P.O.W.! Challenge 42--Harpy...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

P.O.W.! Challenge 42--Harpy...

P.O.W.! Challenge 42
    Deadline: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

Topic: Harpy...

Hope this is to every one's tastes...the word Harpy is one of those ancient terms that have grown with society and language to mean a lot of things not meant originally. I suggest Googling the word before you start to get a true description of the classical creature--it's disgusting. Today it means every thing from a bad mother-in-law/wife/GF to sci-fi dragons with boobs. Try to have fun with this one, whether you go classical or off-the-wall...

You can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color. We're also going to stick with the (almost) three-week Challenge period for a while because it seems to be giving people a bit more time to play.

You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO to a TENTATIVE maximum of SIX pages which adhere to standard comic specs as below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want. You can go to additional pages without asking if you have a decent idea that requires it--just don't get too extreme on page counts.

REMEMBER: You don't have to have a complete comic to qualify for polling--if you're idea requires six pages or so, go for it, but if you realize you're running out of time, try to get at least TWO finished by the deadline. That's all you need to qualify.

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

This thread will be the place you ask questions on this challenge, trash talk, post WIPs and post your final art. See the READ THIS FIRST thread for all specs.

Good luck.

Again, this one is three weeks rather than the usual two weeks to see if it will allow more participation or just cause a lot more procrastination.

P.O.W.! Challenge 43 will be posted on Sunday Midnight, June 6, 2010.

A little note here for all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges...thankyewthankyewthankyew...

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally holiday over here so I will probably give it a shot (though I'm not promising anything).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian J For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Might try and see if I can manage one of these between studying. Looks like it'll be a lot of fun : )

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Diantoga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the topic Ilaekae; I've got my Harpy design down... but I need to cement the story.

It looks like a big plus to getting a divorce is all the free time I have to draw. I haven't entered any of the contests lately, but I have started drawing a lot more... we will see what comes of this one!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sundance For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it's been a while since I entered the POW fray...

I'll see if I can fit this one in.

Kieran Madden:Official Site

Click here for my all-new, super-happy DeviantArt page.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kmadden2004 For This Useful Post:

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    this sounds really cool! i just have some questions..

1) is the final image size 6"x9"?
    2) the least amount of pages is 2? (im guessing consecutive?)
    3) is it cool to interpret this topic in any way? as long as it involves harpy in some way?

-well, hopefully this will be ok to do, im planning on creating a few pages surrounding a ninja clan member who has a pet Harpy eagle. this is just gonna be a quick test run for this P.O.W. thing. im pretty excited, seeing as i havent done any sequential art in a while.

heres just some quick warm up sketches of some Harpy eagles, to get a feel for it.

good luck everyone!! -looking forward to all of your entries!

Last edited by NickyBeats; May 29th, 2010 at 12:52 AM.
    MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some more doodles.. trying to figure out looks for the character. (completely disregard the top face sketches... im gonna take a less cartoony approach to the final lines.)

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anyone else still in this challenge?

ive been trying to bang out some thumbs, and quick layouts in pen. i think i may end up with 6 pages plus a cover, or maybe 6 alltogether, well see. ill try to keep it short and sweet.

sooo, yea! heres what ive been up to...

i forgot, in this last thumbnail, with the yamabushi in front of the moon, his pet eagle is also supposed to have landed on his shoulder, like in the smaller thumbnail. ill put it in later.

also, any crits, or feedback would be cool, thanks!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NickyBeats Yeah, don't worry, I'm working on something for this challenge. I'm just holding off posting anything until I've got all my pages finished.

Looks like you've got some pretty good work going on there, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick question; let's say, for the sake of argument, somebody here wanted to do a double page splash panel, is it okay to count those two pages as just one for the purposes of the challenge?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nickybeats wow those sketches are looking pretty awesome! Can't wait to see it all finished : )

I'm going for a more cartoon/comic strip kinda vibe with mine, just need to find some time to actually start it but I only got the first page sorted. Might try and sort something tonight/tomorrow hopefully

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Diantoga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Diantoga - hey, thanks man!

Kmadden2004 - thanks! -as for your question, im not sure, but he did say that you could go over the 6 page limit by one or possibly 2 i think, so it should be fine to count those as one page. (but im not 100% sure)

-----------------------

heres the linework for pg 1.

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NickyBates: Thanks, man, I think I might just play this one by ear.

Here's a little sneak peak of what I'm working on;

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kmadden2004 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kmadden2004 - thats looking awesome so far man! -reminds me of the dark tower books.

heres a possible cover, maybe.

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

21. The Following User Says Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    finally managed to find time to start!
    here's a wip, obviously I'll ink it over and resize, but it's the first 6 panels : )
    [the lines in the middle two panels are speed lines, and the lines on the 3rd panel are just guidelines which of course'll be erased eventually.]

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You guys do some excellent work.... I never tried panels before, I'm gonna give it a try.
    It's only 2 pages long, it was fun to do and more work than I thought lol...

Here's a very small preview, called Harpy's Tree.

Last edited by Chuckcamo; June 1st, 2010 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff from everyone so far

Here are my first two pages

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry guys, not gonna' make this one owing to the fact that my harpy design is crap. I came into this challenge a little late when I really needed to give myself another week to sharpen up the designs a little bit before attempting the final product.

In the end, I'm just really not happy with what the final product would end up looking like. Sorry all, I feel I've let the side down.

I'll try to make a better attempt with the next challenge (providing the subject is interesting, of course)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My 1st attempt at panels....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ack, theres no way I'm gonna have time to do anything more to my comic by the end of today, especially since I've got a maths exam tomorrow and I doubt I'll have any spare time soon to complete it D:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Two more pages

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A strong start from NickyBeats, and some other worthy attempts, but I think my vote will go to tobbA for sticking with it and telling a story. I like the harpy design too, with the hawk pants.

