Sketchbook: SB for Improvement - Graduation project!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SB for Improvement - Graduation project!

Hey all,

I'm starting a SB here to be able to keep track of my improvement, and hopefully get some feedback from one of the most helpful communities I've come across. =)

---

Post 71 and up will contain my graduation work!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rengin; November 30th, 2011 at 03:01 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update, lots of charcoal drawings and some pencil drawings, all from observation, most from life. Below the male pencil life drawings some stuff from the first post that I decided to move here in case of avatar image changes.

Last edited by Rengin; August 4th, 2011 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update: some figure studies among other things, I tried to use the direction of pencil strokes in the last drawing to lay more emphasis on shape, but I need to practice more. =) And a more or less finished version of the self portrait I had shown earlier, though it still lacks some definition in surface detail. The last two are self portraits too, although the first of the pair was edited somewhat after scanning it in. I added some more hair at the back of the head and touched up some shading. The last image is actually the exercise I did first, to really get to know the features of my face before I attempted a "freehand" portrait.

Last edited by Rengin; July 2nd, 2010 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! You have some good studies here! I love your charcoal pieces and your paintings seem solid. The only think I would say is, in post 3, the profile view of the boy, has good definition. I think that you could probably define the hair a bit more with a few more strands. It looks like you did this in your other portraits, which are great. Maybe try and push your values more so they don't look so light. That's basically all I have. Keep up the great work and I can't wait to see more from you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! One of my aims this summer is to make at least 2 sketches a day since I don't have a lot of time for it the rest of the year, so I hope to be able to update this SB with a lot of art throughout the next few months.

As for the portrait: I wish I could have put some more detail in there. As you might have noticed he has a first attempt at shading on his forehead, but he moved before I could finish it up. Better luck next time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have my own issues with depth in drawings so I'm by no means an authority or anything but perspective can be a very powerful tool. Renaissance paintings give wonderful examples of this; da Vinci's Last Supper [http://media.photobucket.com/image/l...astSupper.jpg] could ban analysed as a model for using implied lines to focus attention and create depth in the picture plane. The general ideas about perspective, objects appearing larger the closer they are to the viewer and collors being more vibrant, can be applied in the absence of the strict system for linear perspective aswell. In other words, you can rough it. If you were to take one of your portraits which is currently an isolated figure you can change the figure's apparent position by introducing background of foreground elements. You can also turn to the late renaissance for examples of creating atmosphere. With artists such as Caravaggio [http://media.photobucket.com/image/l...astSupper.jpg] you can see how sfumato is used to both model the form and creation interactions between figure and background. It can also be interesting to note the qualities of the light used in a painting, in the case of the Caravaggio above the warmth of the light suggests illumination by candle and the relative dominance of shadow indicates a dim space.
    Hope this helps and best of luck too you

I have nothing interesting to say but here's my sketchbook, perhaps you'll think I've drawn something interesting XD http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=167964

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Strange1900, thanks for your suggestions! I'll try and keep it in mind next time. I'd just like to ask you if you could repost the link to the work of Carvaggio you had in mind since you linked Da Vinci two times. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This time a 10 min Hogarth study, a Bridgman face and a light study. I do need to work on my brushstrokes though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, sorry about that XD. Here's the Caravaggio: http://www.dl.ket.org/webmuseum/wm/p...gio/judith.jpg, you might also want to look at another painting of the same subject by Artemisia. I find it to be a more engaging painting and it still serves your purposes in giving an example of creating atmosphere.

I have nothing interesting to say but here's my sketchbook, perhaps you'll think I've drawn something interesting XD http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=167964

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again! I think I'll do a study of one of both some time, they seem like a good source, and they are both very engaging in terms of light and atmosphere.

