Thanks

Red Dead Redemption

Its been a couple days since its release so I figure its time for someone to start a thread about this remarkable game. While its not saying much, this is easilly the best Western Game ever released (I guess Gun would be a distant second, and the Call of Juarez games where just garbage in comparison).

I've always had soft spots for two historical periods: the middle ages and the old american west. I'm often surprised that this genre doesn't get more games, it just seems like it would be such a perfect setting for action games...

Anyways, I haven't even gotten that far into it yet and I've already had all kinds of fun experiences. I saved two prostitutes from getting gutted, captured four or five convicts, played poker, watched cartoons and stormed a mine. All very cool and a lot of fun.
    Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    Yup, I'm playing it and it's got GREAT buzz around it. So I am sure the game will sell great as it deserves to.

It's basically GTA4 + Sergio Leone movies + even better graphics. Story is great, characters are great, and the environment is pretty much as perfect as it gets.

Thanks
    Just finished it, here's how it went:

1. Bad guy dies, ending?
    2. A few missions later... oh, this is the ending? That's badass!
    3. OH! That's the REAL ending! (credits roll)

It feels a little empty in comparison to GTA, but that's what a giant desert gets you.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    I'm a sucker for the Sandbox Rockstar games because they always peg the environments just right. I haven't played it yet but I'm really excited to see all the details. I was watching someone play it over livestream the other night and was amazed when puddles formed on the ground during rain and the player can splash through it. To me, it's inspirational. They make some of the best living environments.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Thanked 8,376 Times in 1,130 Posts
    This game is great, glad I got it. I've only completed 2 missions because the free roaming is so good. , Dunno when I'll get to the MP part of it, killed a coyote last night and skinned it, too much fun. Some bandits were causing trouble in a town so I shot at them, knocked a guys hat off, he was like "whaaa" then I shot him. In the fact, this game is pretty awesome.

Thanks
    Speaking of Wild-West-themed games remember Sunset Riders and/or Wild Guns?
    The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.
    Nintendo Network ID: FightingSeraph

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    What about Wild Gunman? Crackshot!

I've only played through a little Red Dead but I'm digging it. Havent tried multiplayer yet though.

Thanks
    Been playing it for like 3 days straight. Love the collectible aspect to it all, the scenery is stunning, and the challenges are fun to do. Outta everything though, gotta say I enjoy hunting the most. So awesome to go trekking through the woods not knowing whats gonna ambush ya. Those damn cougars though!! Things will pop outta the blue and eat your face.

Thanks
    Really great game, I don't buy games too often these days (havent bought anything since demons souls) but I had to pick this one up. Great production values and art direction

Thanks
    I've been playing quite a bit over the last couple days. I've gotten completely side tracked by fetch quests (LOVE treasure hunting). I've only found a few flaws, and neither really ruins the game for me.

1.) The Y button doesn't need to do everything!! I normally don't have a problem with context sensitivity, but it's lead to several incidents where I accidentally did things I didn't want to.
    2.) There are a few technical flaws as well, which is to be expected in this sort of game. One in particular threw me up in the air like thirty feet and then I plummeted screaming to my death...although in that case I didn't really mind because it was so entertaining.
    Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wiggum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The only downside to the game imo is the lack of challenges. Once I started to get the hang of them they kinda flew by. They were fun, but didn't last nearly as long as I hoped they would. Really hope they add more via dlc.

And train robbing!!! game desperately needs a real train robbing mechanic! If they put a safe in it and gave me a way to rob the passengers and i'd be in heaven.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Been playing it all week. Unlike GTA IV, it doesn't get boring despite it's repetitiveness. There's enough of a variety of things to do so that you can always mix it up. Sunset and sunrise remind me of the stuff from N.C. Wyeth

Red Dead Redemption
    Red Dead Redemption

It's a very immersive experience. There are times when I ride through the plains where I completely get sucked in and I can imagine actually being there.

Though it does have it's flaws. It froze up once on me. I don't really like that there is no autosave either. And the earned outfits so far have been pointless except for the Elegant Suit. The Bollard Twin outfit, spoiler alert, is the exact same as the cowboy outfit except it has a bandanna.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The weather is also excellent. Normally in games that try to simulate weather things just change very quickly. I was in a mexican town and the wind started to pick up (with all the tent tops blowing around) and the sky went greyish. I remeber actually saying "looks like a storm's a brewin.'" Then it started comming down hard and the rain formed puddles. Excellent experience.

I just ordered a bunch of western movies on netflix, probably catch up with the man with no name over the weekend.
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Just played for a few hours and I'm loving it.

The place feels so real!
    Parka Blogs <- Most dangerous blog for artists (and their wallets).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Really well made game. On a personal note I'm really enthusiastic about a game when it manages to bring the feeling of "nostalgia" and even "home sickness" into its world: When you travel around the globe (and try to resist the urge to fast-travel), then head back to a place you hadn't been for a very long time, it really did give me a vibe of being away from the place for a long stretch of time. The world is very expansive and Rockstar did a very good job on allowing you to connect with the main characters. The ending (will not give spoilers) was very emotionally successful, very powerful.

That, and road hauling people is pretty fun too.

Edit: Oh by the way, make sure you play Gang Shootout on multiplayer online and wait for the next round to start. It's intense: You basically have a lineup of 16 players, 8 per side, looking at each other about to quick draw like the duels in single player (though no dead-eye, can't slow down time across 16 players!).... All 16 of you stand there in a tense silence for a few seconds, then all quick draw your sidearms and try to gun the other team down at point blank range before the proper "shoot out" begins.

The quick draw 'scrum' at the start is a hysterical adrenaline rush, shit just hits the fan haha.

Lol at wiggum's glitch of getting thrown in the air. I had something similar in a mission where John see's trouble riding over the hill towards him and his companion... then says "this isn't good... get ready for trouble" or something along those lines... and prepares his rifle... then it gave control to me and I was stuck underneath the floor and couldn't do anything about it. "Yup, this really isn't good".

That was less entertaining though. But there was one time where I tried to stop a horse being stolen by a thief and he ran it into the front of an oncoming train, now THAT was funny!
    Last edited by BlightedArt; June 7th, 2010 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks
    I love this game! I'm the most incompetent cowboy - my heart's in the right place, but things just don't work out. On account of my love of shooting and disdain for aiming.

Getting drunk is the best thing, though I wish it would let me ride my horse. I swore to give it up after I passed out in front of the Saloon and a prostitute got horribly murdered a couple of feet away from me. Boy, that was awkward.

First console game I've bought in a couple of years and I've no regrets - great game. Stunning world, awesome fun. Wish I could play multiplayer, but I'm not getting Live for just the one game

Thanks
    I beat it. But something is bothering me. In the early part of the game there was a side mission called Jenny's Faith. I went through that mission and brought her the medicine, but I felt pretty bad for her so I just hog tied her and brought her back into town so she could get some treatment. Unfortunatly I happened to run into Westdickens by the Doctor's office and this started up another mission and effectively phased both my horse and poor tied up Jenny out of existance before I had a chance to cut her free.

So did anyone else finish this mission? Whatever happened to ol' Jenny?
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    If I remember right you give her the medicine and she kinda sorts things out on her own, Like....you give her the medicine, little chat, mission over, the end, move on.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Yeah that's pretty much it. You give her the medicine and that's about that. Remember this game pokes fun towards the virtues of religion and government... you're actually SUPPOSED to feel ambivalent most of the time haha.

When I finished that mission I road-hauled her for a bit... then hogtied her and rode around, dropped her and cut her free... then captured someone else, hogtied them and left them on the train track and waited.... Splat.

I felt like a villain in those old TV shows.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlightedArt View Post
    ... then captured someone else, hogtied them and left them on the train track and waited.... Splat.

I felt like a villain in those old TV shows.
    In the PS3 version you get a trophy for that called "Dastardly." And it looks like a top hat over curly mustache like Snidely Whiplash.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks

These glitches are incredible.
    Last edited by Dorkthrone; June 10th, 2010 at 04:37 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorkthrone For This Useful Post: