heads! I especially like the first profile. awesome that u are drawing from life, nice job capturing the poses ...i should really do that too. cool heads from life? nice loomis studies & value/hatching.

bakadoodle- nice lines, watch your proportions....working in grey scale first would really help your painting I think. Yeah features are hard, just draw lots of em!

Some crits on the paintings-
    These pieces just SCREAM "digital art" in a bad way... because u just use soft airbrush and dodge and burn? Its easier to avoid this look if u use a hard brush or mix of brushes.Work on texture and lighting.

With the face it looks like u are making the mistake of just placing features, and not considering the structure of the head as a whole.
    The right eye is bigger then the left...it looks like the eyes are taken from a photo? They eyes are more realistic than the nose, unless you were painting a baby? It looks creepy that there is no eyebrows at all or mouth. I drew over it real quick...anyways, hope it helps.

Last edited by Sealegs; June 6th, 2010 at 04:31 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sealegs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Sealegs that's outstanding! That is the exact perspective I was looking for and couldn't seem to find, I can see now what I was doing wrong in the facial structure. Specifically missing the jaw 'line' on the left. I was aiming for an open mouth 'scream' expression. People say hands are hard.. I think mouths are a hundred times harder.

I don't use dodge and burn much at all (if ever) during the paint phase, maybe a little after it is done for lighting.

You're right about the placing features thing. This one I just started playing with her right eye and building up from there. No photo or reference at all. The reason the eyes look so different is because the canvas started out at 1600x1200 100dpi, then I increased it to 2600x2400 300dpi so I could really get in to detail in the iris on her left eye.

You're awesome! thank you so much. It's always a joy to see your gestures (or anything you do for that matter)

Anthis Your crosshatching leaves me in awe. That's an art form all in itself.

Angel For 60 sec gestures those are fantastic. Would love to see some longer studies

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bakadoodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gesturals are from Posemaniacs.com

Name:  2010_JUN_05_1.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  154.7 KB

Name:  2010_JUN_05_2.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  126.5 KB

Name:  2010_JUN_05_3.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  143.6 KB

Name:  2010_JUN_05_4.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  148.5 KB

I already started to reproduce a painting in oils for my master study but it's not going to be done in time : / Still, it's fun and I am learning some things as I go.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elissimo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bakadoodle - Good to hear you got it back up! Nice poses, the 'puppet' one is an interesting approach. Top left one has nice proportions. I think your problem with the digital ones is that you are starting with the details. I believe the common/classical approach is to start with the big shapes and then work your way into the details.

Sealegs - Thanks! I really enjoyed the 'public space sketches'. They really force you to quickly analyze the important shapes and to pot them on paper quickly. Great exercise.
    Nice job on that paintover, very accurate. I think those clothed poses of yours are really good, I keep running into problems. Very solid work, and improving! Not sure if those boxers are referenced but if so - got a good source?

Elissimo - Nice job! Those proportions are pretty accurate. And you are not afraid of the tough, foreshortened poses. You may want to consider some different approaches for those studies. For example trying some construction lines, or flow lines along the spine to guide you. You've got a good eye for some of the anatomical details in those poses, and glad to see an anatomy study too. Just be careful - posemaniacs can sometimes be a little confusing on the muscles. Take with a grain of salt! Good job.

Some more sketches

Spartan Camp #138 - 50 gestures + Optional "<a href=Master Study"" title="Spartan Camp #138 - 50 gestures + Optional "Master Study"" />Spartan Camp #138 - 50 gestures + Optional "Master Study"

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    erm... hi. I was a little busy, drew a few things but not digitally and many of them with a hard pencil so it would have been ugly when photographed. And my Bouguereau study isn't finished either. But I started it thanks to this activity

bakadoodle: Just as Sealegs said. Use hard brushes (and not with a too low opacity either ) and draw the whole head... It's more difficult to draw it properly when you don't see with your physical eyes which feature is where... And if you fradually refine your drawing, you can stop when you're tired and it can still look nice though sketchy

I'm definitely in for the next round. We will have one this week, right?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.