--

As for continuation of my SB, here are some sketches I did today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That last sketch you have of the seated man is really great I can really feel that he's in the chair that's quite something.
    You seem to be having trouble with heads an I'd suggest that you try using the box as the simplified form to represent it rather than the oval. I've found that boxes make it easier to conceive of the tilt of the head and everything because it allows you to select definite points for the chin in relation to the forehead; it provides a simple way to get the perspective for the head as you see it rather than the indefinite reference to form provided by the oval. It's especially useful when the head is tilted back because it's a simpler way to understand the underside of the mandible and it's connection to the neck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the compliment =) As for the heads, yes, I've been having a lot of trouble with them. I've been learning to draw bodies better during classes in the past year, but I've never focused on faces that much. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try today or tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    always cool to see more dutch people working hard on this forum! I really dig the figure drawing in your first post, its beautiful! If i may give a suggestion on the head thing, i would recommend studying some loomis "drawing the heads and hands" that really helps! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! That was actually the drawing I was talking about when I told you about the drawing that I was polishing for 3 hours after I thought I finished it. =p I took a peek in the Loomis book, thanks for that suggestion, it seems great. I'll probably be sketching from that for the coming few days since the head thing is really bugging me now xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't have a scanner at my disposal for a few days, so here's a bit of a bigger update. Some 30 second drawings, some 90 second drawings (man am I struggling with single strokes) I tried using a box for the face, but with the 30 seconds I mostly automatically went for a circle again. Oops =\

I decided to focus on faces for a bit, with some studies from Andrew Loomis. There's a foot in between there, I was trying to use less scribbly lines and have more confident strokes. I don't really like the shape of it yet, though the shading fixed the clarity of it a bit. I tried using the strokes of the shadow to indicate form again, as well as the with the shaded face that's in there. However, the strokes are still way too rough. I did a portrait today in which it worked a bit better, but I have no consent of the model to show it. =p

I'll be uploading my drawings of tomorrow, and then I'll be off for a week, so expect a big upload then =)

EDIT: I noticed only now the foot got away during the first attempt to post this, here it is anyway.

Last edited by Rengin; July 10th, 2010 at 05:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's work. That first larger head was the one I started off with. I really had to warm up; didn't have the patience to look at proportions etc. =\ Luckily it picked up later on; the later drawings look rather solid. Last one is a WIP, I saw a photo of some girls shouting when their picture was taken and their expressions were awesome, so I picked this one to start off with. Not quite where I want it yet, but I'll be able to take a fresh look in a week.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 678 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, cool to see so many studies! Bridgman is really good, I've never studied Hogarth though but he seems awesome too!
    One thing to keep in mind when working with Bridgman is that he is not about teaching anatomy. Many of his sketches are stylized and simplified to a certain point and using them as a foundation for anatomy will give you a false foundation.
    His brilliance though, is in the simplification of anatomy and constructing the bodies various parts.
    Definitely keep on doing Bridgman, he's taught me TONS! and no problem in using him as anatomy reference, everything is correct there. Though when you're unsure on something, i.e how to draw body builder abs I suggest you check out photos instead.

Also you when you draw quickly you seem to stress out lines in a small mess. Slow down! try to use as few strokes as possible when doing quick sketches. One sweeping line is enough to define say, the outline of an arm. Don't force it though, just have it in the back of your head. In time your hand will grow confident, in a few months you'll be looking back and saying 'hey, did I really draw like that?' so no worries. You are constantly progressing, even when not aware of it

keep it up!

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love that digital light study of yours! Nice sketchbook and keep up the good effort

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, let's try to pick this up again.

DefiledVisions: Thanks for all the tips! The sketchy lines are still in there as you can see from what I'm posting below but yea... Gotta work on that

Beeboobop:Thanks for the kind comments. =)

Below some more sketches, trying to draw more men since my repertoire consists mostly of women! And below that is a sketch based on a dream I had, though I can't seem to convey the grand scale that it had.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Product of the evening: WIP study of a statue at the Louvre.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more sketches from my sketchbook, excuse the bad quality photos, I'll try and scan them next time.

