Thanks

Unhappy Anime noob here, need complete style and technique makeover.

I come from the place of barren distaste where the weaboo fangirls run wild and tracing is allow, DA.
    My page can be found here.
    http://pumplcinpie.deviantart.com/
    I'm thinking of posting it up in the critic zone.

I'm sick and tired of being this no talent anime noob who sits there drawing the same stiff poses with the same shitty proportions and the same expressionless zombie faces. It looks rough and unskilled,messy and childish, it's a joke.
    But I want to change. I want to draw and create great things, express myself, learn everything I can. But the state I'm in now isn't going to work. So I came here to learn, and to not just get better, to become great. I have all the time in the world, but I just use it by sleeping and sitting on the computer all day.
    I don't want to do that anymore, I want to really focus on my talent, what little I have of it anyways.

Will any one guide me? I would be honoured.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Go to the Lounge and look at the Guide to Concept Art. It also has a forum for new people to speak up and look around and introduce themselves.

Better yet, lemme move the thread there...

Thanks
    Ok thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumplcin View Post
    I'm thinking of posting it up in the critic zone.
    Do that. Post a piece or two in Critiques/WIPs, or a whole bunch in a Sketchbook thread, or both. The best way to introduce yourself is with work, the second best is by actively participating in the community. Honestly, nobody cares about "I'm new, this is my life story, and oh yea, DA sucks" threads.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 870 Posts
    My advice? Put away everything you've done to date. Put the files on a DVD, put the originals in the basement or closet or whatever. Just get them out of your sight. Forget you know how to draw, reset the counter to zero as much as possible.

Then if you can afford a book, go get Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards, and follow her exercises. They're geared towards drawing what you see, rather than what you assume to be there. That's a very important skill, and you want to start learning it as early as you can. I'd recommend The Vilppu Drawing Manual by Glenn Vilppu as well, although you might not have much budget for books.

Generally speaking, you want to learn how to do gesture drawing, and you want to learn how to draw basic shapes. Gesture drawing is the art of getting the basic position and action of a figure down on paper in a very short amount of time, like 30 or 60 seconds. The second photo here is a good example. I'm not exaggerating when I say this simple (but difficult) thing can easily be one of your most important tools as an artist. A good place to practice is Posemaniacs, which has a useful 30-second pose viewer.

As to basic forms, we're talking stuff like spheres and cubes. NOT circles and squares. Here's a good example of what I'm talking about. Fill up whole sketchbooks (just get cheapie newsprint books for this) with spheres (including ellipses around them to show the volume), cubes (you can make them transparent) and cylinders. These are the building blocks for a lot of what you're trying to learn, and are very useful in training your mind to see that flat piece of paper as if it's three dimensional. Because in the end, you want people to see depth in what you draw.

That should be more than enough to get you started. The rest depends on you.
    The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    If I were you I'd make a new DA, because all your trolling made it impossible to critique your pieces without one of your "fans" getting angry at the help.

Your work aint bad, and if you really want to get better, you obviously have to work hard. All your free time can be spent doing studies, and taking what you learned from those studies and put into your characters.

Pick up some books, Loomis is great for Structure and Proportion, but I always move to Peck for individual anatomy right down to the bone structure. A lot of people also work with George Bridgman.

You said you have a lot of free time, so spend it drawing. It all depends on how far you're willing to go to get better at art. Obviously motivation is a key to drawing, but that won't be a problem on this forum.

Like Nezumi said, the tools can be given, but actually putting them to use, and getting better is completely up to you, no one else.

Thanks
    Good for you.

First things first. Get away from drawing anime, if you enjoy it you can always go back to it but right now it will just cause problems for you and make it more difficult to learn what you need to. I don’t know about getting away from Deviantart, it isn’t terribly bad sometimes but if you have “fans”, there is the possibility they will just get in the way. I’ve seen it, they either end up selfish and spiteful because the artist dared do something different or they get overly defensive on your behalf because someone dared tell you the truth about your artwork. If there isn't too many of them you can just tell them to shut up and continue on.

Draw from life, draw from reference, and learn proper anatomy, perspective colour theory etc...

Linky time.
    http://community.livejournal.com/art...ade/72998.html This one has some good stuff, it is not in English however but if you click around the pictures might be enough to go by.
    http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm This one is awesomeness.
    http://www.huevaluechroma.com/index.php Colour theory and more colour theory.
    For anatomy I would recommend Bridgeman and Loomis, if you do a search you’ll be able to find their book online or free to download. There is a thread on this website somewhere with a list of loads of free e books that includes theirs.
    For perspective find a book called ‘Perspective for Comic book artists’ by David Chelsea. It’s really good, it starts right from the basics and goes into the more complicated stuff.
    For references, at least for humans I have http://characterdesigns.com/index.ph...page=photosets unfortunately it is mostly females but what they have is good.

Draw everyday for as long as you can, and take advantage of this website.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurplePlatypus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 870 Posts
    Adding a bit about references, since you're on dA you should check out their stock gallery. There are a lot of high-quality photos, both clothed and nude. Animals, objects and locations too, it's probably the best part of the site.

I checked out your dA since posting my advice earlier, and I'd suggest deleting the whole damn thing immediately. And stop being such a jerk. That crap might work for John K or someone, but you aren't them.
    The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Or you can just ignore your DA and post up a blog sketchbook, here. This is your fresh start so my advice is not to take the baggage with you.

I really don't care about your DA or mostly anyone's DA anymore, but if you want honest advice and critiques and progress you're welcome here. If you want to bring your baggage, I'm ready to put it in the garbage .

Thanks
    Heh, I took a look at your dA and it looks like you've accumulated quite a lot of haters.

Thanks
    Looks like you're a bit of a jerk over at DA, but if you're willing to take art seriously, then you're more than welcome to start a sketchbook here. Others already told you what you need to do in order to get better, so I won't go over that. Definitely take their advice and get rid of your DA account, you've done enough damage there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jie Kageshinzo View Post
    Heh, I took a look at your dA and it looks like you've accumulated quite a lot of haters.
    This sounds interesting.

Thanks
    So apparently:

Anime noob here, need complete style and technique makeover.

This is pretty funny.

Thanks
    And looking more into this, good lord, you're one cool DA aimed troll.

My lungs, man. I gotta breathe.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Wow, you are quite the douchebag, aren't you? Even ED can't be bothered with you.
    If you're serious, nuke your DA account, nuke this CA account, and we'll start over and pretend none of this ever happened.
    Or, you can start applying your oh so advanced critique skills here and we'll see how things... develop.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Don't give us about-to-be-19-year-olds a bad name.

And anyway, get this through your head: you must be humble in order to start anything. You must understand that right now, if you abandon what you know and start from the beginning, you aree in an amazing position of simultaneously fucking sucking amd being completely untainted; the best you could ever be. You want to be a better artist? Welcome. Everyone here does. You can distinguish yourself by living art graciously. Really assess what you want to do with your art and your life. Start devouring art history. Pick your favorites. Pick your least favorites. Don't be ashamed of your opinions, if you feel you've made them justly. Don't be ashamed of your past. It's okay to distance yourself from anime, but don't be a snob. Read about psychology, composition, color theory, the human body, perception, perspective, et cetera.

We are all capable of becoming great artists. It takes diligence more than anything else. Just remember to be humble, be honest, and that you can never allow yourself to settle for what you are.

Thanks
    Pumplcin, I am not going to label you anything or say anything about your DA account.

I will say however, you can become a good artist if you just put the time and effort into it. I suggest (like many others here) start fresh and begin a Sketchbook. Also, do observational drawings, that i always a good start. If you don't have the funds for books and stuff (like a sketchbook) Just grab a few sheets of printer paper is enough, a clipboard (or something for backing), and a pencil.

...and above all else...HAVE FUN. Cause if your not having fun then your doing it wrong.

Understand that there will be days that you struggle and even sometimes think 'This looks like shit! I can't draw!'...it's all part of learning art in general, take those mistakes and learn from them and try your best to think positive along the way.

To quote Glenn Vilppu: "There are no rules...only tools."

Drawing in its most simplest form...is like being a kid...no restraints and having fun but, with that there are things you will have to learn along the way.
    Last edited by Monkabit; May 28th, 2010 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks
    I'm not gonna label either. We've had more than enough posts in the past of people posing as other artists someone hates, to drama-monger here.

So until the person starts posting sketchbook work and otherwise. I'm gonna sit on the fence. I'm not here for more troll bait and flame bait.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Defending our supposed precious dignity is what slows us down to a crawl and defending it usually does the opposite when we do, making us ridiculous and good laughing stock.

Meditate to find your inner silence. Now I'm not entirely sure what went on there on you DA, perhaps you did not blast anyone's work intentionally, perhaps it was sincere help but flamers will spot pre mature greatness a mile away and often even run away with something that just wasn't the case(Some times, depending on how much fun they are having). Being honest with yourself etc.. Being exposed in a world wide social playground is learning in and of itself, and sooner or later, if you are willing to get along you need to learn it's stuffs. I sure still am.

