Tablet vs Pencil
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tablet vs Pencil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tablet vs Pencil

I hate that every time i used a tablet to do some sketches with it, it doesn't come out nearly as good with a good old paper and pencil. Doesn't anyone have the same issues?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone has the same issues. Control of the pencil is simply more natural than control of the stylus: the feedback is just better with a pencil.

So don't beat yourself too much, it's not you.

What you could do to make it less frustrating is ditch the idea of using the stylus like a pencil. Sketch with the stylus as if it were a marker or a brush. Making broad strokes and big blots is much more suited to the tablet than the thin line.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I generally like it sketching in PS, sometimes depending on the subject but I understand people complaining about it (ofc you're not the only one). A radical, obvious, solution is to just not use the stylus for sketching and scan your linework.
    Other than that, I believe it may help (more or less) to customise your "pencil" brush so it feels a little "heavier" than the 3 pixel default round brush.
    Two suggestions > pencil brush.zip.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's because it's a bit harder to coordinate. Tablet you're looking at screen while moving stylus, pencil, you're looking at your paper to draw. You can try a tablet pc or cintiq (that's more money) or just continue practicing and it gets better.

It may also depend on other factors like software and make of tablet. If you use a pencil with a lot of tilt, you can try Painter 11's real pencils and work with them.

You may find Photoshop harder to use but may like something like Open Canvas 1.1, or Easy Paint Tool Sai.

Some people find sketching easier in Sketchbook Pro over anything else.

It just varies from person to person in feeling comfortable sketching in that right program.

It may also be better to not sketch with a blinding white screen. Try putting in a more neutral grey background and working that way. I find my eyes tend to strain with white screens whereas paper it's not bad - and paper isn't this "pure white"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If practicing drawing on the Wacom can help to train hand-eye coordination, then this may be an exercise better than blind contour drawing. I've been thinking about this since several days ago.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never managed to find a good pencil brush in either photoshop or painter that I like. It's been far easier to just accept that and start to enjoy sketching with the default brushes. The sooner I stopped looking for a pencil to replace what I do in traditional media, the sooner I started to like sketching in digital media.

Keep in mind that I wouldn't recommend anyone to use 2D digital media without a cintiq or tablet pc of some kind.

Website Sketchbook

"If it looks wrong, it is wrong."

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've found that drawing on the computer compliments my drawing with pencil. Every step I take in whatever medium, helps the other. Possibly it boils down more to drawing everyday regardless of the medium. Switching every now and then only confirms it if you put the effort in the first place.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe someday Wacom comes up with a pen that enables the user to shade with the side of the tip like you can with a real pencil.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been a TabletPC owner for years.....I constantly tell myself I'm going to top off the dusty sketchbooks I had prior to getting it. Working daily with the Wacom became an addiction of sorts. Experience with the no-contact nature of the airbrush already planted the gist of hand/eye coordination in me before I started going digital, my issue at first was relaxing and letting it flow. If you are used to using different mediums, it's only natural that the stylus is inevitable evolution. Now, for those extreme weather times when power is knocked out for days, daylight and candles are a precious commodity, the pencil wins(and spray cans so you can hit those walls you've been watching every time you go to work or the store ). Sketchbook Pro 2010 baby

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It might be because the tablet you have has a glass like surface i had this problem with the intuos 3 , the intous 4 has a really nice paper textured surface which i love, so im starting saving , hope that helps

http://illingworthartjourney.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's funny, I was thinking about this the other day when I was cross-sketching between both mediums (the tablet and the pencil). And I feel there's more control in the pencil than there was with the stylus + tablet..

I guess maybe it's coz we're all just trying to make the stylus "work like" a pencil. You know like how when PC users switch to MAC and find that mac may not be responding the way we expect it to.. It's because we subconsciously expected it to respond like a windows machine.

