Looking forward>>

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Looking forward>>

Hello everyone, my name is Matthew. I just finished my first semester of life-drawing at my local community college. I'm looking forward to transferring to Laguna College of Art and Design (LCAD) in the near future!

Here are a few studies I did at the end of my semester. Hope you guys enjoy and please be brutally honest in your critiques; I dont need any sugar coating !

Attached Images Attached Images    
    "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
    Matthew 7:3-5

Sketchbook

Email>>MRRhoades@rocketmail.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad. It looks like you have a nice grasp of shading and value.

You definitely need to work on your hands and probably feet, too. I would suggest doing targeted studies of those. Just from looking at those examples, I may suggest practicing facial structures from all angles, to make sure you're confident with that as well.

Good luck with school!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wooblood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wooblood is right

Wooblood stated some problems, your hands and feet look a bit pasted on, flat. And the womans leg is too small, in terms of length and thickness, specifically the second part (calf). Overall these are really nice, especially the first one, really good shading. Good job and good luck with school!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Seamus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

*Wooblood-I absolutely agree with you about the hands and feet! They are by far the two subjects I need to do the most studying on! Thank you for your time and critique, it is much appreciated.

*Seamus-Thank you for the kind words! I definitely see what your saying about the calf, whats funny is that I initially had it drawn larger but my life drawing instructor told me to make it smaller. But oh well. On another note, I will keep working on those hands and feet! Thanks for the feed back.

A few other pieces to pick apart I do apologize for the bad camera quality. Im having to use my camera phone at this time, gotta work with what I have at hand

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had some time to work on those hands, keep in mind these are "sketches" haha. Again, sorry for the bad camera quality!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Great stuff

Ah, now those look like hands! Really nice job on the hand study, apply that same detail to your future work and your hands will look great.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Seamus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice concepts - I am only not sure with the anatomy of the Jesus down part of the feet...

http://www.human-anatomy-for-artist.com/?ref=c02

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow

*Seamus-Thanks for the props on the hand studies! I will keep doing studies and definitely apply them to my future pieces! Thanks again

*Lobster007-Thank you! And yeah I do agree that the feet look a little odd, especially his right foot. I guess I should state that the crucifixion is a study I did from "Crucifixion" by Michelangelo. I Just realized I didn't give any recognition lol.

Some feet studies are on the way!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking forward>>

Looking forward>>

Looking forward>>

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,395 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Shading is OK technically, but shows lack of understanding of how the light works. You're still not looking for the right things there; there's a lot of incidental detail and a lot of missed chances to describe the form.

All these drawings show very poor structure; I think you rush into shading before making sure that your proportions, volumes and perspective work. Some of them also show very bad anatomy. That Christ figure is an atrocity in both anatomy and structure.

What you must focus on are anatomy and structure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there arenhaus, the crucifixion could definitely use some work, definitely his feet/hands and his arms....but an atrocity? lol, you have your opinion. I will definitely keep working on my structure/anatomy! Thanks for the Crit.

Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 1