Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

Artists and mind altering substances? No argueing please :)

I was just wondering what some peoples takes on drugs/alcohol are on this forum. For the most part the rest of the internet is filled with "drugs are crazzzyyy awesommmee mann....." or "drugs are evil and your dick will fall of then attempt to choke you to death!" but generally these forums have intelligent people with well informed opinions.

So whats your take? I enjoy alcohol to relax on weekends, nothing like beers and a game of poker or pool, but other then that I really have limited knowledge. I've smoked pot a couple times, its ok but I find I tend to just get bored and sleepy. Anyone have experience with hallucinogens such as mushrooms or acid? And has the trip affected your art in anyway, such as ideas or just a new perspective on how you go about things? I was just curious as to some other peoples experiences.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I'm pretty sure this topic was already done to death on the forums somewhere. No crime in starting another, but largely we're going to hear the same stuff.

Personally caffeine and alcohol are the only drugs I've "been on" during the creation of my art (or ever). Neither are so mind altering that their influence would have any impact however.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    Mind altering substances are unnecessary and a lot of money. You can experience similarly mind-altering/transcendent things through lucid dreaming, astral projection, prolonged meditation, etc...

But I admit I've always wanted to try psychedelics and I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it...

Thanks
    Well, I'm a sucker for topics like this.

I've never used hallucinogens as part of the process of actually creating a piece of art.

I think their "worth" lies in the perspective they add to your life as a whole--it's hard to hang on to the same rigid dogma of belief (or disbelief), assumptions, worries, etc. that characterise your life when your entire world of visual and mental perception is completely turned upside-down by a few mushrooms you can find out walking, or a piece of paper 1/4 the size of a stamp. That shift in perspective can affect your art too, sure, but it's not an intrinsic part of the experience (aside from some cool patterns you may want to recreate ).

I don't think hallucinogens are necessary, nor do I think they are any more useful than other forms of moving beyond your self, but I think they are an experience worth trying--with respect and caution of course!

Thanks
    I don't smoke or take drugs of any kind. Although I drink alcohol about twice a year. I try to live a healthy lifestyle.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brad.houghton View Post
    ...I enjoy alcohol to relax on weekends, nothing like beers and a game of poker or pool...
    I find that alcohol can help me relax so that I don't get too hung up over a piece, and I'm more willing to try different colors or styles out on it. However, I'm not reliant on alcohol for this; there are various ways to achieve a deep level of relaxation, such as meditation and massage. I highly recommend both.

I haven't really considered doing the harder stuff because I come up with enough weird shit on my own. I have lucid dreams that are both terrifying and ridiculously graphic ... I don't even know how I come up with stuff like that since I hate horror and gore movies. o_O;;

Sketchbook!
    Deviantart!

"Best
    you've got to be the best
    you've got to change the world
    and use this chance
    to be heard
    your time is now" - Butterflies & Hurricanes by Muse

Thanks
    Caffeine seems to have no effect on me. As for alcohol, it all tastes bitter, so I just don't like it. Never tried anything else.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    I get inspired to create new characters based on crazy random peeps I meet at parties. I like psychedelics once every few years. They're definitely not relevant to drawing skills even if your a surrealist. Andrew Jones is the only artist I can truly say has genuine psychedelic work.

Thanks
    I've only had weed before, and never whilst trying to be productive. Only about 8 - 12 times a year and usually whilst in deep esoteric and philosophical debates. It gets real interesting when you can't remember the argument your were making points for just now. I'm interested in trying out mild hallucinogens, but again purely out of curiousity and not an attempt to uplift my work from it. It's on the bucket list.

I do love my beer and I do love my whiskey and the occasional merlot or shiraz (cabs too), but this also never gets involved in the process of working. There's a time and a place for it.

In fact, apart from smoking (and its occasional head rush), I've never used any mind-altering substances whilst trying to work, and I'm not really interested in trying it out either. My best work gets done when I'm sober, thinking clear and deadlines are looming.
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    I suppose Iím the clean living type. I donít drink many caffeinated drinks, Iím not fond of coffee or tea and I mostly drink water. Iíve never been much fond of alcohol and in the last year have stopped drinking it all together. People have said its rather interesting painting something when youíre drunk but I donít much enjoy being drunk so I doubt I will try it myself. I havenít tried any other type of drugs and it will probably remain that way.

