Cyberpunk Love
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Cyberpunk Love

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cyberpunk Love

I did this as a test of Photoshop CS5 and its new blending tools and wanted to work on my painting skills at the same time.

I'm was aware of a few proportion issues before I started such as the size of her hand and a few other small things but I thought this was a example to start painting.

Seeing as such, my color theory sucks and I'd love to get more comments on my painting method and technique. I could really use some feedback.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,880 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The skin tone is too similar over her whole body, also she is too shiny making her look like a plastic doll. There are some general rules to follow when painting flesh but first I would recommend looking at academic paintings to see what skin tones really look like and then adapt it to the style you are working in. Generally speaking the hue of the skin is affected when you have bones closer to the surface. These spots usually tend towards redder color. Where there are more fat deposits you get a more yellow color or white color. These areas are the belly, butt and upper thighs, even with tan skin this is observable. Not sure how realistic you want to make her look

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your reply. While I'm not really going for ultra realism in this particular piece, I'd like to work on some more realistic paintings soon so your comments are definitely helpful. Maybe I'll work on a portrait this weekend.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Work in real media like watercolor for a while, perhaps. Makes practicing easier.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    Work in real media like watercolor for a while, perhaps. Makes practicing easier.
    I've done some acrylic and oil painting but I've never done watercolor before. I'm not sure when I'll get to it but I'll consider it. Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice colour combination and very positive style

http://www.female-anatomy-for-artist.com/?ref=c13

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

This piece looks fine, just some of the shapes of the shadow puts me off, particulary around the thighs and legs. Infact with that sort of style I wouldn't even include them, or they could be very light. Yep like you said you're not trying for a realistic style, so a single colour tone over the body is fine like most anime, you've already added blemishes, which I would tone down along with the yellow.

Other than that it looks good, keep it up.

Best

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lobster007 View Post
    Nice colour combination and very positive style

http://www.female-anatomy-for-artist.com/?ref=c13
    I appreciate that. I'm always wanting to brush up on my anatomy. I'll check out that link.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fongsaiyuk View Post
    Hi,

This piece looks fine, just some of the shapes of the shadow puts me off, particulary around the thighs and legs. Infact with that sort of style I wouldn't even include them, or they could be very light. Yep like you said you're not trying for a realistic style, so a single colour tone over the body is fine like most anime, you've already added blemishes, which I would tone down along with the yellow.

Other than that it looks good, keep it up.

Best
    Thank you. I'll definitely take your comments into consideration. For this piece, I think I kept it about right with the coloring. Too much variation and it would start moving more into the realm of realism. I would like to paint some realistic scenes though. I've always cautiously avoided it but I think its exactly what I need to do. I really enjoy your art btw, especially the scenes with intense lighting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm off-put by the linework, particularly that of her left breast.

The colors are nice. The hair obviously doesn't look realistic, but I'm sure you didn't intend for it to be so. It does look...unnatural though, just in the way it falls.

I second everything everybody said about the skin tone. She does look very much like a doll!

Your color scheme works nicely, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pretentieuse View Post
    I'm off-put by the linework, particularly that of her left breast.

The colors are nice. The hair obviously doesn't look realistic, but I'm sure you didn't intend for it to be so. It does look...unnatural though, just in the way it falls.

I second everything everybody said about the skin tone. She does look very much like a doll!

Your color scheme works nicely, though.

Thanks for the comments, you definitely reinforced some opinions on here. There were a few things that bugged me about the lineart as well even before I started to color but I figured it was still a good place to start to test out the new features of CS5. Looks like I'm going to have to tone down the highlights on the skin. I tend to like shiny skin but it does make her look more stiff. I definitely need to do some more anatomy studies and specifically concentrate on hair.

Thanks again for the critique. I'm glad people like my colors. I'm usually terrible at color theory.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.