Thanks

Need info on Painter Users

:confused:

The only tool I use so far in that program is the brush tool, I was wondering what else do you people use in the program when you paint your artwork. I just need to learn some extra techniques in it.

Another thing is you painters do hair for a character on another layer or no?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I always use the following tools/brushes:

Oil Pastels / Oil Pastel
    Tinting / Basic Round
    Photo / Burn / Dodge (lazy tools! better learn highlighting...)
    Various Blenders

it's painter 8 btw.

If I'm not sure about certain components in a painting (e.g. hair) I do it on a new layer... just in case I would want to change it later.

cu

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Mostly Smeary bristle spray and oil pastel variations for me, though I don't use any brush with it's given default settings. My brush library is available on my website.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts
    what do you mean you only know the 'brush tool', that's like 80% of painter. Experiment with everything. Find out if you like the feel of oils or maybe something alittle 'drier' like, pastels or charcoals. Find out which brushes that turn out well for large spaces and which turn out better for small details. Which brushes blend easy, etc etc...

after awhile of learning the brushes you might want to experiment with the papers menu. The amount of paper texture shown is by the amount of grain the brush picks up. The less grain the more paper will show up. if you go too far the texture disappears. So roughly around 7-10 is decent if your trying to just add some texture.

Place with opacity! 5%-10% is really really soft and blendable, but 30%+ can be thick and a completely different brush.

there's alot to play with.

Thanks

Re: Need info on Painter Users

Originally posted by PerfectKayCustom
    :confused:

The only tool I use so far in that program is the brush tool, I was wondering what else do you people use in the program when you paint your artwork. I just need to learn some extra techniques in it.

Another thing is you painters do hair for a character on another layer or no?
    Anyone who paints or draws using Painter has to use the Brush tool. There is only one Brush tool.

All Painter tools, including the Brush tool, are found in the Tools palette.

After the Brush tool is active, the user can choose any brush category and any brush variant within that brush category.

Again, there's no other "tool" we can use to paint or do pixel based drawing than the Brush tool.

The Pen, Quick Curve, Rectangular Shape, and Oval Shape tools are used to "draw" vector based Shapes. Painter Shapes are edited using the Shape editing tools: Shape Selection, Scissors, Add Point, Remove Point, and Convert Point.

As a long time Painter user, since Painter 4, and a Painter instructor, I use just about everything the program offers, all brush categories and all of their brush variants, all options in the main menus, Scripts, Layers, Water Color Layers, Liquid Ink Layers, Dynamic Plugin Layers, I create and use Nozzles, create my own custom brush variants and art materials, and use whatever else I've forgotten to mention that's available in Painter.

I've approached Painter this way from the beginning, exploring, discovering, and using everything I can find... since long before I began teaching Painter.

I recommend that any user do the same, even if all they want to do is paint. Layer capabilities and other menu options will help the user to arrive at their desired end result and it's more fun to boot. Custom Papers and custom Patterns, for instance, are a great help, as are custom brush variants.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Thanks Guys