Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey this is nice. I like his celticness. I think the image would benefit greatly from some lighter lights. Especially in the background, you could go brighter and make this a lot more interesting. Throw some brighter highlights on him also.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, not color saturation. I am always a fan of minimal color.

It looks like you need to decide with more certainty where the light is hitting and where its not. I see light hitting his face, hands, and beard. I also see his broken horn casting a faint shadow. Everything else looks evenly lit, or evenly unlit. I really like the way the light is hitting his face and shadows are being cast from the helmet, but you need to put that lighting everywhere and maybe even lighten the lights on his face more.

Another way of describing it is that the clothing looks like its absorbing all light like a blackhole. Light is hitting his skin and beard, but the clothing is in darkness no matter what. For example, I would expect a much brighter area on his left pauldron because the light should be hitting it directly, but it looks immune to catching light. Of course another option is that the enviro is overcast and there is no direct light, in which case you could remove the cast shadows you have, and make it all ambient light.

Also, slap some white behind his head and I think you'll see what I mean about contrast.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

paintover

Hey darknight I did a quick paintover for you, hope you don't mind .
    I really like the character and colors ,and think by doing few changes you can get a more interesting picture out of it.
    In my opinion you focus too much on details, and while doing that your drawing looses space (I often do this mistake as well ). So try to work more zoomed out and when everything is fine there start on the detail, but don't get too lost in it.
    -I think that your character was way too dark, so i lighten his chest, arms, head, knee. It makes him more 3d I think, especially the chest was too flat. I also added some shadows.
    -The metals need some sharper highlights, right now all materials look nearly the same.
    - I also added light to the foreground
    - I changed the beard a little, I think it works better when the braids are not as close to each other
    - I made the fur longer to give him more interesting silhouette
    - I also rotated the image slightly to give it more dynamic composition and to show the whole axe (I think it looks better when it's not cropped).
    - I also added a little back light from the light background - that makes him pop out more

This is just my opinion how the image could be better for me of course you can have other opinion . I hope it helps you

Name:  dwarf paintover.jpg
Views: 2735
Size:  354.9 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MichalIvan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man I like the gritty/dark feel you were going for, but I have to agree with some of the comments said above, and I think MichalIvan's paintover does a good job of showing how you can use light to define forms a bit more. Much of the "form" of the dwarf was lost in the darkness. However, I do still like the gritty feel you had, so try to find a way to define the dwarf a bit better in terms of light and values, while at the same time trying to keep some of that dark and gritty feel you originally intended and you'll be in a good place :]

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LisandroG For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1