I want to draw too.. :(
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I want to draw too.. :(

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I want to draw too.. :(

How to get started. I don't have a proper table to have a studio. Don't get the time to start,cos by the end of the day(actually night cos I reach home late), I'll be exhausted from office work. Don't have a favorable enviroment at home(Bed not a good place for sketching,I'll just sleep off). I don't have the strength to go and pick up a paper and a pencil. If I do, I'm blank. And I'll leave it at that. Weekends I'll sleep it off. Tv and internet dragging my waking hours. I play a lot of games. Hours. Want to start a skectchbook here but don't even have a scanner. I don't know where to go or how to tell my problems also. Hope someone gets what I'm trying to say and suggest a really good thing for me. I'm already 21. Life is ticking away.

Btw, I have a little bit of fine art background. And so, I know I'm at level zero again. And I know I have to start from line drawings and circles.(Do I have to?)
    Help?

the pencil can be the heaviest thing on this earth...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    STFU and stop whining.

Last edited by karmazon; May 26th, 2010 at 03:06 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to karmazon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by karmazon View Post
    STFU and stop whining.

Thanks. I will

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, fix your attitude. Sure, some things are inevitable, like work, so you'll just have to live with it. But saying that you don't have the strength to draw is an excuse to not draw. Don't watch so much TV, use the internet less, and try cutting out games alltogether. And 21 is still young, there are people who start drawing at a much older age.

Sorry if that sounded harsh, but your post is giving off negative vibes.

Get a sketchbook, carry it around everywhere, and just draw everything what you see. Try drawing during breaks ar work. If you have a camera, you could easily take pictures of your drawings to post here until you get a scanner. Then just post your drawings here and others will suggest what you should study (but it's always good to practice the very basics once in a while, nothing wrong with drawing many lines and circles).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to theoutside For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gee...thanks Beth... I wasn't expecting that... Expecting more to take the brickbats. Sorry for the negative vibe. Umm...girls are really more understanding than guys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thejasolo View Post
    Don't get the time to start,cos by the end of the day(actually night cos I reach home late), I'll be exhausted from office work. Don't have a favorable enviroment at home(Bed not a good place for sketching,I'll just sleep off). I don't have the strength to go and pick up a paper and a pencil.
    Thinking like this is your first problem. I do understand that work takes a lot out of a person...but even a single hour or even 15-20 minutes of drawing time can help.

Also, I'm 22 and almost if the same boat as you...and I have to deal with motivation problems; trying to keep it up everyday is a struggle *sometimes makes me wish I had a demon possessing me to draw right now but I don't*. So I don't want to HEAR IT!

Yes...gotta start from Square #1! Start a sketchbook here or better yet just grab a pencil and printer paper and draw! If you got life drawing classes that can be attended...Attend Them! Also, Observational drawing is always the number one way to start, if you don't have books or can't attend life drawing sessions.

Sketchbook...Please tear it to shreds, Thank You!

~Youíve got to get the fundamentals down because otherwise the fancy stuff isnít going to work.~Randy Pausch

karmiclychee Tulokyn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...And an understanding male....thanks for the advice bro....saw your sketch book....And I know what you mean....yea, we are in the same boat...your going at a faster pace Will catcha you up...thanks for tugging me..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe find a way you can multi-task or use the things you like to do as a reward.

For example, why can't you draw while you watch TV? Even if it's not serious study, practice is practice.

Or why not use TV/gaming as a reward for time spent drawing? Set a timer for half an hour or something of drawing, and then when it's finished take a 15-minute break to browse the web or have fun.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Walk. away. now.

There are too many mental factors to learning...ANYTHING, that will always ask for sacrifice.

If you don't have the will. Don't bother! If you don't have the drive. Don't bother! If you don't want it, if it's not apart of you that screams to be expressed, don't bother!

Decide, and do not go into this half-hearted.

You'll open yourself for YEARS, and do mean years, of frustration JUST to get to the level of adequate.

Unless you're a natural then it will take less time to become adequate, & more time to become consistant. But If you do not have these factors, don't bother.

Unless you're casual at it, fine. If you're serious, be prepared to sacrifice!

Welcome.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you keep playing games, even if you don't really won't to, it might be attachment.
    read this site and the topic about attachments on the right.
    It worked for me. I was playing all the spare time and after reading it, never played again. Bye clanmates, i got something more important in life to do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did you play dota on garena too?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you want time to do something, you make time. It's really that simple. Yeah, you have to sacrifice some things, but once you ask yourself what you want out of life, the decision to cut them out or not becomes pretty simple.

As to the mechanics of getting started though, pick up a copy of The Vilppu Drawing Manual by Glenn Vilppu, or Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards (or better yet, both), and start going through the exercises they give. Both are designed to get you started right from square one, where you don't know the first thing about drawing, and build your confidence and skill as you go. Vilppu is especially good, since his starting exercises are great for doing on your lunch break, a spare moment while waiting in line, while you're on the phone, or whatever.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't think problem, think solution.
    What can you do to improve your situation. I can point some things out but I think you should discover them yourself. Or just find out that drawing isn't very important to you at the moment.

And also think in small steps, not big steps. Someone once told me you cannot eat an entire elephant at once.....

I didn't update my sb for a long time but that doesn't mean I don't draw anymore.
    Even during busy weeks I manage to squeeze some hours into drawing.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to the_jos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're making excuses for yourself, and you know it. You don't need a "proper" table or studio, when I was younger I drew on the kitchen table, on the floor, in the tub, any old place. Even though I now have a drawing table, I don't use it much, I still draw any old place. All you need is a pad and pencil. If your environment is getting you down, maybe go outside and draw on a park bench, on the grass, on the stoop, in a coffee shop, wherever. Or change your environment - clear a little space and reserve it for drawing, maybe.

If you're really serious about this and you're having trouble breaking your time-wasting habits, cut out the major time-wasters completely. Unplug the TV and turn it to the wall. Hide your gaming gear if you have any (if it's on your PC, uninstall it.) Maybe even disconnect the internet if you have to.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see the point in this topic if it's just gonna be an exercise in trolling, sheesh. OP it's pretty obvious how to start drawing. Just get to it.

Your responses are just drawing out more attention whoring than actually addressing the problem. The problem is you won't draw, not that you want to.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.