Art: Sword Mistress (semi nude)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sword Mistress (semi nude)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sword Mistress (semi nude)

Hi all, been busy this weekend. Some great work on the site. So here's an experiment with layers of hatching, all in photoshop.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow i would go nuts trying to do this, I have no patience, thats why i paint with big blobs rather than try to crooss hatch.

KUDOS

-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work!

I can definitely appreciate the time you've put in on this. The Franklin Booth/Berni Wrightson treatment of the background is especially well done.

My only thought is that you've taken the technique about as far as it can go with a tablet. I'd recommend doing the next one with a *real* brush or pen on *actual paper*-- the actual tools have a sensitivity and "feel" that you just can't duplicate with a stylus. You might want to look at the work of Charles Dana Gibson for inspiration.

GM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Giacomo
    Great work!

I can definitely appreciate the time you've put in on this. The Franklin Booth/Berni Wrightson treatment of the background is especially well done.

My only thought is that you've taken the technique about as far as it can go with a tablet. I'd recommend doing the next one with a *real* brush or pen on *actual paper*-- the actual tools have a sensitivity and "feel" that you just can't duplicate with a stylus. You might want to look at the work of Charles Dana Gibson for inspiration.

GM
    good point, but i dunno Dan Milligan does a pretty fine job at inking digitally.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome work but COUGH COUGH thats some f*ckin hairy feet! cough...err... well done

<- Middel Class Membah!

Memba of teh middel clash!
    planish vectorial output of perspective space underlines the importance of major contrast in structurial synergie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have worked on paper with pen brush etc. example below, but this was an experiment with pre drawn hatches in layers just erasing between them The whole thing took about 3 hours. I do love the old franklin effect tho!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work...the "pre-drawn hatches in layers" is a technique I've used from time to time, especially for backgrounds.

I like the picture of the old man and the ships MUCH better than the swordswoman, for reasons explained in my first post. Even if you're using pre-drawn crosshatching (AKA "DIY Zip-a-tone") on some parts of it, it still shows your sensitivity to the form much mroe clearly than the first drawing you posted.

G

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting, I'd agree about the old sailor it's a far better drawing. But the difference is the old guy was a job and had a story to tell, whereas the girl was was an excuse to doodle. I don't think that Wacoms in any way preclude sensitivity. Check my site www.treeshark.com can you say which were done by hand in trad media?
    See the two below which was the tablet.
    I now prepare to be slain as you all get it right!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks tight.

wow i would go nuts trying to do this, I have no patience, thats why i paint with big blobs rather than try to crooss hatch.
    Funny, I am the opposite, always resort to hatching I hate blobbing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Trick Question

Hmm. Which one was done on a tablet? My guess, after close inspection, is that they BOTH were. Both of them show signs of being reworked digitally... at this resolution, I can't actually tell whether they were begun in ink and scanned, or done entirely on a tablet.

My point is not that one can't do *acceptable* work on a tablet, but that the habits developed in using a tablet aren't really conducive to doing *great* work.

By the way, the picture of the man with the bread knife is GREAT. He's clearly an English country parson out of Fielding or Jane Austen- he has MUCH more subtlety, charm and character than anything else you've posted on this page. I'd love to see more work along these lines.

Regards,

G

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaaaaaargh!! Sound of man falling on wacom pen!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.