Art: Museum Stuff

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Museum Stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Museum Stuff

These are a couple of bits I did end of 2009/beginning of 2010. Both were for a new London visitor centre/exhibition.

The "Architectual Jigsaw" is a set of buildings that you have to arrange to re-create Christopher Wren's original design.

Museum Stuff

Museum Stuff

The masters were assembled from laser-cut elevations and cast up in Task 15, which is a really durable high impact resin... so they are actually indestructable

I also made a model of the interior of a lost Tudor Chapel, based on a historian's sketch. Apologies for poor photography - the model is housed behind glass in a dark alcove

Museum Stuff

Museum Stuff

Museum Stuff

This one was pretty much an exercise in laser-cutting. The deadline was pretty tight and I was off on holiday as well. It was good though - Once I had it drawn up it pretty much flew together. Also it's bolted together rather than glued, so it's completely disassemble-able (I've done historical stuff before - there's always a bit of tinkering to do when you ask the historians to sign it off )

There's a bit of a hoo-har about posting stuff online atm, so no wips right now - these pictures were taken whilst wearing my "joe public" hat

Thoughts welcome

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MikeMakesMonkeys; June 30th, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Historical miniatures well done are very cool! As is this one. Amazing to think that before the advent of movies etc these dioramas would travel around and be a great source of education and entertainment. Nice work Mate.

We are remembered only by what we leave behind.

http://www.kilts.co.nz/WheelerKnives.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I thought diorama's were a sort of extinct artform. But glad to see that someone is keeping it up as I find them amazing, checking out each little detail that catches my eye. Cheers

So, where will your imagination take you today?...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers guys, it was a great model to be able to make - a little more time on it would have been nice though

It's funny you mention the travelling diorama thing - the Jigsaw piece has a portable double that I think they plan on taking round the country to shows and events etc...

One last pic that I forgot I had - It has my mate Ray in it ( )... but it does give the chapel a bit of scale:
    Museum Stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice work. Don't you just hate dead-lines? They sap the artistic process, and I have found that most of them are just a way to pressure the artist for some unknown reason,{ I think thats called oppression,} Can't have us creative types just running around unchecked.
    Great job!

Mah ' Crub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i would like to say thank you to ray also, for opening the flap so we can see such wonderful work! bravo sir

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mah ' Crub View Post
    Really nice work. Don't you just hate dead-lines? They sap the artistic process, and I have found that most of them are just a way to pressure the artist for some unknown reason,{ I think thats called oppression,} Can't have us creative types just running around unchecked.
    Great job!

Mah ' Crub
    I dunno - yeah they suck.. but at the same time "running around unchecked" for me involves procrastinating and getting sidetracked. I do all my best work when my life is at stake

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    i would like to say thank you to ray also, for opening the flap so we can see such wonderful work! bravo sir
    I'll pass it on next time I see him, and thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I popped down to London again last weekend and this time managed to infiltrate the Museum of London and track down some forgotten relics.

This one is a touchable (read: Indestructible) life size WW2 children's gas mask. Sculpted in plastiline, moulded in silicone, cast in polyurethane. (I got to measure up an original - which was amazing, it was in near-perfect condition.)

Museum Stuff

Museum Stuff

Museum Stuff

I also worked on a children's play-table - based on 1930s-ish London it has pushable resin vehicles that move along slots. The masters for the vehicles were mostly cad/laser jobs, although there are a couple of bits of sculpting and more traditional sand-and-fill in there. I also did the phone box, which was cad and laser (again... it's quick). Duplicates were then cast up in coloured fast cast.

Museum Stuff

Museum Stuff

Museum Stuff

The play table also includes other elements - if you press one button a train in a tunnel motors round, and if you press others, little sewer scenes and sounds light up. The men who shovel poo were re-sculpted on 1980s Preiser backpackers and the rat was just dead quick.

Museum Stuff

Museum Stuff

Museum Stuff

Hopefully I'll clear some wips at some point, but for now this shaky low-light poo will have to do

I actually learnt a fair deal from both of these, and they were fun things to work on... Well, the playtable will be the one I remember though - thanks to this bad-boy (*gore) and got me an instant 2 week holiday

....So up until that point it was fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wowo thease are great ! this one > interior of a lost Tudor Chapel < lol i want one in my house !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of projects I have worked on have opened to the public, and are beginning to surface on the internets, so I thought I'd start sneakily posting some links.

One is a museum in Liverpool - the model sits in front of a massive window that overlooks the actual buildings… so no pressure to be accurate (The buildings are me)
    Museum Stuff
    Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5499698...57627114221239

Museum Stuff
    Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5499698...57627114221239

Museum Stuff
    Source: http://www.myliverpoolforum.org/view...t=7123&p=98636

Hopefully I'll be able to get some better/my own pictures at some point now the museum is open.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mike....the stuff looks great.....I remember this thread from before, and it's even better now. BUT HEY, that's a pretty nasty cut...how'd you do that....no...don't tell me....you were opening a can of Russian caviar on the deck of your yacht while coming about.???? And there was a tall brunett involved....am I right?

Mah ' Crub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yacht and brunette.. yeah, that was pretty much it

All healed now, apart from the scar and some sensation - thankfully all the useful stuff was unaffected

(mehamgul101 is a spammer, isn't he...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow these are awesome what are your buildings made of ?? and please say you don't hand sculpt the buildings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks!

As with most things I make, these are built from laser-cut perspex. Working from photo reference, I drew up the buildings in AutoCAD, then generated components so I could build up each building face from layers of cut perspex. Cut the components out, layered them up around a footplate and a top plate (thicker laser-cut perspex), hopefully all the pieces fit together perfectly (ie: I've added the correct distance to cover the material thickness onto the ones that overlap on the corners etc..). The towers and weird bits were more complex, but based on the same basic principle.

Bit of a sand, bit of a fill, splash of paint, job done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMakesModels View Post
    These are a couple of bits I did end of 2009/beginning of 2010. Both were for a new London visitor centre/exhibition.

The "Architectual Jigsaw" is a set of buildings that you have to arrange to re-create Christopher Wren's original design.

The masters were assembled from laser-cut elevations and cast up in Task 15, which is a really durable high impact resin... so they are actually indestructable

I also made a model of the interior of a lost Tudor Chapel, based on a historian's sketch. Apologies for poor photography - the model is housed behind glass in a dark alcove

This one was pretty much an exercise in laser-cutting. The deadline was pretty tight and I was off on holiday as well. It was good though - Once I had it drawn up it pretty much flew together. Also it's bolted together rather than glued, so it's completely disassemble-able (I've done historical stuff before - there's always a bit of tinkering to do when you ask the historians to sign it off )

There's a bit of a hoo-har about posting stuff online atm, so no wips right now - these pictures were taken whilst wearing my "joe public" hat

Thoughts welcome
    you sculpted my university!! hey hey!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic buildings!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ta!

Someone sent me a link to quite a cool one:

Museum Stuff
    Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alancookson/5961226181/

Also starting to find a few pictures of another job I was on, this time it was going to an aquarium in Istanbul - all the famous and notable people's houses around the Bosporus. I didn't build all of these by myself, but I did produce the CAD to a level where it was a slot-together laser-cut/cnc-routed kit that would (hopefully) let the other modelmakers to put them together at a rate of knots

The tree/cityscape behind them was then the biggest Photoshop file I've ever created Something like 35 metres of photo-montaged buildings and trees if I recall correctly...

Museum Stuff
    Museum Stuff
    Source: http://berceste.blogspot.com/2011/06...-akvaryum.html

Museum Stuff
    Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gurayde...n/photostream/

Museum Stuff
    Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kayihan...n/photostream/

(I'll admit I had some reservations about this one, but now it's all cleaned up, lit with proper lighting and filled with fish - the whole aquarium setup looks absolutely stunning!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic - clicked on some related images and stumbled across a Flickr treasure trove

Finally some less fish-centric pics

Museum Stuff
    Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mertalp/6744171595

Museum Stuff
    Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mertalp/6744176647

Museum Stuff
    Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mertalp/6744166621

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.