Level/curves changes don't stay after OK
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

lhazar is offline If you read this, you're not drawing. Go! Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level/curves changes don't stay after OK

Something is preventing levels/curves in CS4 from working. Perhaps someone has encountered this problem before?

The Problem: After adjusting either Levels or Curves to the desired point, I click ok, and the image resets itself to its previous state.

Some supporting images:

When my daughter was about seven years old, she asked me one day what I did at work. I told her I worked at the college - that my job was to teach people how to draw.
    She stared back at me, incredulous, and said, "You mean they forget?"

Howard Ikemoto

My Website

My CA Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but one thing I did notice was the asterisk (*) at the top of your document's window: (Layer 0, RGB/8)*

This means that the image is using a colour profile different from your working profile.

Does it only happen with this image? Does it happen with all PNGs? Does it happen with all RGB images? Have you tried converting to greyscale first?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One other thing I noticed is how weird your levels histogram looks in your first screenshot. Where's all the grey information? I grabbed a screenshot of your file amd hit CTRL+L myself. Looks a good bit different.

lhazar is offline If you read this, you're not drawing. Go! Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After a bunch of testing, it seems to be related to the way they were scanned. Not all PNG's react the same way, nor do greyscale or color management help.

They were scanned in a printshop, and the images were saved as pdf's. I later extracted the images and pasted on png.

All images originating from that scan behave the same way, whereas my other images work as intented.

But you gave me a good idea. I'll try taking a screenshot and saving as a new file. It should work...

Thanks for your help. ;D

When my daughter was about seven years old, she asked me one day what I did at work. I told her I worked at the college - that my job was to teach people how to draw.
    She stared back at me, incredulous, and said, "You mean they forget?"

Howard Ikemoto

My Website

My CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lhazar View Post
    After a bunch of testing, it seems to be related to the way they were scanned. Not all PNG's react the same way, nor do greyscale or color management help.

They were scanned in a printshop, and the images were saved as pdf's. I later extracted the images and pasted on png.

All images originating from that scan behave the same way, whereas my other images work as intented.

But you gave me a good idea. I'll try taking a screenshot and saving as a new file. It should work...

Thanks for your help. ;D
    Aha... that must be it. If your scanner scanned them as bitmaps (containing only pure black and pure white), and then opened this file in RGB mode, then Levels won't work as it should.

I can now reproduce exactly your problem. It must be do do with the way Photoshop shows you previews of stuff like levels when zoomed out. If you'd posted a screen shot while at 100% I'm guessing it would look a little like this:

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.