Swim, fly, draw.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Waterbird For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm back...sort of...

My sincere apologies for being AWOL, but it couldn't be helped. I seem to be at a point in my life when I need reminded I'm no longer 17 years old.

About a year ago, i lost a fight with a tree that threw me 40 feet across my neighbor's yard after it collapsed while i was cutting it and spun like a top, catching my right arm in the process. Before it completely healed, the bad snow this winter forced me into some major repairs and removal of another seven huge trees from my property that were endangering the house. This is when I discovered that you can't normally pick up an 1,800-pound tree trunk and move it someplace else. Three weeks later, my little sister ran into some problems that required hauling about 3 tons of crap around inside my hospitalized brother's house. At this point, the pain was permanent and i could no longer hold anything above the weight of a piece of paper.

(Anyone who laughs after reading this next paragraph is going to die...slowly...) By now I'm a bit pissed off in general all the time because I still have repairs to the house to make, have a permanent case of the shakes, so I figured I'd relax in a locked bathroom for a few minutes. Getting myself prepared for further painful construction, and nonchalantly grabbing some toilet paper, I reached back... and proceeded to rip what remained of my tendons/ligaments in my right shoulder to shredded paper. The pain was excruciating, and it still hasn't healed enough for me to reliably hold anything. Apparently...shit really does happen...over and over and over..

I am now wearing a shoulder brace, an elbow brace, a wrist brace, an ankle brace, and a look that can kill at fifty feet. I'm told this will continue for another 2-3 months at minimum, so...

For now:

I can't draw or paint.

I can't type easily (this is being typed while my arm is braced on a stool so I can reach the keyboard)

It takes me an hour+ to do anything on the computer that would normally be done in one minute.

I still have three...THREE!!!...ongoing court fights going on over my brother's health care payments, and an additional one over my nephew's care (he has mid-stage MS)

Basically...I'm useless for a while...

So...

In the next day or so, I will post the two polls that are long overdue, and then POW! will take a short holiday until I can get physically back to speed. I won't allow POW! to die--it will be back as soon as i can pull it off. And I'd like to thank everyone of you who have been involved, especially since the beginnings. You all did good...and there will be a chance soon to do even better. Thank you.

I'm also going to post this in the lounge as part of a general alert on POW!

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck Ilaekae, sorry to hear about all the misfortunes.

I'm excited for POW's glorious return.

Take it easy friend, see you when things have turned around a bit!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    I'm back...sort of...

My sincere apologies for being AWOL, but it couldn't be helped. I seem to be at a point in my life when I need reminded I'm no longer 17 years old.

About a year ago, i lost a fight with a tree that threw me 40 feet across my neighbor's yard after it collapsed while i was cutting it and spun like a top, catching my right arm in the process. Before it completely healed, the bad snow this winter forced me into some major repairs and removal of another seven huge trees from my property that were endangering the house. This is when I discovered that you can't normally pick up an 1,800-pound tree trunk and move it someplace else. Three weeks later, my little sister ran into some problems that required hauling about 3 tons of crap around inside my hospitalized brother's house. At this point, the pain was permanent and i could no longer hold anything above the weight of a piece of paper.

(Anyone who laughs after reading this next paragraph is going to die...slowly...) By now I'm a bit pissed off in general all the time because I still have repairs to the house to make, have a permanent case of the shakes, so I figured I'd relax in a locked bathroom for a few minutes. Getting myself prepared for further painful construction, and nonchalantly grabbing some toilet paper, I reached back... and proceeded to rip what remained of my tendons/ligaments in my right shoulder to shredded paper. The pain was excruciating, and it still hasn't healed enough for me to reliably hold anything. Apparently...shit really does happen...over and over and over..

I am now wearing a shoulder brace, an elbow brace, a wrist brace, an ankle brace, and a look that can kill at fifty feet. I'm told this will continue for another 2-3 months at minimum, so...

For now:

I can't draw or paint.

I can't type easily (this is being typed while my arm is braced on a stool so I can reach the keyboard)

It takes me an hour+ to do anything on the computer that would normally be done in one minute.

I still have three...THREE!!!...ongoing court fights going on over my brother's health care payments, and an additional one over my nephew's care (he has mid-stage MS)

Basically...I'm useless for a while...

So...

In the next day or so, I will post the two polls that are long overdue, and then POW! will take a short holiday until I can get physically back to speed. I won't allow POW! to die--it will be back as soon as i can pull it off. And I'd like to thank everyone of you who have been involved, especially since the beginnings. You all did good...and there will be a chance soon to do even better. Thank you.

I'm also going to post this in the lounge as part of a general alert on POW!
    Damn, bad luck man.

Hope you recover soon.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    I'm back...sort of...

It seems you're on a very wild ride... I've had times like that too, nothing one cans do but ride it through... maybe soon you will find something new that brings your spirit up. Good Luck and get well Ilaekae!

For a bit there, I thought my silly panel was the cause of thread inactivity

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there is time to work in this challege number 42? Deadline was 6 june isn't it?
    or i better wait for next challege number 43?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude ! care bears unite!!!!!!!

Last edited by j.s. sabastian; July 22nd, 2010 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketches. I know my story is weak.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to tmyohlaing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started well... went to crap. about 80% of this was drawn on the iPad, including initial colors and inking, using the SketchbookPro app.

-Deuce

Deuce.Rok

The Gallery
    My Gallery on CA

The SketchBook
    My Sketchbook on CA

Members who have read this thread: 1