Mechanical Pencil vs Regular Pencil
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mechanical Pencil vs Regular Pencil

Inspired by the pencil vs tablet thread, I'd like to hear your opinion on mechanical pencils versus regular go-find-a-sharpener pencils. Do you enjoy using one over the other?

I myself enjoy both kinds of pencils. My art teacher told me to avoid using mechanical pencils as much as possible as it's got a consistent line and controlling it can be a bit of a pain, so when it comes to drawing on a large canvas I prefer regular pencils. When I draw my more stylized work, or I'm working on a smaller sheet, I prefer mechanical pencils as they are thinner and allow for greater detail. I also used them in class to take notes (when I wasn't drawing notes), so I'm more comfortable with them as well.

Last edited by DBZMerciter2005; May 29th, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
    My Sketchbook-Deviant Art - Livejournal

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional." - Buddhist Saying
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I only use drafting pencils. I like the graphite available for them much more and the fact you don't need to sharpen it is a huge convenience.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually like using mechanical pencils when it comes to taking notes or giving tests because it is much easier and no sharpening trouble. But I like to your normal sharpen pencils while drawing, it just makes the drawing much better.

Last edited by Rifat Mansur; May 31st, 2010 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like mechanical for the convenience, especially on-the-go, but regular pencils have a lot more going for them in terms of deciding what kind of line to lay down. Mechanicals are nice for light sketching, though.

And I definitely use mechanical for writing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Mechanical pencils are great for backgrounds and the like, although I prefer regular wood pencils for most other applications. They've got a great deal of variation available, depending on how you hold them, how firmly you press, and so on. So it depends a lot on what application you're talking about.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The funny thing is, my pencil preferences fluctuate all over the place. When sketching I use wooden HB pencils, soft graphite sticks, and black colored pencils interchangeably - depending on whether I am in a mood for precise line, loose sketchiness, or tonal work.

I use an electric sharpener, so the ease of sharpening is a non-issue. It takes one or two seconds to restore a point.

I only use mechanical 0.5 mm pencil for writing drafts, not for drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For sketching i use un-sharpened wooden pencils, i kinda like the bigger strokes + it's easier to erase, because the tip doesn't damage the paper as much. When I'm happy with the lines i'll probably use the mechanical pencil to give them finished and sharp look.

I also use mechanical pencil for writing almost everything. I dislike pens and I'll only use them if it's necessary like on exam or something.

I'm using cheap $1 mechanical pencils, and they seem to have only 2 leads and can not be re-stocked. I wonder if it would be better to buy something better and refill it with leads instead of buying whole pencils... i also heard there are colored leads like blue and red. Definitely something to check out next time i visit the art store.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use mech pencils because they're handy. My art teacher used to hate me using it P: . About the lines being consistent, only the smaller leads are that way; I prefer 1,0 2b.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I prefer regular. I only use mechanical pencils for eyelashes and such.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hb mechanical pencils, although recently I've run out and I just use random pencils that I find

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm starting to take a liking to drafting pencils personally.

I'm starting to use my 2mm leaderholder more often compared to my other mechanical pencils, specifically since it can get more line variation and can be sharpened to a point if need be. When it comes to those tiny details however, it's usually the .3mm's job

I still use colored pencils for things like construction though, since I find it easier to get lighter with them.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Leadholders.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use a Fixpencil like this red one, best of both worlds:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is a fixpencil just like a leadholder or is it something different?

Personally I only use mechanical pencils. .5mm and .3mm ALVIN DRAFT/MATICs. I've been thinking about getting a few leadholders though. How much do they usually run? Also, do they require a special kind of sharpener?

Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a leadholder but one of the best, if not the best. The Fixpencil has a sharpener inside the push-button, they last more than a life time and don't make a mess like wood pencils.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Leadholders.
    Agreed.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggum View Post
    Is a fixpencil just like a leadholder or is it something different?

Personally I only use mechanical pencils. .5mm and .3mm ALVIN DRAFT/MATICs. I've been thinking about getting a few leadholders though. How much do they usually run? Also, do they require a special kind of sharpener?
    I bought a Helix leadholder over at OfficeMax for about $10. It came with the pencil, 12 pieces of lead, and an eraser/lead sharpener.

It should last me a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like 6b wood pencils.
    what it can do: Moves over the surface smooth and easy, easy to get darks, nice texture suggests various surface qualities and lighting effects, thick rich lines.
    what it can't do: can't get smooth gradations, can't get even lights, can't get a flat smooth tone since paper surface shows through.
    I use an electric sharpener.
    For mechanical pencils I tend to use a .7 with 2b lead. .5 and .3 are too skinny and dig into the paper, but they are useful for working small and/or detailed. Mostly just use the .7 for quick notes in a linear style, I'm currently not interested in rendering and detail.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I typically use a normal pencil. I was always taught to sharpen my pencils with a razor blade and a sandpaper block. So you can make that point as sharp as you need. At the same time you can use the side of the pencil.

haha my teacher would say I want that pencil so sharp that if I threw it at you ; it would stab you.

anyways that's what works for me.

edit: I did once use a mechanical pencil for a silver point drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lead holder with a soft pencil grip is best to me. Though usually I keep a mechanical pencil in my pocket/car when I'm out because they're small and get the job done.

Members who have read this thread: 7