Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts

Craig Venter creates synthetic life form

Craig Venter and his team have built the genome of a bacterium from scratch and incorporated it into a cell to make what they call the world's first synthetic life form.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...etic-life-form

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    saweet

another bitch slap to the idea of god xD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Gah, u beat me to posting it. I saw it on the starcraft 2 beta forums.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hunchback View Post
    saweet

Exactly how is this a relevant statement? Biology turned a corner and you muster a "take that your religious folk! I shall use this to insult your god/imaginary friend I don't believe in but believe enough to throw an insult"?

I would be more concerned about the commercialization of this new development... because that's the best way to handle 'build-a-lifeform' and in no way will be rife with abuse.

churn out biofuels, soak up carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and even manufacture vaccines.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modi123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    $40 million. 20 scientists. 10 years. I'll let this change my life once they've done something practical with it.
    "A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

Thanks
    How I understand it, he didn't 100% make the creature from scratch (at least how I interpreted the title at first). He uploaded custom DNA (that part made from scratch) into an existing cell, reprogramming it.

The resulting creature never existed before, so yes they did create a new life form.

What does theism have to do with all of this, though?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pariano View Post
    $40 million. 20 scientists. 10 years. I'll let this change my life once they've done something practical with it.
    "Huge breakthrough in biology could lead to evolving vaccines, the elimination of excess greenhouse gasses and the clean up of oil spills!"

"But how much did it cost?"
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    COULD lead. You're going to believe everything the article says? They made bacteria, now they can make it do anything. If they wanted to, they could inject a conscious into it and make it travel through space and communicate with aliens; surely.
    "A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

Thanks
    Bottom line, it's awesome. One step closer to riding giant rhino beetles instead of cars, and using masses of laughing amoebae to fight our wars.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    COULD lead. You're going to believe everything the article says? They made bacteria, now they can make it do anything. If they wanted to, they could inject a conscious into it and make it travel through space and communicate with aliens; surely.
    Injecting consciousness and making it travel through space must be just as crazy for bacteria as fighting disease. Bacteria battling disease? I don't think so "scientists."
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    2012 here we come

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reymus View Post
    Bottom line, it's awesome. One step closer to riding giant rhino beetles instead of cars, and using masses of laughing amoebae to fight our wars.

Oh man, those are some good COW/CHOW ideas.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    Injecting consciousness and making it travel through space must be just as crazy for bacteria as fighting disease. Bacteria battling disease? I don't think so "scientists."
    The point is they haven't done anything with this yet and until then, it doesn't affect me. It's nice to say that there is the possibility to do all those things but just a possibility isn't that impressive. Beautiful pieces of art have been done in charcoal, but does charcoal honestly impress you by it's very presence?
    [[Sketchbook]]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 401 Posts
    I wonder...if any DNA string could be injected into a blank, living cell...how about some cloning? And this time we wouldn`t need a "living" specimen, just a string of DNA data...Wolly mammoths, Dodo birds..errrm...T - Rex...O.o

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The point is they haven't done anything with this yet and until then, it doesn't affect me. It's nice to say that there is the possibility to do all those things but just a possibility isn't that impressive. Beautiful pieces of art have been done in charcoal, but does charcoal honestly impress you by it's very presence?
    Biology doesn't deal in absolutes, unlike those Sith bastards. Not because they want your money or because they don't know what they're doing, but because saying "This will happen" is inaccurate. And if the morally outraged ever stamped out the program, it wouldn't happen either. And in your analogy the artwork is creating the bacteria and the charcoal is science. Yes, science honestly impresses me.

Thanks

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The other side of the coin is you end up with someone accidentally making super aids and wiping everyone out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFreeze View Post
    The other side of the coin is you end up with someone accidentally making super aids and wiping everyone out.
    I'm with you on this but 'accidentally'? Just like the H-bomb huh? I guess they were aiming for a better version of the microwave oven and not a
    devastating mass destruction device.

Still, such things are a breakthrough...too bad they are always used to oppress, control and wage wars.

Pariano: Just because this thing isn't close to you yet as a practicality, doesn't mean it doesn't affect you. That attitude is akin to ignoring that huge
    truck speeding your way at 80 Mph till it's 2 feet away from turning you into Florida, flat and wide.
    "Don't judge a book by it's cover" Frank Frazetta 1928-2010
    RIP Frank.

DA gallery http://michaelsyrigos.deviantart.com/gallery/

CA Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131601

Thanks
    I dont know if its also stated in this article but he signed already a contract with a fuel company. so i think this foreshadows where the whole artifical life story is heading...

anyway its still interresting, i hope someday they will be able to create whole cells artifically. this would be a real breakthrough

saweet

this could also support the idea that life is artifical, thus created by a entety called god (but i highly doubt that)

cant wait for domestic dinosaurs :3
    "It's a time machine, Napoleon. We bought it online."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    Topic 1
    I was a biotech scientist in the early nineties. Even then we could take a specific gene and insert it into a cell and make it do what we want when we wanted. Since I was in technical development, the "make it do" part was what I did rather than the "insert the gene" part. This development, from the "insert the gene" part makes the sky the limit on the "make it do" part. All we have to do is take the genome from an extremophile adapted to live in the La Brea tar pits and toss in some genes that will program this thing to fix carbon and fall to the bottom and we have an organism that will clean up crap like the BP oil spill without furthering global warming. It's doable and it's powerful.

Topic 2J. Craig Venter is a former high level government wonk and his idea of making a profit is is making some kind of a deal-io, like a grant or something. In the early nineties he was copying up pieces of the human genome like somebody pirating domain names. The real technological breakthroughs were being made by people who actually understood the workings of the private sector. The barrier between this accomplishment and "results" is not driven by the technology. It is driven by personality, vision, daring, of which I am not sure J. Craig Venter has sufficient quantities.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    title is misleading. He "created" life in the same manner a photocopying machine "created" a photo.

dont expect your own human created pet any time soon.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zwarrior View Post

dont expect your own human created pet any time soon.
    But I really want a Pikachu...

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex Chow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    fantastic news. I really do expect this to have a game-changing impact on the human race - and indeed the planet - within our lifetimes. Very exciting, very excited.
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Chow View Post
    But I really want a Pikachu...
    It`s all lies and propaganda - you DON`T have to catch them all!

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    this could also support the idea that life is artifical, thus created by a entety called god (but i highly doubt that)
    Which in turn would mean god doesn't have to be any more complex than your average scientist to create life, which kinda eliminates the need to call him a god. Maybe he was just a lab assistant who got bored one day...

Cool break through in any case. I wonder how long before all travel is made inside big meaty transportation vehicles...
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    COULD lead. You're going to believe everything the article says?
    Well, it's Craig Venter... that guy has accomplished more than I will ever be able to do in my life. I wouldn't doubt that he can achieve whatever he says...
    I mean, he was the first person to ever have his genome sequenced.

Thanks
    He "created" life in the same manner a photocopying machine "created" a photo.

Well, that is essentially the way all life is actually created. All cells make exact copies of themselves or share half copies to form brand new genes.

Remember, we are only in the early stages. This mightn't be a great analogy but I think you could equate it to learning to read and write. We're learning our alphabet and letters (building blocks of DNA) and now we're beginning to put them together to make words (like this bacteria). Someday we'll begin making sentences and expressing thought and ideas and maybe new lifeforms totally unrelated to life on this planet.

To me, I think it's incredibly profound that you can take inanimate groups of atoms and make them come alive and function.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    COULD lead. You're going to believe everything the article says?

I'm guessing with your ideology already know what the glass contains....

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    You'll find that's the way science works. If you were to exclude inventions and discoveries that had a proven immediate benefit you wouldn't be using a computer to broadcast your negativity, you'd be sitting in a hut draped in sackcloth, grinding nuts in a pestle. Assuming you'd even managed to make it to your age without the benefit of modern medicine.

Amazing what waffle people spout.

44. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    *wipes away a single tear*
    I'm sorry... I'm just so happy.

46. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast