Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

The Violence in Thailand

Hello everyone.

I'm sure most of you have heard about and been following the violence that's going on in Thailand right now. I'm here to ask if any of the members who live in Thailand can shed a little first-hand light on the situation, both in Bangkok and in other areas.

There are two reasons why I ask.

The first of which being that I have a loved on here in China that is traveling to Phuket and I'm a little concerned about that considering the amount of news coming out of Bangkok, and a quick google search didn't turn up any pertinent results about if anything has been going on in Phuket. Could some of our Thai members comment on that?

The second is that the story seems to be a bit skewed in the media here, most of my students knew very little about what's going on in Thailand regarding the Red Shirts and their cause and during our discussion of the issue this weekend I mentioned reading that Red Shirt leaders from other provinces are pledging to send reinforcements to assist those in Bangkok, so we all wanted to know if there have been any spats outside of Bangkok as well?
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The western media has really been lax with coverage on this, there have been more '"specials", reports and debate over on that stupid Arizona law than I've heard of the Thailand situation.

The one report I did see today said something like 300-350 civilians were killed by government troops.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't know, reuters and cnn have had a lot of coverage of the events in bangkok, but the problem is they are reporting almost exclusively about what's going on in Bangkok and not what's going on outside the city. I am also concerned about Bangkok airport since that's where the person I mentioned in my last post is transferring planes to her final destination in Phuket.
    page 2

Thanks
    The last thing I heard was that they are allowing women and children to leave the areas. Sorry, that was a few days ago.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    I am based in Bangkok...

The situation isn't very nice here atm... Luckily i live far from where the red shirts are stationed.
    Redshirts were declared as Terrorists asthis no longer is a demonstration.
    In the last 2 days they burned a Bank, robbed some shops, 20-30 people died within the last 2 days.
    Someone my GF knows got shot in his shoulder in his condominium, because someone was firering at
    the building, his cousin ws shot too and died.
    I am not sure how many hundreds of people were injured in the past events but the news look horrible.
    I can not believe my eyes when i see the places i used to go shopping on tv, full of smoke, blood on the streets...

Right now people try to evacuate the woman and children from the area where the red shirts are camping.
    People who live in that place are having difficulties getting food supplies as everything is sold out and the
    shops are not able to restock.

I hope the situation can be resolved somehow and does not escalate any more...
    Where i reside it is quiet, i have not seen any trouble here but right around the corner are all the new government buildings, main police presidium and so on... i pray that the trouble will not spread to this area...

I will not leave Thailand as we have Pets here, i could not bear to leave them behind.
    If things get bad i will see what to do... Maybe relocate to some small town on the countryside til things are quiet or move to some nearby country where i can take my cats with me.

The Violence in Thailand
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the info Randis. I have to say that here wasn't a lot of coverage in the media either
    気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    I'm Thai.

At the moment (15.00 - 17 May), the government has issued order for anyone who 'has nothing to do with the violence' in the area to evacuate out (protesters or not) and they arrange vehicle to send them home (most of this red shirts are from other provinces). Also they warned the news reporter to stay away from the area as well. So I guessed things should settle down very soon, one way or another.

I don't know how you guys herd the news but 300 were killed by government is very inaccurate. The number should be around 230+ injured (death is 35). Total number of death and injured from the last several days is about 270+.

And some additional info about the red shirts:

- beside from attack the medic, injured soldiers (who was in ambulance on their way to hospitals), invade the hospital (which cause them to evacuate all patient from hospital the day after) burn public properties, burn buses etc. There are also reports that they destroyed ATM machine and banks, rob the shops as well.

- Yesterday the red shirts announce something interesting. They asked the news reporter to stay with them 'for the sake of their(red shirts) safety' not only that but also someone asked women and children (the red shirts) why they still did not leave the area, they say that the red shirt guards told them they 'have a high chance to got shot down' if they leave (while the government actually announce that they want everyone to evacuate the area)... the word 'human shield' really comes to mind. Don't you think?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZeonmkII For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This sounds really horrible. I was going to go over for 3 months to go see my mother's side of the family before a wedding.

I guess I better not go...now I'm even more worried about my family over there.

Thanks
    What is this violence all about? Why are they doing this?

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Thanks for the updates guys.

Randis, blow the dust off that camera and get out there

Thanks
    This information is interesting, but can anyone shed any light on what's happening outside of Bangkok?
    page 2

Thanks
    Difficult to tell, Sepulverture.

Let me tell what I've seen during my stay there (more than a month, was there when Bangkok situation escalated in April). Outside Bangkok I didn't notice anything. Sure, I've watched the news on TV so I knew what was going on.
    I've seen one demonstration during the end of my stay but other than that not much. Somewhat tightened security around Bangkok area. Hearing 'rumours'.
    There were bomb attacks on power stations, one or two on banks, one RPG on petrol deposit.

To put things in perspective.
    Let's put this in London, smaller than Bangkok I'd say. And protesters are located at the Tower Bridge area. How much would you notice of those events when staying at Kings Cross? Greenwich?
    Now we go to Leeds, less far from London as Bangkok is from Phuket. How much would you notice?

The chance of me being run over by a car on my daily trip between home and work is far higher as being killed by a bullet in Thailand.
    Even the risk of being attacked on the road there was probably higher as getting shot (we travelled at dark some days and rural Thailand is .... not always safe for farang...).
    When we flew back our main worry was the volcano near Iceland, not the situation in Bangkok.

That's my experience, but since then the situation in Thailand might have changed.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to the_jos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeonmkII View Post

- Yesterday the red shirts announce something interesting. They asked the news reporter to stay with them 'for the sake of their(red shirts) safety' not only that but also someone asked women and children (the red shirts) why they still did not leave the area, they say that the red shirt guards told them they 'have a high chance to got shot down' if they leave (while the government actually announce that they want everyone to evacuate the area)... the word 'human shield' really comes to mind. Don't you think?
    They (the Red Shirts) may genuinely be concerned that the governments order to evacuate may simply be to thin out their numbers, and once women and children are gone that the government may just roll in soldiers to cleanse them.
    page 2

Thanks
    Stay safe everyone

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by the_jos View Post
    Difficult to tell, Sepulverture.

Let me tell what I've seen during my stay there (more than a month, was there when Bangkok situation escalated in April). Outside Bangkok I didn't notice anything. Sure, I've watched the news on TV so I knew what was going on.
    I've seen one demonstration during the end of my stay but other than that not much. Somewhat tightened security around Bangkok area. Hearing 'rumours'.
    There were bomb attacks on power stations, one or two on banks, one RPG on petrol deposit.

To put things in perspective.
    Let's put this in London, smaller than Bangkok I'd say. And protesters are located at the Tower Bridge area. How much would you notice of those events when staying at Kings Cross? Greenwich?
    Now we go to Leeds, less far from London as Bangkok is from Phuket. How much would you notice?

The chance of me being run over by a car on my daily trip between home and work is far higher as being killed by a bullet in Thailand.
    Even the risk of being attacked on the road there was probably higher as getting shot (we travelled at dark some days and rural Thailand is .... not always safe for farang...).
    When we flew back our main worry was the volcano near Iceland, not the situation in Bangkok.

That's my experience, but since then the situation in Thailand might have changed.
    Thanks a lot for this information. It's pretty reassuring even if it may not be quite up to date.
    page 2

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeonmkII View Post
    I'm Thai.

And some additional info about the red shirts:

- beside from attack the medic, injured soldiers (who was in ambulance on their way to hospitals), invade the hospital (which cause them to evacuate all patient from hospital the day after) burn public properties, burn buses etc. There are also reports that they destroyed ATM machine and banks, rob the shops as well.

Dang, I haven't followed it lately, but I remember news reports from when it was relatively peaceful...red shirts helping police who had fallen, red shirt "medics" helping injured soldiers, etc.

