EOW 142: Interstellar lighthouse Poll Multivote!!!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: eow 142: Interstellar Light house Poll

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • EOW 142: Interstellar lighthouse Poll Multivote!!! truepinkas

1 3.85%
  • EOW 142: Interstellar lighthouse Poll Multivote!!! sholly

3 11.54%
  • EOW 142: Interstellar lighthouse Poll Multivote!!! android411

5 19.23%
  • EOW 142: Interstellar lighthouse Poll Multivote!!! Zapp!

0 0%
  • EOW 142: Interstellar lighthouse Poll Multivote!!! korpehn

8 30.77%
  • EOW 142: Interstellar lighthouse Poll Multivote!!!Ionpainter

9 34.62%
  • EOW 142: Interstellar lighthouse Poll Multivote!!! Si_Swe

1 3.85%
  • EOW 142: Interstellar lighthouse Poll Multivote!!! Jim_Hatama

19 73.08%
  • EOW 142: Interstellar lighthouse Poll Multivote!!! refraction

0 0%
  • EOW 142: Interstellar lighthouse Poll Multivote!!! vorp

0 0%
  • EOW 142: Interstellar lighthouse Poll Multivote!!! ironchicken

0 0%
  • EOW 142: Interstellar lighthouse Poll Multivote!!! Emokun

1 3.85%
  • EOW 142: Interstellar lighthouse Poll Multivote!!! 3mMajster

1 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EOW 142 Interstellar lighthouse

interpret as you will.

DUE May 24 2010

Go!!

NO description required, say what you need to say visually. the words are already there.

FOLLOW THE TOPIC.

POST YOUR FINAL HERE THREAD.

SAVE YOUR FILES IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT.
    EOW##_Nickname
    example: "EOW#100_Chaosrocks.jpg"

PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC

example from CHOW

(you can add CA logo, etc).

Add an icon to you final post
    150 pixels either direction
    PLEASE OUTSIDE HOST THE ICON
    k thx
    An outside host means exactly that - an image host that's not Conceptart.org. Instead of adding the thumbnail with the attachment manager you have to host it on another site (your private domain, photobucket, (both recommended) or imageshack for instance).
    The full image gets added with the attachment manager, however.

After you uploaded the thumbnail somewhere, you simply add the [IMG] [/IMG] around it and you're done

Last edited by chaosrocks; June 1st, 2010 at 10:20 PM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

These large interstellar lighthouses are used to mark planets with unusually large gravity wells, serving as a warning for less powerful ships that might otherwise be drawn in and unable to escape.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Truepinkas; May 24th, 2010 at 10:51 PM.
    "...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Harnessed quasar.

Name:  quasar.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  271.9 KB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sholly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, heres my final!

Name:  eow142-interstellar-lighthouse08.png
Views: 1466
Size:  726.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made it in time.^^

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Astrotech's Mining Conglomerate has had many facilities in the Hawking Eta systems' asteroid belts. Accidents in the past have led to a build-up of dangerous debris clouds. It was then that the AMC decided to begin constructing light beacons atop their mining facilities to function as guides through the debris, for approaching cargo ships.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is mine EOW 142: Interstellar lighthouse Poll Multivote!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim_Hatama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by vorp; May 24th, 2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Couldn't get attachment working
    Boston Area Splinter Cell 36: Jushra | Vorp | Purb36 | PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  EOW142_Ironchicken.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  61.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope I'm not late.
    My first EOW.

Last edited by 3mMajster; May 26th, 2010 at 04:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    closed
    aaand

AAAWE SUM

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So can we do the crit and comment thing, or should we wait for the poll to be up?

"...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh you can crit and comment all you like at this point... sorry to be slack withthe poll. patience please.. and work on those "Lothloriens"

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work everyone!

Sholly - While I can't fathom where in the universe you'd be able to gather the amount of materials to construct such a massively large structure, I believe it is a very elegant design. The cold almost monochromatic mood makes this thing feel like an ancient, long forgotten, structure. Only real crit is that the ellipses could have been done more carefully.

android411 - You did a great job illustrating scale in this, but I really find myself more interested in the civilization than the lighthouse. I'm also really not crazy about the color scheme here, I think the monochromatic one in the wips worked significantly better.

Zapp! - Okay Zapp!, out with it! what program/brushes did you use? I just love the soft feeling this is giving off. I feel like I could sink my teeth into these surfaces. Aside form really enjoying the rendering style, I was having a hard time with this piece. The composition is pretty bulky overall and it's more about the asteroids than the lighthouses (which feel more like glorified front porch lights IMO). I look forward to seeing more of your stuff in the future.

korpehn - The retro look is GREAT, but it's way too dark for a LIGHThouse. I think if you had properly lit that structure so we could see all the little details in there you'd of gotten my vote, but it's just so dark and hard to see (the exact opposite of the purpose of a lighthouse) that I just can't get over it.

Ionpainter - You've got good energy going on here, and I like that the lighthouse isn't at a standard orientation, but I'm actually having a bit of a hard time reading the surroundings. Are they clouds, are they rocks, are they giant alien creatures? I do like the ship a lot though and think it reads very well.

Si_Swe - Interesting design. It certainly has an industrial/corporate feel to it. I think the rendering could have been cleaned up a bit more though. Also maybe a wider format where the canvas is extended to the left would have helped. As it is your cropping is clipping into the lighthouse pretty badly, which makes the image feel crammed, and not in a good way.

Jim_Hatama - Gorgeous rendering here. The colors are perfect as well. I'm just not sure I'm feeling 'Interstellar Lighthouse' from it, it reads to me as being underground in a large cave . I'm also having a little bit of a hard time with the ships which look like they are on a kamikaze mission to blow up the lighthouse.

vorp - I think your concept is something like captured moons? Well I guess they'd have to be light emitting themselves otherwise it just wouldn't work... Either way this is a cute and whimsical piece. I think it could have been vastly improved with the addition of a star field of some sort though, and a more careful hand with the planet.

ironchicken - This is very 'dreamy' and organic, which sets it apart, but I think you could stand to widen your value range, which would help give the piece more depth.

Emokun - It feels flat and graphic, but in a purposeful way. It kinda reminds me of retro sci-fi stuff, which always has a warm place in my heart. I enjoy your star field a lot as well. I do have some issued with your seemingly arbitrarily placed X shaped rays of light. I'm not sure if that's supposed to represent rays and shadows, or more of a type of glare/flare. I also think you could have played up the hard lighting on the structure itself, it's clearly extremely bright, yet the station/house does not seem to be lit by it very much at all.

3mMajster - This is a very nice lighthouse station design and I love the unconventional viewing angle here, I think that is this pieces greatest strength. The two main things I think could be improved upon are the background and the light beams. To me the background is very shallow and kind of reminds me of a photo-studio backdrop. As for the beams of light, the perspective seems really off for the upper beam, even taking the spread into consideration.

Last edited by Truepinkas; May 28th, 2010 at 05:31 PM.

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Truepinkas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice Art!
    At first a little warning. Please don't accept everything that I say.^^
    Everyone have its one style so you must decide if you accept my critique/suggestion or not. (I don't want to lead you in a false direction)
    I give my best to be objective.
    Hmmm....Truepinkas said nearly everything. xD

Truepinkas: It give me a nice retrostyle, but in the first second I thought it was some kind of Lasersword or Laserknife^^. I think the light is to bright.
    The Planet could be need a little more variation (in structure and color), perhaps with clouds. I think a picture would explain better that i mean : ) : http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0804...07_highres.jpg

Sholly: I like your big dimension and your background. But from the viewpoint of a normal consumer I would for wish for a little more details on your quasar-lighthouse. : )

Android411: At first you did a good job at the city and I like your idea of an big lighthouse. But the colours in the sky are to hard edging and intensive and blending should be a little bit smoother, picture: http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles29458.jpg
    Ah and please don't just copy the ships in the foreground. Different angles and designs/repaintings would be nice. : )

Zapp: I agree with Truepinkas, you have a great smoothy style. I think a little more shadows and details would be work fine. : )

korpehn: Very nice atmosphere and color selection in this piece. Truepinkas said it already, more details and light and it would look less broken (in my viewpoint). : )

Si_Swe: Nice idea, I have seen you draw many organic art. But in this case you need to draw clearer and straighter lines to give an technological feeling. A little ref : ) : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_Platform.jpg

Jim_Hatama: Wow, nice colours and style. Perhaps more details in train of the fleet? (but I think it counter your style, whatever) : )

Vorp: Cute! Whimsical, like Truepinkas said. But I miss a Starfield and more variation (or other angles) of the Lighthouses. Perhaps a little more rough details on the planet. : )

Ironchicken: That picture give my mysterious feeling. I don't why, nice!^^ Use more saturated colors. : )

Emokun: Great background! Use more reflecting red from the nebula because its in the foreground too, in order to let it look less flat : ) .http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Dust_Storm.jpg
    3mMajster: I enjoy your warm colors. Background and lightbeam angle like Truepinkas said. : )

@Truepinkas: My idea was beacon system through a collapsed planet. The lights are so hot that substances begin to vaporize/nebulize (comet-like tail).

Last edited by Ionpainter; May 29th, 2010 at 02:00 PM.

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ionpainter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone. Thanks for the crits, I really feel weak in the eviro area so it's really nice to get some good feedback on what I need to do.
    In response to the crits I got:
    Truepinkas: Thanks, for that I'll really try to make sure not to cram my images in the future. Yeah my rendering is pretty bad, I never know how detailed to go when it comes to large scale things like enviros so I'll end up either trying to do too much and having the image look way too busy and terrible or do way too little and the rendering look shoddy... I'll try and sharpen up my rendering by doing some studies.

Ionpainter: Thanks for that image! I'll try and do a study from that that one to tighten up my shapes a bit. And you're 100% right, I'm so used to creatures and organics, that going over to anything technological or architectural I end up struggling.

I want to do some crits but you'll have to bear with me because I'm so inexperienced with enviros. I'll try to just go with theory I actually know:
    Truepinkas - It's nice and simple and it gets the point across. If I have any major problem with it it's that the lighthouse looks less like a beacon and more like it's rocketing off at high speeds while burning some kind of purple fuel. I feel like the starscape could be loosened up a bit, too. It feels confined and a bit too organized.
    Sholly - I like the Gothic feel of the of the design and it creates a nice image. I think my main problem is that you've used a lot of black which (even with space) makes the image look flatter than it should. Substituting blacks with very dark colours would really give the space some depth.
    Android411 - While the image is really clean and crisp, and the cityscape is really well done, I have to agree with the comments about the colour scheme. Blues and oranges usually work well together but the orange here feels out of place, there is little in the way of gradient from the orange to the blue, the orange just seems to be in specific places (It also doesn't reflect into the river for some reason). You have a really tight style and I think if this image was a little looser it would be stronger. That's just me though.
    Ionpainter - The ship and the lighthouse itself are really solid, they have interesting designs are are very nicely rendered. The background is very ambiguous, especially in areas like where the lighthouse seems to connect with the background objects. I feel that more attention should have been payed to that aspect in particular.
    Jim_Hatama - This is a really gorgeous and eerie image, I'm just not really sure what's going on in it. I like the way the ships look like they're almost swimming through the air, and I love the way the background is rendered, but the lighthouse feels only suggested and what exactly is happening in a narrative sense is ambiguous.
    vorp - I like the image of the three lighthouses all floating in a line, it give the suggestion of many more we can't see and works with the rule of threes quite well. I don't feel the people were all that necessary, though, and the front... thing (I dunno what they are, they kind of look like robotic moths) looks out of focus, and the purpose of those objects is very unclear.
    ironchicken - This image made me think of the first two episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation for some reason, where they encounter these giant aliens that function like replicators. It's a nice whimsical feeling piece, but compositionally the eye gets immediately stuck on the focal point and can't really move around the piece. Establishing a better sense of flow would make the image much stronger.
    Emokun - While it's a really clean, well done image, one thing strikes me: it shows this amazing top to a building suggesting the bottom, and that's something I want to see, the image has no context, and that's important to establish (I think) with enviros.
    3mMajster - I like your beacon design a lot, because it looks like it could be a functional space station as well as being a beacon of some kind. I think if the details on the station part of it were sharper if would look a lot stronger as an image, and if the red lights looked a little more luminescent.

Cheers everyone, good stuff all 'round/round.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ionpainter: Yeah, I think my overall shape could have been a bit better thought out. I'm not sure that it's too bright per say, but maybe too large for the brightness? Thanks for the reference image.

@Si_Swe: I totally agree about the 'rocketing off' bit. That's actually why i ended up back at this orientation because when I rotated it it REALLY looked like it was rocketing off... As for the star field, i think i just ended up making it a bit too busy in response to a 'it's too empty' type comment form the original thread.

Cheers,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks very much for the critiques

Truepinkas - The brush that I used mostly is the second roller brush from "David Nagel's Photoshop Brushes, Series 1" which can be found at
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pho...o_Download.htm
    I use it very often, especially if I'm doing rocks and walls, because it uses pressure sensitivity to change it opacity so it can be quite soft but also can be used for a clean edge if you wanted.

Well done to to everyone that entered. I'll try and give some crits, although most of what I noticed has already been said.

Emokun I really like your background and lighthouse design. I dont think that you should have put the lighthouse right in the middle of the picture as it makes it seem pretty flat. Not sure if thats what you wanted to happen or not, but I would suggest moving it a bit to the right.

ironchicken As others have said it is a very dreamlike piece, which is nice. I think you could use that light blue cloud going through the picture to help with the composition. Maybe try having it spiral towards the lighthouse which would help the viewers eye to travel round the piece.

vorp I like the idea behind your lighthouses, though I wonder how the guy standing outside is going to breathe. Some of the image is a bit blurry, most noticeably the planet and the flying things wings.

Jim_Hatama I love the colours and rendering of this piece, and the spaceships remind of the Romulan (sp?) ship appearing through the black hole in the most recent Star Trek film. My only problem with the image is as has already been pointed out, that the lighthouse has only been suggested (I did that in my WIPs but chaosrocks made me change it).

Si_Swe I like the design of your lighthouse and the way it is built into the mining facility adds to the image as it tells a bit of your backstory. I also agree with the others that if your lines were straighter it would help convey that it is an industrial building.

Ionpainter My favourite things in this image are the ship and lighthouse designs, and I like your use of green here (though a bit of red here and there would have been nice). But I'm not too sure if I like the angle you've gone for. I think it might be better if you had a slightly less confusing angle for the lighthouse to be at. Just now it hurts my head to look at for too long as I try to figure out which was is up.

korpehn I think the rendering and colours here are great, and I like your ship and lighthouse designs as well. I do find it slightly strange however, that aside from the light at the top the lighthouse is the darkest thing in this image. I think that it would help if you were to put a couple more lights near the bottom of the lighthouse, or on that ring that goes round it.

I'll try and get everyone else tomorrow

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zapp! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG Im sorry!

Sketch book

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good job everybody
    3mMajster
    Good design. Looks like it could bee out there.
    Emokun
    Beatuful rendering. Very nice red space.
    ironchicken
    Nice forms and i like that they look almost transparent.
    vorp
    I like it. Its peaceful and epic.
    Jim_Hatama
    Great rendering and colours
    Si_Swe's
    I like the design. Perhaps you could have worked a bit more on the rendering to get the most out of it.
    Ionpainter
    Nice I like that the mysterious surrounding and light.
    korpehn
    Interesting to have a dark object on a dark background. I think it works. Perhaps the red and blue objects stands out a bit.
    Zapp!
    Nice mod in the picture.
    Android411
    I like the city scene. Perhaps the sky and the ground could bee more corresponding in colours.
    Sholly
    I like the design colours and rendering. Maybe you could work on the elips shape a bit.
    Truepinkas
    Nice colours in the flare.

I guess its to late to post finals. But sending what I got.

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the rest of my crits. I hope I didn't miss anyone.

3mMajster Interesting design, reminds me of some jewellery by a designer called Peter Chang. I think if you were to put some other object in this, it would help to give an idea of the scale of the lighthouse.

android411 Other than the yellow sky on the left hand side of the image, I like the colour scheme you have here. Just that the yellow is quite distracting and takes away from the feeling of night time that the rest of the image has.

Sholly I like the lighthouse design. Reminds me a bit of a Stargate, although some bits look a bit too spindly for me. I'd also suggest the same as with 3mMajster that if you were to add another object in, it would help to show the scale of the lighthouse a bit better.

Truepinkas I love the colour choice, especially the planet. I agree with Ionpainter that the light is just a bit too bright, I think there is maybe too much white in the light source which makes it slightly distracting.

JanJager I'm not really sure if I'm looking at this right or not, but it seems to me as though I'm looking from an asteroid covered in plants at the lighthouse, which I like. Just not sure if that's what you meant as it's a bit too dark and blurry in some parts. Other than that I do like your lighthouse. It reminds me a bit of Halo.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zapp! For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.