SCAD,AAU - MFA (Reviews)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SCAD,AAU - MFA (Reviews)

Hello all,

I would like this to be a little detailed so that I can get some good replies from the great guys down here...

I am about to pursue an MFA (Fall 2010) in Animation. My final options are AAU or SCAD. Have got accepted into both.

My career aims -
    I am not into 3d. 2D and stop-motion is my thing. Pre-production - concept art,concept development, experimental /new media.

Why I would like to pursue an MFA ?

I am from India. Finished my undergraduate course in Communication Design in July 2009. My specialization was Animation. The quality of education I got down at the college was %$@$@$% !! Whatever little knowledge and skills I do have, are very much self-taught.

So i wish to LEARN and BE TAUGHT ahead in areas of basic skill and self-exploration too. I am planning to take some under-grad courses in the place i go, to brush up my drawing skills.

The level of exposure in the USA is definitely more than India.
    I get to be IN the industry.

Now that you have a bit of an idea about my situation i would like to get some views on the following -

1) Which college among the 2 is better suited for me ?

2) Which place would give me a better job opportunity ?

3) And which ones a better place over-all. Stay/Atmosphere/Industry wise ?

A little bit of post script :

I am bent towards SCAD because of a lesser cost and they have given me a 10000$ scholarship. Also Savannah does have the flexibility of taking quite a few courses in my free time.

Also, i know that the answer to the 2nd question depends on me and my work but still, a little push would always help.

I really wish to pursue my dream and i am ready to work my ass off for this. Just don't want to end up making the wrong choice.

Any feedback studies/career/life down there,etc. would be highly appreciated !!

- look at the world with half a glass of hope -

visit again

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm assuming that you're not able to visit either of the schools, right? Because that would be the best way to make a decision. They're both pretty good schools. I am currently attending SCAD, but AAU was one of my "last resort choices" (as in, if I don't get accepted anywhere else, I'm going here). And that is NOT because AAU is bad, it's just because it has 100% acceptance rate. But it would've been very expensive.

Here at SCAD, the animation program does have quite a few 2D and Stop motion classes (there's more 2D than there is Stop Motion, tho), and once you get to your Junior or Senior year you'll just be working in whatever your preference/specialty is.

Both SCAD and AAU have great reputations in the animation world, so job opportunity shouldn't be a problem. But remember, the school you go to barely means anything; it's the work you produce and your work ethic that really matters to employers (I'm sure you know that already, but I'm just restating the information for emphasis!).

Atmosphere... I'm PRETTY sure SCAD is more diverse than AAU is. And most of our international students happen to be either Korean or Indian, so you'll have no trouble finding people to relate to. The American and international students all get along very, very well. It's almost hard to tell who is from where; we're like one big happy family and most people are friendly. Like, walk up to somebody and start talking randomly and everyone is comfortable with it kind of friendly. Safety issues are the same no matter where you go in this world; don't do anything stupid or go out late at night alone in the dark, and you'll be fine. I won't get into residential life or any of that, but if you wanna know, say so.

I hope that helped some!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be honest, if you want to get an MFA, which doesn't mean that much, you might want to consider some other schools such as:

1. School of Visual Arts in NY
    2. Pratt institute in NY
    3. USC in California
    4. NYU CADA program has a masters of science in their school of Continuing and Professioal Studies that has a strong reputation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello kismet, thanks for the information. Yeah you are right, i cant visit the school myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    Here at SCAD, the animation program does have quite a few 2D and Stop motion classes (there's more 2D than there is Stop Motion, tho), and once you get to your Junior or Senior year you'll just be working in whatever your preference/specialty is.
    Also I am doing an MFA. So the junior/senior year thing ? I guess you got confused with a BFA. Or does the MFA also include quite a few 2d classes ? I have gone through their curriculum quite a few times, cant seem to see anything in particular.

Thanks to Taxguy too,

I was hoping for a reply from you = )

Yeah I did check out SVA NY and Pratt before. Their curriculum seems to have more inter-disciplinary/collaborative and explorative courses. I wanted to really go through the basics at first. Thats why AAU and SCAD interested me. Also the cost of living and stuff in NY. Dollars convert to Indian rupees. It was going out of hand.

Also I have been waitlisted by USC for their MFA 2010. I am number 3 on their waitlist. But i guess nobody is dumb enough to cancel their admission from that place. So i guess that is out of the question.

And NYU CADA does look really great. And its a 1 year course isnt it ? Oh well...I am hoping for the best.

Thanks again Taxguy.

edit And NOW, SVA NY looks great too. DAMN !!!

Last edited by scarkid; May 20th, 2010 at 01:02 AM.
    - look at the world with half a glass of hope -

visit again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I'm sorry!!! I thought you said BFA. My bad, sorry, sorry.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.