I also remember when violence started getting a bit more serious...I think I was watching CBC--there were bullet holes covering vehicles, blood on the seat, protestors fleeing, and protestors who had been presumably shot getting driven away by friends...and at the end, the reporter mentioned that the only casualty on the army's side had been a soldier shot in the head by friendly fire.

I don't know enough about the political situation in Thailand to pass judgement on the validity of the protests, but it usually takes something fairly serious to get citizens with families to support to go up against police/armies wielding guns (not just a club or two).

So what happened?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oni Rem View Post
    What is this violence all about? Why are they doing this?
    The Red Shirts are mostly urban and rural poor, rebelling against a political structure that traditionally favored the rich and the military-backed political elite. The Reds are bankrolled by former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a 2006 coup by the military and lives in exile.

Two subsequent pro-Thaksin governments were removed by court decisions, and Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva came to power in December 2008 without winning an election after being chosen by lawmakers. The turmoil continued as Thaksin roused his supporters with speeches delivered live by video link.

Thaksin, a telecommunications billionaire, was criticized as corrupt, but his populist policies made him into a Robin Hood-style figure for many of Thailand's poor.

Abhisit says he is willing to hold elections in November and talk to the Red Shirts - if they stop the street violence and end their protest, which began two months ago. The Red Shirts say they will stop the violence if the troops withdraw.
    -Associated Press

This is the most recent news i've heard.
    May 18, 3:20 PM EDT
    Thailand says crackdown will last entire day

BANGKOK (AP) -- The Thai government says an operation launched at daybreak to clear protesters from their barricaded encampment in downtown Bangkok will last throughout the day.

Government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn says Wednesday's operation is designed "to secure the parameter in several locations in Bangkok."

Panitan appeared on television several hours after the crackdown started.

Armored vehicles and soldiers converged on the protest encampment and have broken through a section of tire-and-bamboo barricade. Continuous gunfire is being heard from the area.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to karma militia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some of you may know it, some maybe not.
    I am currently residing in Bangkok/Thailand.

As you have probably seen on the news, the situation here is pretty bad.
    Many people were killed in the past events and many hundreds were injured.
    Today The protesters started setting various buildings on fire. As i write this text the gigantic shopping Mall
    Central World is burning, 5 city halls in other cities were burned down, power stations, various smaller building , a metro station was burned down, 2 classic theaters in Siam are in ashes...
    Many shops and ATMs were robbed, the people in the dead zone are running low on food supplies.
    Some of the redshirts are using the presence of kids and females as a human shield, making it hard for the military to act.

Watching the news i hardly can believe that this is happening right around me...
    Places i used to go shopping and hang out are burning up on the TV screen, crazy...

The situation is rather unpredictable, hard to tell what could happen next.

If it were not for my pets i would be sitting in Berlin now with my GF but we can not abandon them so for now we stay in here and pray for a quick end of this horrible mess.
    We can not go out, everyone was placed under curfew starting from 8 in the evening.
    Bus transportation stopped, Metro and sky train too.
    We have charged our flashlights, there is a chance that the power may go down any time.

In case of a power down i will not be able to be online

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand
    - - - - - - - - - -

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i used to eat here...

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand
    - - - - - - - - - -

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    This makes me very sad. I love BKK and the peaceful city is no longer. I hope that all will settle soon as it is a wonderful place.

Randis, and the others there too, please be safe.

j

Thanks
    Oh my god... D: Seems like it gets worse and worse. Randis and others, hope you guys are safe.
    Last edited by Monkabit; May 19th, 2010 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks
    Holy cow... I had no idea it had gotten so bad. This isn't really being covered very much in Canada. Most of the new sources I've seen are from the UK and the US covering it.

Randis and everyone else there, I hope you're ok. Stay safe and stay as far away as you can.

Thanks
    Some recent shots

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand

The Violence in Thailand
    - - - - - - - - - -

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Whoa, this is really terrible ... hope you & yours stay safe...
    Arish in the Mirror - Self-Portrait page

Sketchbook

Thanks
    I haven't seen any news in the US about this...I'll have to take a look. I've been getting sources from Internet articles, here, and some youtube videos.

Thanks
    According to the sources Bangok had fires in 27 locations yesterday.
    There were fires on other cities too.
    Some of the fires could not be put out because the red shirts were shooting at the people...
    The damages will be sky rocket high....
    You see, the Central world shopping mall, the one you see burning on the pics is the largest shopping mall in BKK and the 3th largest in whole asia.
    It is HUGE and has 8 or 9 floors, each floor containing hundreds of shops, restaurants...
    The mall is connected to various other building, a large hotel.
    It makes no sense at all, and this makes me so angry...
    Those buildings are no government property, burning and robbing the shops they hurt the general population, they also do the great harm to the economy, import and export business and of course the tourism...
    This people are out of control and out of their mind.

Such situations create a horrible circle of chaos. When people are camping out in some area, after a while they naturally run out of resources, food and means to get food as they do not work. They start robbing and stealing. Robbing and stealing results in more violence and is often followed by vandalism,
    as there are always people who got nothing to loose, people who feel like getting away unpunished with whatever they do, people who simply follow others, those who size he opportunity to enrich themselves by robbing and stealing. The other party of course has to react and the more horrible the acts the harder it gets to negotiate.
    Not saying that any of the parties has a perfectly white shirt, still the demands of the redshirts are beyond reason. Reinstating someone who brought as much corruption to this country and enriched himself beyond fitting words of description is plain crazy but you have to understand that this thought is for some part of the population rather appealing. Because despite the bad side there were some good sides too, for example: more benefits for people with low incomes, better chances to make some cash, harder punishment for drug dealers and other crimes just to name a couple of the things.
    I hope for some quick solution.
    - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks
    Stay out of the crossfire Randis, this situation should sort itself out relatively quickly. I would recommend finding a friend or relative (or relative of a friend) to stay with somewhere out of the hot zone.

To be honest I am far more concerned about the situation in Korea. It seems the north and south are not too far from declaring war on eachother. The result of which would be little more than pointless slaughter on a colossal scale.

Thanks
    Randis,

While it saddens me that things develop this way it does make sense to me.
    During my stay in Thailand I kept my ears open and listened to the people.
    Not those on tv but the average person on the street. Why they supported or rejected the sii deang movement. What was going on according to them.

The situation is too complicated to put in a short post on the internet. We see the outcome, the result of something that's been boiling for years. With many different motivations.

I hope things settle soon, I have family there...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    Randis Thanks very much for giving your account of this, there is nothing on the BBC news front page it seems it's already been relegated as yesterdays news.

Hope it does get resolved soon, stay safe.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 401 Posts
    Well, if my research on the subject is correct, this is what`s going on -

in 2006, the prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, a wealthy business man (actually, one of the richest people in Thailand who started his career in the police, and ended up owning Manchester City Football Club, a telecom company etc..), and also a founder of populist Thai Rak Thai (TRT) party, was forced to leave the country after a military coup, and was trialed in absence for conflict of interest(amongst other things). He currently resides in Monte Negro, where he was given citizenship.
    Fast forward to 2010 - current prime minister is Abhisit Vejjajive, a democrat who accused Shinawatra of trying to overthrow the monarch and establish a republic (which is why he boycotted the 2006 elections). In March this year about 100 000 people began with peaceful protests to bring back Shinawatra, which is understandable - most of the protesters are peasants, working people, everyday Joes and Janes who believe Shinawatra did good for them (and that is true in a way - during his reign he established village-managed micro-credit development funds, increased income growth in rural areas up to 46%, and payment of Thai debts almost 2 years ahead of schedule), but as it always is - it dosen`t take much for violence to escalate. Especially with so many people on the streets. It is believed that Shinawatra himself organized these protests, in hope that "his" people will manage to form some sort of protection for him when he gets back (if he does that now, it`s a one-way jail ticket), and young Vejjajive is not going to let that happen. Even if it means using excessive force. So, to put it simply - this is all a battle of big capital and politics, and has NOTHING to do with those poor people dying on the streets. A lot is happening beyond the scenes. And by the time we find out what - it might be too late.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast