Thanks

Newbie seeking advice

Hey everyone, I'm very new here and I just wanted to ask for peoples opinions about the site and some other stuff. Thanks in advance for everyone who reads this and anyone who replies.

I am currently studying computer games design, but we hardly ever do any art which is what I am really passionate about, and I was wondering whether you think it would be a good idea for me to come here and start a sketch book. I've seen a few sketch books and they seem really good, the only problem with my situation is that I have to fit all my other studies in and I don't know whether I will have time to come here as regular as I would like. Would it be O.K. to just visit this site not that often or should I just stay away and study by myself?

Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks again to anybody who reads ^_^

Robb

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Welcome to CA.org, Robb

Of course you're free to create your own Sketchbook thread here. Their purpose is mostly for yourself to keep track of your own progress and to get feedback from others, but you're under no obligation to update them every day/week/etc. You're free to study at your own pace

Thanks
    Make a sketchbook.

Just be careful, because this site is like smack to an over-indulged jerk with daddy issues.

Thanks
    Hey Armonah and pretentieuse, thank you both for your help, I will do a sketchbook thread, I just need to decide what to draw hehe it's scary really, I haven't done anything like this before.

Thanks
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Here is a good thread on the introduction forum on where to begin (and continue) with learning to draw.

And even though it will be mentioned in there a couple of times, I don't think it'll do you any harm to point you to it rightaway (because that thread is huge): Here you can download some art books from Andrew Loomis, containing advice and exercises to help you learning to draw. I suggest you start off with "Fun with a pencil" because it focuses on the foundation, and isn't all too advanced yet.

Thanks
    Just start pouring stuff out onto the page...and enjoy it! and of course STUDY!!

Otherwise, I will dump you in a barren desert; Captain Jack Sparrow-style (no lonely one bullet pistol though) and create Behemoth style monsters that will want to harm you until you defeat them by putting Graphite to 'Lignin' (the substance that makes paper from trees).

So...if you wish to avoid said fate...Have fun and draw! There's an arsenal of information here, just look around. I agree with Armonah. Check out Andrew Loomis and Glenn Vilppu.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Remember, about every artist on this site no matter how good you see right now started at a pretty embarrassing level. So don't be afraid to make mistakes and keep at it, because we all have ourselves. Sometimes patrons get a "seniority" complex and forget, don't let that drive you away.

Here's a good example of what keeping at it can do: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870

Thanks
    Wow, thanks for all the help everyone, as Armonah said I will start with the "fun with a pencil" book, It's around 8PM here (UK) so I will have a look now and do some drawing tonight.

Also I'm loving the POTC references Nakhon, and I promise I will try my hardest to avoid that fate ^_^ Plus I always have fun drawing.

And Arshes Nei, I will do as you say and not be afraid of mistakes hehe I looked through that sketchbook thread, and I can see what you mean, I just hope I can put enough time into drawing to get that good.

Again thanks everyone