Iím much more interested in getting ideas from dreams and such. Iíve been trying ways of having lucid dreams actually. I donít know if it is working yet or if it will. Although I have had one instance where I did realise I was dreaming not long ago, this is only the second time in my life I remember realising it. Unfortunately it didnít last long and the dream changed and I forgot again. Along with that I have started to remember some of my dreams again. Although I do go through fazes where I remember some of my dreams and then donít. I think I should start a dream diary.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PurplePlatypus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    Coffee Although, I've been realizing, for some reason I can't really handle it in the summer. Even if it's cold and has some milk. I drink loads of it in the winter though. Tea is a fine replacement all year round.

If I do ever try alcohol, the only type I'm interested in is sake. It's probably just the Japan-o-phile in me.

And I've always wondered about salvia.
    Last edited by velderia; May 31st, 2010 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks
    PurplePlatypus: Here's a website that should help you: http://www.ld4all.com/

brad.houghton: I did mushrooms once, which was the first (and so far last) time for me and a friend of mine. Not to increase my creativity, but just for the experience. It ended up being a "bad trip" and a bad experience altogether, but I don't regret doing it. I got a new experience, albeit a bad one (not all experiences are supposed to be good anyway) and a new bit of insight. Basically, my opinion is the same as Oden's on this.

As for my experience: I didn't really know beforehand what it would mean to "see things". Mushrooms (and I assume that this goes for other hallucinogens too) don't really mess with your vision as much as they mess with all your senses and emotions. Looking back, I didn't even really see things as much as I felt and experienced the presence of them. I felt like there were things in the walls and in the curtains watching us, and that made me scared. Artists and mind altering substances? No argueing please :)
    I tried to close my eyes, but that didn't work. Instead of seeing nothing at all, I got to see fractals dance before my mind's eye.
    Thoughout all of this though, I was still able to think straight. I knew it would be over in six hours and I just had to sit it out for the time being.

In my opinion your creative process shouldn't rely on hallucinogens. It's good if you can let those experiences compliment your creative process - as should all experiences - but you shouldn't rely on them.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armonah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Tried it all from age of 15 till 20, and it was fun. Now just beer and maybe some new years eve blow

M

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    "Drunkenness equalizes, makes uniform, and depersonalizes. Only beings composed of nothingness and mediocrity are capable of elevating themselves a little with alcohol" - Salvador Dali

That's how I feel about drugs in general. They are shortcuts to fun.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karmazon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MatejaPetkovic View Post
    Tried it all from age of 15 till 20, and it was fun. Now just beer and maybe some new years eve blow

M
    Same.

Fun at the time but I'm done with it. I chose to do it it while my organs were young and up for it and that suits me better than being sat on my deathbed wondering what it would have been like.
    (For the record LSD = crazy, crazy stuff, approach with serious caution)

I don't think it had any real influence on anything I draw or paint but it's fun viewing the world through a bizarro filter for a while.

These days I am powered by caffeine (yes, I know that's drugs too..) and the Power of Rock.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MatejaPetkovic View Post

M
    Yup, same deal. I'm happy those times are behind. Sometimes I get nostalgic, sometimes I just feel sick to my stomach remembering how fucked up things were.
    Last edited by Ryan K; June 1st, 2010 at 12:17 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    Don't do that stuff "for your creativity" because while you are going through it, you will be able to do nothing more than what amounts to note taking. After you have come out the other side you will have a hard time interpreting your own notes.

I'm not saying it won't change you personally, and I am not saying it won't change you for the better or occaisionally for the worse. It's a little like Lothlorien. Are you bringing the evil in there with you? Don't do it with crazy friends who will decide to go bungee jumping or trespassing on government installations. And yes, acid is a much more serious investment than mushrooms or peyote.

I am waiting until they perfect soma: "Half gram for a half hour holiday, one gram for a weekend. Two grams for a trip to the gorgeous East, three for a dark eternity on the Moon."

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, lots of replies. I wasn't really thinking of using and then trying to make art (done that drunk, and have to say the results in the morning are pretty funny, but ultimately a waste of paint lol) I'm interested in the hallucinogens just to sort of get a different perspective/ maybe have a good time, although i think acid is a little out of my league. I've tried salvia, the first time I did it it was amazing, had an incredibly fun, lucid trip and afterward felt very positive for quite some time, but the 2nd time was just horrible and now I'm a little on the fence with it. Does anyone have any good experiences with mushrooms? So far in this thread and from what else i've heard it seems like it could be pretty scary at times.

