There - environment painting
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

There - environment painting

Hi everyone!
    This will be my second thread here. I got a lot of nice feedback last time, so I'm hoping for more on my newest image.

I'm not used to painting environments, so this is me trying to do something about it. The image is more or less "done", but I need to know what to do better for my next one.

Thank you!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

FourTonMantis is offline Without vision we will die Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dig it. I think some of your edges could be crisper, especially the ones closest to the viewer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Along the same lines as what FourTonMantis said, you need hard edges, but further than that it looks like your foreground is being hit by quite a bit of light... albeit possibly indirect light. Your painting doesn't seem to account for that, though.

Rather than just making the edges "hard" you can use some semi-hard-edged (70%~80%?) lighting on the surfaces that are facing the light source. This will make the foreground pop out a bit, add the harder edges and give the viewer an idea of what type of environment they are looking at. You can play with that lighting effect to add detail there such as shimmering surfaces, undergrowth, or whatever you intend to be there.

I should add, though, be careful because it seems like a painting in which you could easily overdo the lighting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you both Yes I tried making the objects in the foreground crisper... but I guess they aren't crisp enough yet. I do agree that it's easy to overdo the lighting in this sort of image... and I was worried I had done that already. The light reflections don't really make sense on the orbs, and as you said, they should be highlighted towards the "background". Don't know why I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you should enlarge canvas up to about golden ratio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually had to google to see what the golden ratio is. Really happy I learned about it, so thank you I'll definitely think about it in the future!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems like the melon/bubble things are kind of all clustered together (most are in the lower third of the painting). Maybe you could spread them out a bit to give them more of a sense of randomness. If they are growing on the trees then making some just budding and some large maybe one dropped off so that you get a feeling of the time that it takes for these things to grow. If you look in a forest you will see that there are plants/flowers/fruits in different stages of development. This is because they didn't all start at the exact same time. Just a thought. I really like the idea of these glowing fruit/egg things though. They really have a sense of mystery. I keep making up ideas of what exactly they are.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.