IDW # 128: Concept Bike 2017 - Voting

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW!

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • lkjhgfdsa

8 21.62%
  • Sholly

0 0%
  • Benza

1 2.70%
  • evamonkeyn2

24 64.86%
  • cjuzzz

2 5.41%
  • Truepinkas

1 2.70%
  • Achim

1 2.70%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW # 128: Concept Bike 2017 - Voting

IDW #128 Topic: Concept Bike 2017

Deadline for voting: Sunday, May 23

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #128: Concept Bike 2017

Name:  IDW logo poll smaller.JPG
Views: 2149
Size:  7.5 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; May 16th, 2010 at 09:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lkjhgfdsa
    2017 concept roadbike
    HydroGen-794

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by lkjhgfdsa; May 14th, 2010 at 09:32 PM.
    The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cocoon - Recumbent Motorcycle Concept

Name:  cocoon.jpg
Views: 2818
Size:  214.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A late entry, Double electric engines placed directly at the rims, A hybrid engine that generate electric for more efficency

IDW # 128: Concept Bike 2017 - Voting

A wandering mind is more likely to find new places

www.fotograferat.se

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An urban future motorcycle concept aimed at young professionals seeking a greener cheaper alternative to a car, but without the stereotypical biker image. The urbans electric motors deliver acceleration and steering and are controlled via torque sensitive gloves. The displays are totally mounted within the driver helmet, and together with the gloves contain the biometric sensors which allow the vehicle to function as a secure keyless device. Charging is accomplished via the charge dock, placed for stylistic reasons to emulate the traditional fuel tank cap on petrol bike models.

For some reason when i went to post this other people's attached images were not showing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's my entry
    wanted to concentrate on the render more but still ran out of time...first time rendering anything like this...didn't even really know how to start but twas a good learning experience

good luck guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great topic!

Edit: removed external link to Photobucket.

Last edited by Truepinkas; May 16th, 2010 at 11:42 AM.
    "...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I noticed the new topic just yesterday and since Windows 7 doesn't like my Intous 1, here is my result in all it's analog and mouse-painted glory. I've used photo elements for wheels and steering parts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some small notes on this round:

Not much to say really, I was hoping a few of the WIPs in the original thread would make it to the finals but alas! There's always next time

Please leave a crit or comment when you vote, it's much appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Evamonkey got my vote this round, a reasonable system för turning though not sure about the comfort when sitting on it, since the "tank" bulge outwards and could maby be a bit in the way for knees giving an akward sitting position but then again since we didnt get to see the charater sitting mounted on the bike maby it is supposed to have a diffrent sittning position., but otherwise nice rendered with a clear concept.

lkjhgfdsa. You rendered the machine great with good detaling, not sure about the size though, it is one huge machine.

Sholly. Seeing the rider positioned inside the machine would make it look lsomething like driving a bathtub, it´s hard to figure out quite how it would work.

Benza, Yep its not rendered to the standard I would like it too be, but I hope Im getting closer and closer. Played it a bit safe I guess, and also could have shaped out the details better.

cjuzzz, I can´t help but thinking of a designerbike that was made in plastic in 80' or 90's, it also had these strong geometrical shapes. also on my screen it looked a little like an impossible drawing at the back, where the rear swingarm floates together with the background just infront of the backwheel. Think u rendered most of the shapes very well, but it seems a bit flat at the top.

Truepinkas, it has a very organic and muscluar feel to it, think u rendered it out very nice. just having a hard time with the bike being so front heavy in the design.

Achim, The first thing that struck me was that the rear spring seems to enter in to the rubber of the backwheel, making a bit hard to se how it would function. the second thing is the lack of foot support, may seem like a minor detail, but when riding the bike u sure would miss them if they werent there. U rendered the shapes well..

As allways theese are just my opinions and if u think otherwise than your idea is worth just as much as mine..
    Now, onward for the next topic...

