Finding the right Art Community, torn between styles.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Finding the right Art Community, torn between styles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Finding the right Art Community, torn between styles.

I'm torn and in a dilemma, maybe you guys can help me.

For many years, I've been an anime styled artist. I still like anime, don't get me wrong, but I've acquired a taste for fantasy/sci fi art and illustration. Most artists online like to get some feedback on their stuff. I've had good luck with Deviantart but people there like me for my Anime type drawings and aren't really receptive to me branching out or trying things that are more realistic. Not only that, but recently I had a forum thread locked when I posted a review of CS5 in the Software section of the forum because I didn't "encourage conversation". Needless to say, its left a bad taste in my mouth. I come here, and its a fantastic site and looks helpful, with great, professional people. However, I get very little if any response to stuff I post and usually zero responses if it looks slightly Japanese.

Its like the anime stink has followed me and its repulsive to many here. Sometimes I like to do both styles though, I'm not ready to swear off the art that actually has me a small following. Should I just not post anime related things here at all? Is there a site better suited to me?

Any advice or suggestions for me are much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If people don't post is because there are hundreds of people posting at once, so you are going to get lost in the wave.

By feedback do you mean ass-kissing? or do you want critiques?

You can post whatever you want.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    If people don't post is because there are hundreds of people posting at once, so you are going to get lost in the wave.

By feedback do you mean ass-kissing? or do you want critiques?

You can post whatever you want.

Feedback of any sort. Positive is great but I get enough of that on DA. I'd rather have one well founded critical review that helps me than 30 "Looks Cool" comments.

Yes you are right, I do feel lost in the wave. Interaction is why we're all here in the first place, without that, there's no point of showing off anything that you make.

I did find that if I post sci-fi or fantasy art, that I get wayyyy more comments than if something looks anime/manga related. I think people see enough of that that they don't really care much for it here.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's some people on here who do anime-influenced stuff as well...

Maybe it's just a case of "you get back what you give out"? Same as on DA - the more active you are on the site and the more you interact with people, the more likely it is they'll give feedback.

Maybe try finding sketchbook threads by people with similar tastes, and give feedback on them? Some of them may start giving feedback on yours as well. Or try joining a sketchbook group - there's a bunch of those, where people give mutual feedback on a regular basis.

You shouldn't let your current watchers limit you on DA, either - if you mix a few non-anime pieces in with your regular work now and then, but keep posting anime stuff as well, you should be able to keep the interest of your current watchers and maybe gain some new ones. But again, if you want to expand your circle, it helps if you put yourself out there. Maybe join some groups or enter some contests with non-anime stuff to attract a different audience.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    There's some people on here who do anime-influenced stuff as well...

Maybe it's just a case of "you get back what you give out"? Same as on DA - the more active you are on the site and the more you interact with people, the more likely it is they'll give feedback.

Maybe try finding sketchbook threads by people with similar tastes, and give feedback on them? Some of them may start giving feedback on yours as well. Or try joining a sketchbook group - there's a bunch of those, where people give mutual feedback on a regular basis.

You shouldn't let your current watchers limit you on DA, either - if you mix a few non-anime pieces in with your regular work now and then, but keep posting anime stuff as well, you should be able to keep the interest of your current watchers and maybe gain some new ones. But again, if you want to expand your circle, it helps if you put yourself out there. Maybe join some groups or enter some contests with non-anime stuff to attract a different audience.
    Hmm, some solid advice from QueenGuenevere. I have posted on some sketchbooks, but probably not nearly enough as you say. Maybe I just haven't spent enough time on CA. Thanks for the encouragement.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you haven't read the book Art & Fear there is some great advice about critiques. Critiques are best received by those peer that understand your goals. Now the second part of this is, finding those people in which you just have to branch out. While the book mentions family members and good peers, it's finding those peers so you can get that advice.

While going over and commenting on other people's works help, the above still applies - don't go just adding comments without thought to that person's goals simply because you want comments yourself.

*note: This is pertaining to critiques, and not general comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I won't lie, people here seem to prefer more "painterly" work. That's what most of them do, so i guess they feel uncomfortable when giving a critique on something that they are not very familiar with. Also they are most likely to give critique on someone they know, none likes to waste time on strangers unless it looks really interesting. Just be active (without spamming) and look out for people who are interested in the same style.

And don't worry about your watchers, they are worthless anyway I mean, it's cool when people like what you do, but when you look out for a job, none will care how many "virtual" fans you have if you can make interesting work. And right now it seems that these watchers are limiting you from experimenting, because you feel need to satisfy them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    If you haven't read the book Art & Fear there is some great advice about critiques. Critiques are best received by those peer that understand your goals. Now the second part of this is, finding those people in which you just have to branch out. While the book mentions family members and good peers, it's finding those peers so you can get that advice.

While going over and commenting on other people's works help, the above still applies - don't go just adding comments without thought to that person's goals simply because you want comments yourself.

*note: This is pertaining to critiques, and not general comments.

Art & Fear huh? I'll have to check it out. That's some good wisdom there. I usually feel I give pretty good critiques but I can't say I always make it a point to understand the person's goals before I give them a critique. Thanks for the insightful advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vari View Post
    I won't lie, people here seem to prefer more "painterly" work. That's what most of them do, so i guess they feel uncomfortable when giving a critique on something that they are not very familiar with. Also they are most likely to give critique on someone they know, none likes to waste time on strangers unless it looks really interesting. Just be active (without spamming) and look out for people who are interested in the same style.

And don't worry about your watchers, they are worthless anyway I mean, it's cool when people like what you do, but when you look out for a job, none will care how many "virtual" fans you have if you can make interesting work. And right now it seems that these watchers are limiting you from experimenting, because you feel need to satisfy them.
    I wouldn't say my watchers are worthless. Besides making a few friends, many of them actively seek me out to buy prints at conventions. I may stop doing conventions soon because I feel its a hindrance in some ways, maybe even preventing me from branching out in new directions. As far as ConceptArt.org, I feel like people write me off as soon as they see anime but I do a wide range of styles. But you're right, I need to be more active on the site so people recognize me. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    People here tend to like anime if it's really really good. It's not that they don't like it, it's that they have a lot of respect for the 'masters' or 'classic' animes, and not a lot of patience for the hundreds and hundreds of imitation anime wannabes that abound on the internet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Deviantart can be ok sometimes but some people start watching you because you do something very specific and become irritated if you dare stray from that. Itís probably held quite a few people back. Branch out, you can continue with anime but do move onto other things to, get the best of both worlds.

Anyway, Iíve noticed I tend to get comments the more I participate. If you donít you just kind of end up getting lost in with all the other sketchbooks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RyerOrdStar View Post
    People here tend to like anime if it's really really good. It's not that they don't like it, it's that they have a lot of respect for the 'masters' or 'classic' animes, and not a lot of patience for the hundreds and hundreds of imitation anime wannabes that abound on the internet.
    Yeah, I noticed that too. Seems like only top 1-2% of quality anime art gets noticed here. I'm an old school anime fan myself, maybe that will help. I might just end up not really posting a lot of anime stuff here and just keep that on DA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePlatypus View Post
    Deviantart can be ok sometimes but some people start watching you because you do something very specific and become irritated if you dare stray from that. Itís probably held quite a few people back. Branch out, you can continue with anime but do move onto other things to, get the best of both worlds.

Anyway, Iíve noticed I tend to get comments the more I participate. If you donít you just kind of end up getting lost in with all the other sketchbooks.
    Yup, thats my problem exactly. Nice thing, is that people have seen some variety from me in the past so they're not shocked when I post something different on DA. Doesn't usually sell well though at conventions. Its a conundrum. Ultimately, I need to follow my heart despite the consequences. I will be more active on CA from now on though. Thanks for the comment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm new to this site and I was also wondering the best way to get my feet wet in here. I have decided it is to regularly attempt at participating in CHOW's or the other contests. And yeah, that Sketch group idea is good, I might have to try that eventually.

Your stuff is pretty nice, I think you could compete in chows, even with the super anime-ish pencil works like in your SB. Just maybe apply a more painterly feel to the coloring etc, I think that would look really nice.

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrobiology View Post
    I'm new to this site and I was also wondering the best way to get my feet wet in here. I have decided it is to regularly attempt at participating in CHOW's or the other contests. And yeah, that Sketch group idea is good, I might have to try that eventually.

Your stuff is pretty nice, I think you could compete in chows, even with the super anime-ish pencil works like in your SB. Just maybe apply a more painterly feel to the coloring etc, I think that would look really nice.
    Thanks Astrobiology, I usually don't participate in contests, but maybe it would be good for me. Being a dad, my drawing time is limited so I usually put it into practical projects. I'm working on some more detailed, less-animeish stuff. Usually people here like that better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I see what you mean about time allocation, but if I am correct, though the submission to the CHOW has to be made specifically for that contest to begin with, I am fairly certain that afterward one is free to do with the image what they like. So, in that case, you could take the topic and come up an image that fulfills the topic -and- practicality for you.

