Time Spent Working, Breaks, and Attention Span vs Art - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink

I have attention span problems too, but I found a technique that helped me. It's called Pomodoro Technique. From their site:
    1. Choose a task to be accomplished
    2. Set the Pomodoro to 25 minutes (the Pomodoro is the timer)
    3. Work on the task until the Pomodoro rings, then put a check on your sheet of paper
    4. Take a short break (5 minutes is OK)
    5. Every 4 Pomodoros take a longer break
    http://www.pomodorotechnique.com/

I use this free adobe air app to track my time. PomoDo

I thinks it's a very easy and useful technique, specially because you can raise from your chair and walk or stretch out a bit on the break, so you won't be sitting for too long. I usually take more than 4 "pomodos" before the longer break.

sketchbook coming back soon
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuthien For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuthien View Post
    I have attention span problems too, but I found a technique that helped me. It's called Pomodoro Technique. From their site:
    3. Work on the task until the Pomodoro rings, then put a check on your sheet of paper

I thinks it's a very easy and useful technique, specially because you can raise from your chair and walk or stretch out a bit on the break, so you won't be sitting for too long. I usually take more than 4 "pomodos" before the longer break.
    Neat program, thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I struggle with the same problem. I've identified a solution that works for me, but the solution leads to another problem.
    You see, I tend to get very motivated when I'm drunk. Whenever I get a little buzzed after a couple of shots of something, I always pick up my sketch book and start drawing. I have a couple of sketch books filled with crude scribbles of people at parties I've gone to. I can't really get any big projects finished at a party though.
    I need to be able to work alone and free of distractions. I need to drink to get motivated. It's a really bad idea to drink alone though, that's the problem.

I might try out that Pomodoro trick though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to redacted For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Vito View Post
    I struggle with the same problem. I've identified a solution that works for me, but the solution leads to another problem.
    You see, I tend to get very motivated when I'm drunk. Whenever I get a little buzzed after a couple of shots of something, I always pick up my sketch book and start drawing. I have a couple of sketch books filled with crude scribbles of people at parties I've gone to. I can't really get any big projects finished at a party though.
    I need to be able to work alone and free of distractions. I need to drink to get motivated. It's a really bad idea to drink alone though, that's the problem.

I might try out that Pomodoro trick though.
    Post of the month

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Nuthien,

I've been considering looking into this technique and found one book on Amazon. I'm glad you mentioned this book that provides new approaches in the way we work and function in our jobs. That's valuable information and one that should be stickied by CA's moderators.

-A

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthien View Post

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much Nuthien for sharing that technique, I've been using it for a couple of days and it's been a tremendous help! Also I find www.Habitforge.com to be a useful aid as well in trying to develop a habit of drawing, (or any other habits) everyday for a certain amount of time. You basically set a Habit that you want to develop, like drawing for X number of hours per day, and it'll ask you each day by email if you were successful in doing it. According to the site it takes 21 consecutive days of successfully doing your task to form it into a habit, if you failed during your 21 days, the clock would start over and you start again with day 1. I find the added pressure to complete the 21 days to be helpful, and a useful reminder each day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 2