Thanks

Talking New Sketch Card Artist Seeking Advice

Hello I have recently learned about sketch cards only a couple of months ago and I'm new to the concept but I simply love creating PSCs!
    Anyway, I've just recently been offered a job to do a set of 15 sketch cards at the rate of $3 per card and wanted your advice on the matter. I usually take time pencilling, inking and painting my work to make it the best it could be and have also taken commissions for no less than $18 per card. I feel $3 is very underpaid but I'm interested in the job as it's a very rare thing for me, so I don't really know how I should respond to the employer regarding this issue. I have a background in art education and this is my first serious commercial art offer.

If anyone has any industry advice they're willing to share with this newbie, I'd be so grateful! Thanks! ^^;

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Why work for less than minimum per hour on a card? If you feel it's underpaid, say so.

Thanks
    Oh I did email them about it. Apparantly $3 is the regular rate per sketch card for official sets ($1 for some other companies O_o; ), I was quite shocked but have decided to accept it mainly for the experience. Let's see how it goes

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sakuna View Post
    Oh I did email them about it. Apparantly $3 is the regular rate per sketch card for official sets ($1 for some other companies O_o; ), I was quite shocked but have decided to accept it mainly for the experience. Let's see how it goes
    He's talking bullshit. 15 year olds in supermarkets earn way more then that.
    (23:41:52) (ArneLurk) I woner of there are people who have hairy penises

Thanks
    Yea.... I don't know the normal rate... but $3 for a card (that a lot of people spend multiple hours on each!) is... very very very low pay.

Is it for Topps? I have a friend that does sketch cards for them and he seems to make nice extra money (but apparently most of the money is made from the extras they give you to sell or something).

Thanks
    Just wanna ask, what are sketch cards?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sakuna View Post
    Is it, did you do your research or just take what they said for fact?

I mean wow, 3 bucks. What was I thinking for "just the experience" when I can flip burgers for more AND have some money for art supplies.

Thanks
    Yeah I emailed a couple of professional sketch card artists who have had industry experience and they say that the rate is about right. They also told me that it really depends on the artist on how much detail they're willing to put on each sketch card (it could even be a simple sketch). So I'm looking at the job from a different point of view... I can get some experience and I can get some publicity on my art. I'll also get some artist blanks so I can draw on them and charge a reasonable amount so it's not so bad

Thanks