looking for alternative art laptop
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

looking for alternative art laptop

Hi,

I am looking for an art laptop, but couldn't find any good leads on google. My main criteria is a good display, as I will use it mainly for painting; I will also do recording (with a M-audio Ftp) and the specs should be high enough that programs will run smoothly . (photoshop, zbrush, fruity loops, sonar)

Not interested in macbook pros, everyone has them and they don't run the software I own.
    I'm a real sucker for stylish, sleek design (and no, this still doesn't make me interested in macbooks.) The Vaio Z-series looks pretty good but I don't know about display quality and it might be too expensive. (budget is around $1200)

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to macbook pros (performance-wise) that doesn't look like a carving board from the future? Your input is very much appreciated!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A good, decent sized screen will make for quite a heavy laptop which is something to keep in mind if you're planning on being particularly mobile with it. If it's just gonna sit on your desk maybe just get a desk-top PC, or a good monitor to connect the laptop to.

I have a dell inspiron 17...something and it runs all my software super smoothly and has a very very nice screen which is higher resolution than any of my monitors but it is an absolute animal to transport, so much so that I don't often take it anywhere. Might be worth having a look on dell, they're not exactly what I would call "Stylish and sleek" but you can customise them quite nicely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your reply. I think 15" should be enough, as long as the pictures are crisp and colors vibrant. connecting an external monitor for home usage sounds like a good solution too. the thing is, I'm intending to use it in college, so there's probably a fair amount of traveling. I'm not sure if it's a particularly good idea to buy a desktop pc for the dorm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use a gaming laptop: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/gate...-32822855.html

If you don't have another desktop, I really think this is the way to go, since it's built for graphic performance and they tend to have large screen. It's a little bit heavy, but I used to take it to game development class and it's really not much of a bother.

Mine's a bit on the old side now, but still runs really well next to new models. I'm sure if you look around you can find something around the same price with higher specs. I paid $1200 for it from Best Buy (yeah yeah, not the best place to buy electronics XD).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some more information.. XD

http://computers.toptenreviews.com/g...-1000-2000.htm
    http://www.gateway.com/systems/series/529598133.php

And as for actually purchasing a laptop, I would always recommend Newegg.com if you're buying online.

Here's a bunch in your price range: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...%20-%20%241250

Just make sure and read the reviews before buying.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ENNEX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edit: Oops, sorry for the extra post. >_<;;

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.