A wandering mind is more likely to find new places

www.fotograferat.se

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benza For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 714 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good works here
    It was a pity I hadn´t enough time for finish my piece.. I wasn´t happy with the result and need to study the design a bit more.
    I was between Achim and evamonkeyn, finally voted evamonkeyn cause the design is very clean, fresh and original. Maybe don´t seems very powerful and i´m missing the guy driving the machine to see how it fits with the human figure.
    Achim is my second favourite cause is very logical and attractive, its line is convincent and very close to what could be driven from there to seven years.

Last edited by Ricardo Robles; May 18th, 2010 at 04:05 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricardo Robles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lkjhgfdsa

I like the strong incestoid feel i get off this. The layering of the panels and areas of high detail between them strengthen it.
    The lower projection at the bottom reminds me of the set of wings flies evolved into gyro balancers.

Sholly
    Think i said this during topic but it really strikes me as an OCC type bike.I like the consistent use of flaring trumpet like shapes.

Benza
    I really like the detail on the back wheel and the use of the whitewall look tyre and also the overall updated retro look, while still having a clear future slant to it.

Cjuzzz
    I voted for you for a few reasons. I love the super angular look of the bike. In the last few years there has been a push back to
    adding some sharp lines in transport design, and it would be awesome to see it taken to this kind of extreme. Its angularity is very visually dynamic and would set it apart from anything on the road today so as a concept bike i think it would be pretty striking to look at. In summary it has the feeling of something very different but also very possible, which fits the brief pretty tightly.

Truepinkas
    I really like that you showed so many views of the bike, It makes it much easier to get a read on the design as a complex 3d form. I like the lines of back and top view most and the heavy massing of form at the front of the bike and front wheel drive give it a very unusual look.

Achim
    It sucks about the intuos. I'm kind of amazed how great a rendering you were able to achieve with just a mouse. Something about the form of the bike says 'bounding predator' to me. Think it is that upward V shape along the strut to the rear wheel and the panel line that gives it an almost head like form at the front.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to evamonkeyn2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    evamonkeyn2 got my vote. Your rendering is absolutely beautiful and i think the concept and design are great. You lose points for not including a image of a person actually riding the bike, which I suspect might have revealed some slightly less then comfortable human factors but still, a textbook example of product rendering and futuristic vehicular design. A+

I'm sorry I don't have time to add comments for everyone as I am at work right now, but I'll try to add them later.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti Ball For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lkjhgfdsa - I like the rendering. It's a little too car-like, and I don't think it's feasible for 2017, though I do like the design!
    Benza - The color palette is neat. My criticism would be that the design is a little too similar to bikes I've seen, not enough 2017.
    evamonkeyn2 - My vote goes here, as well. I like the clean style you used, I think it works well with the design, especially. I agree that a motorcyclist on the bike would get you more points - but I guess you didn't need them! Oh, most importantly, I think this bike does cover where trends are headed, and is also feasible for 2017.
    cjuzzz - The blocky style is neat and different. I like the coloring, but I think it might need more yellow (farther back on the bike, possibly) to help tie the colors together more.
    Truepinkas - I like the design, but this is another one where I don't think it's feasible for 2017.
    Achim - The shape of it is awesome -- I agree that you did an amazing job on the rendering without a tablet. I like the biker's outfit to go with the bike, but I think having the rider on the bike would help the proportions, as well as positioning on the bike.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sholly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great works from all of you, it's good to see many interpretations!
    my vote went to evamonkeyn2, your bike has a modern line which seems to me a natural following of the present ones, and the simplification of the details has a great appeal. the final presentation is really great too
    @ lkjhgfdsa: great details and mechanical aspect, the rendering is good too, but for me the feeling is a bit too complicated for a production bike of these years.
    @cjuzzz: lovely rendering and very modern shapes... your bike can be good now too, yet has a good lifespan to me hehe
    @Achim: same of cjuzzz, i like the general lines and the overall rendering. it's an appealing vehicle
    @Truepinkas: the "organic" shapes are really cool, as the way you put the importance to the front with a shield for the pilot. non every detail is clear on the views, but great work on showing all around the vehicle
    @ Sholly & Benza: nice idea to go on the "retro" feeling, i tink the slight but efficient modernizations can really work for 7 years ahead

...awww I wish I could render objects like you did... I spent a few hours doing crappy blocks, I guess I have to learn a lot more before trying to enter competitions in which I have to explain visually my works ahaha. I'll try to study my personal stuff for the next IDWs, maybe one day I will enter my final too!

ciaoz!

Woah, I have a site too! (Crappy multilanguage option implemented, and a tad old in the drawing field)

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kerion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lkjhgfdsa: Neat design visually, but it feels like it's either form a post-apocalyptic setting, or from much further than 7 years into the future. From a practical stand point I have some concerns about driver visibility because of how far back they are within the canopy.

Sholly: Very Choppery. I also got the OCC vibe off of it. It has a lot of internal consistency, which is very important in design. From a practical standpoint, you haven't allowed for them to put their leg down to prop the bike up when they come to a complete stop. Unless I'm missing something, they're going to be toppling over at the first stoplight.

Benza: Things do go in cycles, so the retro look might not be that far off. I like the look of the details you started at the rims, but think you could have taken it a bit further still. As a note on the rendering, as clean as the lines are supposed to feel, tome of your marks are a bit too rough feeling for my taste, the wheels for example.

evamonkeyn2: Extremely clean design. I can see something like this becoming very trendy like iPods and iPads and Vespas. I personally don't like that you associated it with a recognizable brand, unless you actually work for VW, there is all kinds of potential for weirdness doing that IMO. From a practical standpoint, anyone who ride this for more than a short distance is going to get very dirty, as there is absolutely no protection from road debris or particles being flung off the tires. Some sort of fenders would go along way in that department.

Cjuzzz: Love the look, but I can't really see how it would look IRL, It's very flat and graphic at this point. Neat look overall though.

Achim: I like it, it looks mean, like it's about to pounce someone. Great rendering for mouse work too. It's not bike related, but the rider's chest seems awfully high on her body.

Great work everyone, this was a good week.

"...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Truepinkas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    XD. That did occur to me pretty close to the end of the challenge but i wanted to avoid fenders if at all possible. Instead, if you look at the rear wheel you will see the suggested solution. That device that wraps around the tyre at the back was meant to act as a brush to knock dirt and excess water off the wheel. The front tyre one would be located where suspension /steering passes the tyre wall. Which was great as it meant i did not have to add any parts at all to the front. I was pretty reluctant to add the device to the back tyre, by i really really wanted to avoid fenders and i could not locate it conveniently for the back wheel like i could for the front. As for whether they tyre brushes would be effective, i highly doubt it. But to my brain fenders on it would have been a visual killer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the feedback. Also thanks a lot to my mysterious voter! You've all made valid points and there are no excuses for me, except laziness It was a nice challenge and I think I will keep drawing motorcycles for while. I'll start giving feedback myself, once I'm more comfortable around here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by evamonkeyn2 View Post
    XD. That did occur to me pretty close to the end of the challenge but i wanted to avoid fenders if at all possible. Instead, if you look at the rear wheel you will see the suggested solution. That device that wraps around the tyre at the back was meant to act as a brush to knock dirt and excess water off the wheel. The front tyre one would be located where suspension /steering passes the tyre wall. Which was great as it meant i did not have to add any parts at all to the front. I was pretty reluctant to add the device to the back tyre, by i really really wanted to avoid fenders and i could not locate it conveniently for the back wheel like i could for the front. As for whether they tyre brushes would be effective, i highly doubt it. But to my brain fenders on it would have been a visual killer.
    I think you made the right call, and I'm glad that it was something on your mind. In the end though we make things look good, it's the engineers that have to 'make it work'

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Truepinkas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been moving about so havent been around. just let me say for this round;.l......daaaaang. I have owned many motorcycles in my time. I would freakin ride, every single one of these. yeah I would.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm liking all the hubless designs, evamonkeyn2's in particular.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.