Just my 2 cents. Love Sketchbook Pro 2010 too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostroponis View Post
    It might be because the tablet you have has a glass like surface i had this problem with the intuos 3 , the intous 4 has a really nice paper textured surface which i love, so im starting saving
    In the meantime, you can tape a piece of paper over the active area of your intuos3.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLion View Post
    I hate that every time i used a tablet to do some sketches with it, it doesn't come out nearly as good with a good old paper and pencil. Doesn't anyone have the same issues?
    Yes. It's probably something I can improve on with a lot of practice; but I just don't like working digitally. I feel a step or two removed from what I'm trying to create. On the other hand, I firmly believe that working with a variety of media adds to our skillset by forcing us to think about things in a fresh way, so I'll probably plod on until it feels more comfortable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've taped a piece of paper (as dose mentioned above) over my wacom in the past to give it a more natural feel. It's nice for some things, but other times it feels like the nib catches a little. That could be just because I've been using the same nib for so long that it's got a slight edge on one side though. Mostly the problem is the paper peeling up along the edges, but the paper can always be swapped out or taped down more thoroughly. Intuos4 is a bit more pencil and paper like in it's feel, but with looking at the screen instead of your hand it will never be quite the same. Dunno what the cintique4 is like in this regard. Can't really tape paper over it. Maybe tracing paper... hmm...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's not tablet VS pencil
    it's tablet AND pencil

Writing is good, thinking is better. Cleverness is good, patience is better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm actually the opposite. I prefer sketching with the tablet more. I dunno, maybe it's got something to do with my digital strokes being more predictable and I'm sitting in a comfortable position; whenever I use my sketchbook I end up in all these crooked poses balancing the thing on my knee, not to mention smudging etc. Maybe I'm just a control freak and I hate all these happy little accidents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I'm actually the opposite. I prefer sketching with the tablet more. I dunno, maybe it's got something to do with my digital strokes being more predictable and I'm sitting in a comfortable position; whenever I use my sketchbook I end up in all these crooked poses balancing the thing on my knee, not to mention smudging etc. Maybe I'm just a control freak and I hate all these happy little accidents.
    I'm with you. I basically grew up on computers, and tablet-stylus has always felt more comfortable to me then pencil-paper. It just always made more sense to me. With paper you have some limitations, and no Undo. So I go digital for speed and efficiency, I just learn waaaaaaay faster this way.

I promise one day, though, I will pick up a traditional media and go nuts. Been thinking about sculpting a lot lately.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cristinamartine View Post
    Well I always use pencil for my drawing because I am comfortable and also its very easy for my drawing. I also use tablet but its uncomfortable for my drawing. Now choice is your's if you comfort with tablet then you can use it.
    Exactly it's the matter of choice and comforts.I also use pencil in my drawing because i feel comfortable with it rather than tablet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I prefer the feel of a pencil, but you cannot beat the benefits of being able to sketch whilst at the computer.

If you're really struggling, make sure you go into your tablet properties, and set the mappping to force proportions. At my uni everyone sits there drawing on a regular tablet with widescreen iMacs, no proportions forced, wondering why when they draw a circle, it's squashed.

Sketchbook | Art Blog | Portfolio

True progress means matching the world to the vision in our heads.
    But we always change the vision instead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love my Tacro 4435s and Sanfords, but I'm falling more and more in love with using my large Intuos4.

This is in spite of the abysmally shortlived nibs, which I have taken the liberty of unofficially dubbing as "nubs".

I dunno - I just get this awesome detached, yet even more there feel with it. It's like a easel, without the injured shoulder fretting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pencil all the way.. ive used a tablet, and its nice cuz it gives some more options, but it takes away so much... i just prefer the pencil... or whatever else

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hard to beat a pencil and cheap pad of paper, for five bucks I'm set. Try getting your computer, software and tablet for under a grand.
    I think people who think it is easier faster didn't actually have to buy their equipment.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Question

If you really prefer pencils that much , why not just sketch in pencil and buy a 40 quid scanner?

Sketch in the comfy medium, then take it digital to colour, best of both worlds, everyone's happy?

Members who have read this thread: 6