Introvert's like me saw the net as a new place to go sell my crap, but it's the same as any other social environment and you need to face the same challenges you might not have learnt to deal with before.

Remember that we are monkey's confusing our ancient rags for our self worth, and stuff will be OK, and that there's more than one group of people selling crap, some are successful and unobvious, some are obvious. Ignorance is bliss and change is constant.

I didn't get the fuck yeah thread at first. "Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but our self can free our minds...", "... I say sorry because I know I'm wrong, put on my shoe's and put on my thong..."
    Last edited by George Abraham; May 28th, 2010 at 04:10 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Pumplcin, you're insensitive, judgmental, self-aggrandizing, bitter, self-loathing, hateful, spiteful, contemptuous, mean-spirited, invested with a misplaced sense of worth, and downright mean. Your parents probably bought you everything you wanted, but you hated them anyway. What's more, you've clearly wrecked the only meaningful friendships in your life while at the same time polished your skills at making enemies. And if I were a betting man, I'd say you like to binge-drink as a temporary escape from your ongoing plight, which only makes things worse, because you're undoubtedly a mean drunk who lashes out at others while in a booze-addled haze.

So it goes without saying, that, short of cutting off an ear and mailing it to an ex-lover, you have the perfect attitude to become an accomplished artist. Start a sketchbook immediately.

Godspeed, sweet cheeks.
    On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time.
    - George Orwell

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    - Richard Dawkins

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I'm not gonna label either. We've had more than enough posts in the past of people posing as other artists someone hates, to drama-monger here.

So until the person starts posting sketchbook work and otherwise. I'm gonna sit on the fence. I'm not here for more troll bait and flame bait.
    Seeing as his dA and CA account have almost the same registration dates, I'm pretty sure it's the same person.

Thanks
    You guise are fucking awesome.
    I've never seen people act so maturely towards something like that before.
    Honestly, my DA account was 90% for trolling purposes and 10% a place to post some stuff. But I don't want to do that here. I respect you guise a lot, and I can feel like I'll learn a fuck ton more here then I ever could on DA. I'm still very inexperienced and have little to no experience or education of art what so ever. And I can't go to some fancy art college/university so I'm trying to learn what I can where I can get it. I have the drive to achieve awesome things, but I still need the skills to do it. Like you guise were saying, I'm going to be humble and open to learning all that I can. Though I can be very prideful, stubborn and impatient. It'll be tough, but I'll try.

@Auslander I lol'd my ass off, I was ready for some flaming and was quite surprised and amused. You got me good.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Pumplcin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dude Pumplcin you suck so much. You are the generic anime artist that most people do not like. You are one of those people that think you are better then them, but in true your not. Your just a person that has no idea what they are doing, Once you take the red pill you can never go back

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    Um... Lock?

Thanks
    Oh lord! This is like "Cheer me up"'s little cousin thread.

But yeah. Reinvent yourself, we dont need a life story or excuses, start taking your work seriously instead of living in a bubble of trollish fantasy.
    Everyone here was new at one point.

Thanks
    @Auslander I lol'd my ass off, I was ready for some flaming and was quite surprised and amused. You got me good.
    A sense of humor can carry you a long way in life.

You're restless, and it looks like you can take a hit...I think you'll do well in the long run.
    On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time.
    - George Orwell

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    - Richard Dawkins

Thanks
    my DA account was 90% for trolling purposes and 10% a place to post some stuff.
    :/ What?! Why? If you're really interested go get a sketchbook, and spend some free-time practicing. If you enjoy it and feel you have something worth aiming for continue.
    My sketchbook, if you really want to see it...

"Picasso is a painter, so am I;... Picasso is Spanish, so am I; Picasso is a communist, neither am I." - Salvador Dali

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    Gotta thank you...never really knew what trolling was before this thread.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Wow, you are quite the douchebag, aren't you? Even ED can't be bothered with you.
    If you're serious, nuke your DA account, nuke this CA account, and we'll start over and pretend none of this ever happened.
    Or, you can start applying your oh so advanced critique skills here and we'll see how things... develop.
    As I said I'd hold back but if you want to continue here, I'd follow Elwell's advice. Having a public account to troll while you're trying to improve your art is a conflict. It's not hard to connect dots if someone was going to look you up.

Now go draw and post a sketchbook or album and learn. Don't bother making threads like this again.