Row 1: some imaginary faces and some poses using S shapes, inspired by our character design class.
    Row 2: A drawing of ANTM cycle 1's winner and two quick attempts to sketch out wolverine.
    Row 3: Some pose and face practice.

And another post on Poseidon, slowly detailing more areas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some 20 min speedpaints. I used ref for the last one: http://arttalk.ru/forum/files/31_156.jpg

I notice my observation skills are okay but I'm having a lot of trouble drawing by heart. I'm actually pretty uncomfortable drawing by heart because I'm so used to drawing from reference. Anyone got tips on how to effectively battle that, aside from the (I know that's the better part of it) more practice?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! Keep at it! I really liked the girl with the scarf charcoal? drawing

Yours sincerely,
    Fniss

My sketchbook

My Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fniss: Thanks! It was indeed charcoal. I had a lot of fun with it =)

----

Another 20 min speedie, also with ref: link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sooooo, another update!

I've been interning at a company for the past few months so I've been doing a lot of drawing! Sadly I can't show it cause it's under NDA =( So here's a little personal thing: another self portrait! Focused on values and likeness for now, I'm gonna be adding colours later. I'm saving detailing the hair for that point too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaand another resurrection as I am done with my internship and have more free time now. I've been participating in a few CHoWs and planning on more in the future. Here's an update on the sketches for that, WIPs etc.

Name:  turnaround.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  103.2 KB

Name:  CHoW#253_Metafix.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  343.8 KB

Name:  wip253.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  238.6 KB

Name:  sketches01.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  412.1 KB

Name:  sketches02.JPG
Views: 1461
Size:  309.3 KB

Name:  sketches03.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  217.3 KB

Name:  turnaround01.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  152.4 KB

Name:  comp2e.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  476.8 KB

Name:  wip254.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  342.7 KB

Last edited by Rengin; August 4th, 2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: edit attachments

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here's some more, I'm designing a level for Banjo & Kazooie (N64) with a "moon" theme for school. These are some sketches: a transformation form for Banjo and a rasta character that will give Banjo an assignment. The first set of vehicle designs is kinda whacky xD Decided to go for the more standard moon rover after some feedback.

Name:  moonRoverWEB.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  216.5 KB

Name:  moonRoverColorsWEB.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  108.3 KB

Name:  rastaAlien.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  290.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And more sketches. The eyes and chick with the weird helmet (Erha) are from ref and so is the last one (a Hogarth book I just bought and plan to draw from at least once a day). The rest is from imagination. I should really draw on a table when studying from a book, the Hogarth drawing turned out pretty warped =\ Sorry for the poor quality, don't have a scanner at my disposal for a while.

Name:  Photo on 2011-08-06 at 22.21.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  126.6 KB

Name:  Photo on 2011-08-06 at 22.22 #5.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  167.5 KB

Name:  Photo on 2011-08-06 at 22.23 #2.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  118.7 KB

Name:  Photo on 2011-08-06 at 22.23.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  147.9 KB

Name:  Photo on 2011-08-06 at 22.24.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  116.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work, I love seeing how your sketches transpired into the final piece. Even from this small collection of work, I can definitely see a progression (for the better!). Muscle studies are excellent, and fun to sketch, too. Good stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    atombaby: Thanks! =D I always find it interesting to see the works in progress for a piece so I thought it might interest other people too; glad to hear I was right!

--

As for today's sketches: Some small sketches I did while waiting to pick someone up in the Amsterdam Passenger Terminal. That line at the bottom is the first attempt to sketch the interior too but I got a call that they'd arrived after about 2 sketchy strokes! xD

Below that a model sheet. It's an alternate surgery table that would belong in the werewolf doc's lab in the movie Underworld.

Name:  Photo on 2011-08-08 at 22.16.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  65.4 KB

Name:  model sheet.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  287.4 KB

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.