Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts

Last edited by nauvice; May 31st, 2011 at 09:19 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nauvice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Wow, that sucks. What's worse is that you can pretty much guarantee that apple will bring out its own 'new version' of flash, which'll just be pretty much flash with 'curved edges', still copying Adobe though...

Who will be cutting in on who's profits then eh?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    Apple has a napoleon complex. They had their backs against the wall in the 80's and 90's, so they want to turn the tables on developers. They've spent most of their existence being blocked by monopolies, so they're returning the favor. Too bad the supreme court doesn't pay anti trust any mind these days.

One thing that pisses me off is I just found out microsoft chickened out with the courier. It was my only hope. I'm crossing my fingers for Wacom to compete with the iPad.

Thanks
    Apple loves stupid developers
    that don't get approval of their software features
    and are too lazy to doublecheck
    if they get green light from hardware manufacturer
    before making official announcements.

and apple has its own right to bitch
    because mac os version of flash
    is made of stupidity and bugs
    so it's in adobe's best interest
    to throw their viral marketing efforts
    into actual code optimization

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    Gaaaaaaaaawd. The whole thing is so stupid.

Thanks
    I find it ironic that Adobe are stating they love healthy competition.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zx52hg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If Apple doesn't want to support flash on their devices, they don't have to. It doesn't matter what their reasons are. Nobody is forced to purchase their products. If someone needs to run Flash, then maybe they should consider a Motorola Droid instead of an iPhone.

Adobe's motives are more about protecting their monopoly than free choice. Flash Player has over 90% market penetration. They simply don't want a viable alternative to get a beachhead. Adobe is all about freedom, as long as you are developing your apps using their platform.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Wow, that sucks. What's worse is that you can pretty much guarantee that apple will bring out its own 'new version' of flash, which'll just be pretty much flash with 'curved edges', still copying Adobe though...
    Behold, "Gianduia"! http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._gianduia.html

(Worst product name ever. I keep misreading it as "Glandular".)

One thing that pisses me off is I just found out microsoft chickened out with the courier. It was my only hope. I'm crossing my fingers for Wacom to compete with the iPad.
    Damn, they did? I'm still hoping for a Wacom and/or Google alternative... Somebody's got to put the pressure on Apple.

Whatever their reasoning, all I know is this whole situation is pure hell on developers. I don't know now if I should focus on learning ActionScript 3, or HTML 5, or Javascript, or god forbid, Glandular and Silverlight... uuuuuugh... It's like the mid-1990's all over again! D:

Thanks
    The advert suggests that Adobe pulled out of Apple.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    I went to a local business networking thing put on by a linkedin group the other week. One of the speaker's focus was discussing the iPad for business, is it a game changer, etc. One of the spin pieces they used was talk of where the web is going and they suggested that shortly flash will be out the window entirely. I question that quite a bit. It seemed sort of contradictory.... one minute they are talking about how it's not a big deal that Apple is flipping flash the bird and then in the next sentence they were talking about how important it is to have your website mobile optimized and that if people cant properly view your site on the go that they will not use your services.

Thanks
    This is Apples big mistake. Steve Jobs is too sick to fight this one, and nobody else in his organisation has the charisma to win the support of the creative developers who have vested any time at all in flash development and understand that its potential is still not quite matched by HTML5/canvas (its not, only chrome can run canvas at decent speeds, and IE9 is only beinf talked about right now.)

Adobe is only one of several victims here, there are tons of other development tools and languages that you're not allowed to use if you're developing for Apples overpriced and overhyped ipad and smartphones.

Blackberry is releasing an iPad competitor, and it will multitask and it will support flash. Google's smartphone is also gaining strong ground on Apple, and it will support flash also. Time will tell, but I think Apple will take a big hit over this, R.I.M will prosper more, google's dominance will become an inevitability, and Adobe's market share will be unaffected.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Blackberry is releasing an iPad competitor, and it will multitask and it will support flash. Google's smartphone is also gaining strong ground on Apple, and it will support flash also. Time will tell, but I think Apple will take a big hit over this, R.I.M will prosper more, google's dominance will become an inevitability, and Adobe's market share will be unaffected.
    That's what I'm hoping. Right now I feel like everything's in limbo and the future's uncertain. I'm just waiting for the dust to settle, and we'll see who comes out on top. I still remember the decline of Shockwave, so this whole thing makes me nervous.

I already have at least one client going on about "Flash is dead! We gotta develop for iPad!" We'll see how long that lasts.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    are there any official sales numbers of android based devices?

I'm not defending apple on this one, but google this, blackberry that,
    lot of devices failed miserably being superior technically but not getting enough customers.
    Look at the gaming market - back in early 2000s dreamcast lost it's competition to psone and not even released ps2, that had much crappier games in the first two years after release but had mesmerising marketing;
    today, nintendo's outdated consoles totally pwn their competitors, both next-gen and portable.

Apple have mac-fans, and mac fans are there for a reason.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    Earlier this week there were a bunch of stories reacting to Android outselling iPhone in the first quarter of 2010.

http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_100510.html

Thanks
    I wonder how 4th gen iphone launch affects the market - end of the year numbers might be quite different.

Thanks
    Before I dig up the recent article on Android's recent triumphs in the market place, Im going to point ot a couple of things, which are opinions, but I am utterly convinced of.
    My own company is in Waterloo, Ontario and we are locationally close to RIM. We service the technology industry to some degree, and a lot of people in my network work for RIM or are blackberry/iphone app developers, and its important that my company anticipates any shift in the industry, so my opinion has at least a little foundation.