Thanks
    I'm crazy enough without any help

If I want to completely change my mental state, I just go without sleep for a little bit hahaha (or! get a LOT of sleep).

mmm, caffeine doesn't do much to me. It can keep me up if I drink a lot.... or make me tired earlier if I suddenly stop, but that's about it.

Thanks
    Anything that fucks with your head is a no-go in my book. Majority of drugs just aren't healthy for your body and I don't like the idea of not being in control of my mind. Haven't seen anything good stem from drug usage either. Been sober my entire life and plan on staying that way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper_ View Post
    But yeah, definately recommended, just be ready and know what your getting into.
    lol! ...Uhmmm, don't recommend it! LOL!

Thanks
    I recommend heroin. Just know what you're getting into and be SAFE.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to karmazon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by karmazon View Post
    I recommend heroin. Just know what you're getting into and be SAFE.
    Thanked and quoted for emphasis! But you might want to warm up with a lesser drug, like, meth.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    Let's not comparing drugs that are completely different from one another. The reason other threads like this get locked is because someone who's seen one too many public service announcements starts making outrageous claims about how all drugs are equally dangerous.
    I'm not saying all drugs are equally dangerous, but I am saying there is no such thing as a safe drug. So saying, "I recommend this drug just be safe," is fucking hilarious. And I know it says no argueing, but this is arguing.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to karmazon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    I think you should think about this topic seriously. Allot of my friends died or lost everything they had because of it. So be smart.
    Btw it won't help you with art in any way

M

34. The Following User Says Thank You to meth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The drugs I expose my body to are: coffein (a lot), alcohol (rakija, beer, wine, ocasional tequila/whiskey) and weed.

Fact #1: When making art under the influence of weed (tried twice) you THINK you are connected with your piece and it will bring progress...
    In fact, when you take a look at it the next day you realize you spent 2 hours "polishing" a square inch and it looks like shit anyways. Don`t do it. The stories about "taking something that helps you to be creative" and all that bullshit is just....well, it`s bullshit.

Fact #2: When trying to make art under the influence of alcohol you realize it`s a total fail because your sight is blurry and there is an actual interference between the brains giving orders and the arm (not) doing what it has been told. Don`t do it.

But maybe you need these experiences to happen in order to see how non-productive they are.

cheers
    D

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Darjan Jurincic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    The main problem with most drugs besides the health risks is they are illegal in most countries and so you run the risk of being jailed or ending up getting hurt or being robbed from the kind of people who make their living selling drugs. Also it is hard to control the dose because of the way illegal drugs are processed and manufactured. This is especially true with substances like cocaine and lsd and psilocybin which are regularly substituted for cheaper inferior compounds.

In the sixties and seventies when the drug culture saw an increase in use in the regular population it was easier to get drugs and not worry about the illegality and danger so much but that changed and now I think the risk benefit ratio is seriously diminished.

Having said that there were some early studies that showed casual drug users could benefit psychologically from limited use of some psychotropic drugs, I searched for them online but found nothing. I think the war on drugs has effectively silenced any research money into those areas now.

My own experience with drugs was a positive one for the most part; but not so much with many of my friends who ended up being killed (alcohol, cocaine), jailed or lost everything to drug debt.

Thanks
    What it comes down to:

1) Don't use drugs for art, they do not seem to give a postive effect.
    2) Use drugs for fun times. From time to time.
    (23:41:52) (ArneLurk) I woner of there are people who have hairy penises

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Caffeine is all i ever need. Drugs seem entirely unnecessary, and stupid for many reasons already mentioned here. I'd like to think that the good old fashioned imagination shouldn't need something like drugs to produce interesting results.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The 'drugs=creativity' argument completely disregards the creativity of the artists, who put a lot of work into what they're producing. That's not to say they can't spur creative thought, but then so can a walk in the park.
    My sketchbook, if you really want to see it...

"Picasso is a painter, so am I;... Picasso is Spanish, so am I; Picasso is a communist, neither am I." - Salvador Dali

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kagemusha22 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast