My First Serious Work
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: My First Serious Work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My First Serious Work

Hi. This was done in photoshop, and it was the first time I tried shading realistically. I would greatly appreciate any criticism on this piece, because I want to continue working on this drawing and hopefully improve it a bit. Specifically the background: I want to eventually make it look a lot more realistic, but I have a ton of trouble making realistic mountains, so any help on that would be awesome.

STORY: This nameless abomination is the only known demonic war general to actually disobey the fallen angel Lucifer and try to overthrow him. He obviously failed, and as punishment for his treason, the King of Hell ripped off the generals face and stretched it over forever burning rods that also pass through his eye. He was disemboweled and every content of his body is now trapped in a glass cone of boiling tears. He now serves as the gatekeeper to the Burning Hells. He stares every freshly damned soul directly in the eye, making them suffer from simply looking at him and hearing his mind scream in infinite agony. He's also kind of a dick.

edit: resized it and a ton of fine detail was lost :/

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Blood_and_Fire; May 24th, 2010 at 01:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the best advice we could give you is STUDY! Study more and more. If you wanna go for realistic shading, I got to draw realistic at first. Check your anatomy, position, perspective, composition, etc.

Rodrigo Windt Concept Art
    my sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say the first thing you should be working on is drawing basic shapes and how to draw three dimensional forms. Then work on anatomy once you've got a handle on that. Learn gesture and posing, draw from life a lot. And ditch Photoshop while you're doing that, pencil and paper are all you need. Pick PS back up again once you've got a good grasp of the fundamentals. Jumping steps in the learning process generally ends up making it all take longer.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea i will heed your advice. This was kind of my 'starting up' project, because I've been so busy with school I haven't been able to do anything artistic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just want to say that I appreciate the creativity in your piece of work. Now I want to know what the story is with Kite-Face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wooblood View Post
    I just want to say that I appreciate the creativity in your piece of work. Now I want to know what the story is with Kite-Face.
    thanks, i just added a small background story to him above the pic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't stop.

Are you going to continue this particular piece?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by anniebelle View Post
    Don't stop.

Are you going to continue this particular piece?
    Yea, I'm going to work on his guts and make them shaded and shiny to get them a nasty gorey feel. Also, I'm going to take a lot of time to study geography and mountain formations and volcanoes, so that sometime soon I can greatly improve the background.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    everything alright at home?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uhhhh...yea. Why lol

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's no reason on God's green earth why that picture should be so
    HUGE.
    Resize and re-attach, or I'm going to delete it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As all ready mentioned your image is very very flat. The composition is pretty boring and the anatomy isn't all that believable. Nezumi is right in that it would be very beneficial for you to take some time to seriously study anatomy.

My honest advice would be to lay this piece to rest, take your skills up a notch, and then revisit it with said new found skills. I just think their are too many issues and trying to fix them with the existing image would be far more work than starting anew. I don't mean to sound harsh or anything, and remember that this is just my personal opinion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Avvatar View Post
    As all ready mentioned your image is very very flat. The composition is pretty boring and the anatomy isn't all that believable. Nezumi is right in that it would be very beneficial for you to take some time to seriously study anatomy.

My honest advice would be to lay this piece to rest, take your skills up a notch, and then revisit it with said new found skills. I just think their are too many issues and trying to fix them with the existing image would be far more work than starting anew. I don't mean to sound harsh or anything, and remember that this is just my personal opinion.
    yea that's pretty much what I had in mind, because this really was my very first attempt at anything detailed in photoshop. And yes I am going to eventually start it again because now I know this character better, so besides completely redoing everything, I'll will probably make some dynamic poses for him and expand this drawing A LOT more.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.