And from what I gathered while going over all previous CHOWs, it seemed like the community here isn't so much caring about anime-ish shapes, I really think it's just they they care for this specific type of color/shadow application. But yes, it does seem true that the super detailed is preferred.

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrobiology View Post
    Yeah I see what you mean about time allocation, but if I am correct, though the submission to the CHOW has to be made specifically for that contest to begin with, I am fairly certain that afterward one is free to do with the image what they like. So, in that case, you could take the topic and come up an image that fulfills the topic -and- practicality for you.

And from what I gathered while going over all previous CHOWs, it seemed like the community here isn't so much caring about anime-ish shapes, I really think it's just they they care for this specific type of color/shadow application. But yes, it does seem true that the super detailed is preferred.
    I've never been offended by Sci-Fi/Fantasy art people shying away from anime. Once the anime boom hit, at least in the us, forums were flooded with 16 year olds drawing anime. People doing scifi/fantasy art are probably sick of seeing anime artists getting so much attention and are burnt out on it. Just my bad luck I guess that I got into something originally that became so popular later on.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You don't necessarily have to do the big contests on the site. Try doing a DSG. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

http://painting.about.com/od/product...t_and_Fear.htm here is some more on Art & Fear by the way. I kind of take it like in the sense you would with a "Bible" it's a way to look at it when you feel your faith in art is questioned.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Combine the two styles. Fuck whatever those at DeviantArt say and hell, even those here. If you're not doing art for yourself, then who are you doing it for?

I'm realizing this more and more as I examine my behavior at school (where I feel largely friendless and kind of isolated): you get the community you want if and only if you make it yourself. Accept responsibility for what you want and make it happen. You're not a casualty of artistic snobbery on ConceptArt, and you're not a victim of anime stink. If you're proud of your roots, by all means, be proud. There's nothing wrong with that. Ultimately, you'll garner more legitimate respect from doing what you want as an artist than catering to the fickle desires of an online art community. That's important, and I'm sure you know that. Just be true to yourself and respect your needs and those of your family.

I don't know what site to go for information either; I'm not really interested in zombies and aliens, but all art is fundamentally the same, and in order to really be a master in whatever field you do, I feel you should be educated in a myriad of things. Stay here and we'll grow together.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pretentieuse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    You don't necessarily have to do the big contests on the site. Try doing a DSG. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

http://painting.about.com/od/product...t_and_Fear.htm here is some more on Art & Fear by the way. I kind of take it like in the sense you would with a "Bible" it's a way to look at it when you feel your faith in art is questioned.
    Wow, I started this thread with little expectation of getting much usable feedback and instead I've gotten an outpouring of wisdom, information and encouragement. Hey if your advice is good enough for Elsevilla, its doubly good enough for me. I checked out both links. Looks like the daily sketch group would be good for stretching my creative muscles. I have a hard time producing sketches or unfinished artwork, but maybe thats more what I need right now. Also, you've sold me on art and fear. Next time I get a borders discount cupon, I'll probably pick it up. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by anniebelle View Post
    Combine the two styles. Fuck whatever those at DeviantArt say and hell, even those here. If you're not doing art for yourself, then who are you doing it for?

I'm realizing this more and more as I examine my behavior at school (where I feel largely friendless and kind of isolated): you get the community you want if and only if you make it yourself. Accept responsibility for what you want and make it happen. You're not a casualty of artistic snobbery on ConceptArt, and you're not a victim of anime stink. If you're proud of your roots, by all means, be proud. There's nothing wrong with that. Ultimately, you'll garner more legitimate respect from doing what you want as an artist than catering to the fickle desires of an online art community. That's important, and I'm sure you know that. Just be true to yourself and respect your needs and those of your family.

I don't know what site to go for information either; I'm not really interested in zombies and aliens, but all art is fundamentally the same, and in order to really be a master in whatever field you do, I feel you should be educated in a myriad of things. Stay here and we'll grow together.
    Your post damn near brought a tear to my eye. Thats EXACTLY what I needed to hear. Not only have you made me feel welcome here, but you've reinforced my desire to persue the art that I want to create. Thank you very much. You should be a motivational speaker.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.