Cloud based computing is the future, Chrome OS running HTML5/Canvas on smartphones has no real challenger in terms of fully embracing a new technology and optimising its strengths, chrome runs the new tech faster than anything and considerably so, if you can run it on your desktop, you'll be able to run it on your ChromeOS smartphone very soon.
    Google has been acquiring a fibre optic network spanning half the world, with this they will be able to ensure that cloud apps running from their servers run as quickly as they would from your own machine. You can run photoshop, or play a full quality 3d game with full graphics acceleration, multiplayer, on your phone if you want.

Google recently acquired Bumptop http://bumptop.com/
    Bumptop was a gimmicky but rather attractive OS geared towards stylus, analysts are predicting an ipad competitor, and likely it will multitask, run HTML 5/Canvas AND Flash and its software will outperform apples, microsofts, RIMs, and just about every other browser/os out there.

oh and that article.....

http://mobile.venturebeat.com/2010/0...tphone-market/

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ExiledRed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    That's what I'm hoping. Right now I feel like everything's in limbo and the future's uncertain. I'm just waiting for the dust to settle, and we'll see who comes out on top. I still remember the decline of Shockwave, so this whole thing makes me nervous.

I already have at least one client going on about "Flash is dead! We gotta develop for iPad!" We'll see how long that lasts.
    I dont think you need to worry, The browser standard is going to be HTML5, but you will be able to output your flash documents from any flash development tool, directly to canvas without a hitch, trust me. Its only the apple apps that flash developers wont be able to write for, their browser wont be able to prevent anything converted to canvas and dislayed on a web page.

This is the root of the problem, Adobe found a way to allow developers to work in flash and output to all kinds of different devices that dont necessarily support a flash player, so apple resorted to licensing language in order to prevent flash development in any shape or form on its products.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ExiledRed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It seems to me that Adobe could provide an option to export it's Flash movies as a HTML 5 <canvas> element and a javascript file, thereby side-stepping Apple's restrictions against Flash movies.

Of course, getting that to actually work cross-browser would be the problem there. Recent version of Safari, Firefox, and Chrome could probably handle it. But good luck getting something like that to work with IE6. Unfortunately there's still something like 10% of users running around with IE6.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbritton View Post
    It seems to me that Adobe could provide an option to export it's Flash movies as a HTML 5 <canvas> element and a javascript file, thereby side-stepping Apple's restrictions against Flash movies.
    As I understand it, Flash CS5 is supposed to do that, or something similar...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbritton View Post

Of course, getting that to actually work cross-browser would be the problem there. Recent version of Safari, Firefox, and Chrome could probably handle it. But good luck getting something like that to work with IE6. Unfortunately there's still something like 10% of users running around with IE6.
    Old browsers are going to be irrelevant, imo. Companies that dont upgrade from deprecated ie6 arent using the websites that canvas has been designed for. The whole focus right now is to develop for smartphones and portables anyway.

Chrome has gone from 1% of the market to about 8% in a single year, expect a gamechanging site that impacts culture in a way similar to facebook and youtube, that only runs properly in chrome. When that happens, the home user and up to date will convert like crazy and cross browser compatibility will become increasingly irrelevant as everybody is not only using chrome browser on their computers but chrome os on their smartphones.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zaorr View Post
    The advert suggests that Adobe pulled out of Apple.
    The case is adobe gave up hope on developing anything apple compatible. Apple has been very combative with them and refuses to cooperate.
    it's a shame too. I would totally get an iPad if it ran adobe ps and came with a wacom pen.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    I'm still hoping for a Wacom and/or Google alternative... Somebody's got to put the pressure on Apple.
    Knowing the way the market behaves, more than likely they'll just produce "me too" clones. Innovation requires too much, money, creativity, resources and even worse it requires faith. Microsoft had the money and resources, but not the faith. There's still a chance of somebody coming around and doing it right. I'm just not holding my breath.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I remember reading Jobs saying how Adobe crashes browsers...then realized the irony when I opened up iTunes and it crashed my browser (Firefox) 3 times...

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Forcing the integration of ITunes and QuickTime pissed me off. I can't use quictime so now I can't use ITunes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    No matter how you look at it, pulling out is not a valid form of contraception.

Thanks
    I don't hate Apple. To each it's own. But I really hate their attitude and even more their fanboy's attitude. I don't see them going far by their current practices.

ps: sorry if my English make little sense, I hope you get the point.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Crimsonstring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Knowing the way the market behaves, more than likely they'll just produce "me too" clones. Innovation requires too much, money, creativity, resources and even worse it requires faith. Microsoft had the money and resources, but not the faith. There's still a chance of somebody coming around and doing it right. I'm just not holding my breath.
    Actually there already Android Powered $100 dollar slates out (Android being the google ones)

This is another kind of slate. http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/05/1...powered-slate/

I really hate the touch slates but most of these are geared towards a bigger market than us measly artists. Ironic considering professionals pay for high priced software, and put their art on the web, where others (including companies) will steal. It's not that I even mind paying for the software, it's just the utter disrespect it seems companies give top paying customers at times.

Thanks
    Right...but how many of the prospective buyers care for pressure sensitive slates? enough to out-number the average consumer?

I do think that Apple thought as much as considering which targeted market will bring them more money. So we're left in a niche market who few think about milking...or maybe I'm wrong and it's the vodka talking

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Apple? Hypocrite? No way!

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts
    I don't give a flying crap as to who's right or wrong here. I'm just fed up not being able to watch Flash content on my iPhone, and it's all very well saying I should have got a different phone but that's not the point. The fact that two huge multinationals spend time arguing over sweet FA means the only people who suffer are us. Silly little provocative adverts that just wind each other up just shows the fundamental immaturity of their behaviour. Talk, sort it... end of.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.