Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

gulf oil spill HD pics

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...ly_in_the.html

self explanatory title -- good view of the efforts involved and the scope of things.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,015 Posts
    its time we get off oil, maybe this disaster will help speed up the process.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    what a fucking mess. This is definately one of those events that stand out in my 26 years on this earth, along with the election of bush and 911, [edit] and hurricaine katrina [/edit]as a complete and utter fucking disaster.

Then to top it all off, the people that own the oil rig, BP and their sister companies are all squabbling over who'se fault it is and are doing a shitty job both stopping the leak, preventing more damage, and cleaning up the damage so far.

Its an understatement, but this whole event is a massive disappointment.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Living on a coastal town here in florida, not sure if the oil spill 'is' the cause but a few days after this disaster we received rainfall during the night. The next day the sun was out and there was a thickness and horrible smell in the air, a dirty and dare i say burnt oil smell.

I can't say for sure that the spill is the cause for that but I've never experienced such an uncomfortable feeling like that before. (I have no tv so I didn't hear anything about it on the news or online)

this disaster makes me livid.

Thanks
    Awful stuff. =(

Thanks
    Tough to look at.

I want to get off of oil like everyone else. When you see photos of this nature, taken from monstrous distances, it really does provide scope on situation. But we are so deeply ingrained with fossil fuels, it's hard to believe the transition will be anything but extremely painful and laborious. I guess I mean, it won't happen overnight, which is the most disappointing part of it all.

I wish the world behaved similar to a group of friends. You say, "Hey, at midnight were all going to be here" (insert place) and everyone get's there at midnight, because of a common trust amongst one another. What I'm talking about is the ability for the entire globe to respond immediately to something as a collective, rather than this tortoise slow, disjointed network we have now.

Warring seems like the most retarded thing to me, and it usually hinges on religion or resources. We need to be focused on other things, like saving our planet, or finding a new one. This disaster only exemplifies how much more we, as species, have to mature.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickodemus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If you look at the mid-top executives of TransOcean, Halliburton and BP, not ONE of them has a background in engineering, they're all mostly from financial or the business sector, and that's true of a lot of companies, I guess.

The thing I don't understand is how people with little education in what their company actually does, because they have lower level people doing the work for them, get to the position they're in. Other than being exceptional liars of course.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    I guess this is a good wakeup call for those who drive a car when there's public transportation available, leave their lights on, buy food thats been shipped halfway across the globe etc etc..

A horrible sight, for sure.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash View Post
    I guess this is a good wakeup call for those who drive a car when there's public transportation available, leave their lights on, buy food thats been shipped halfway across the globe etc etc..
    Hehe that's giving people a LOT of credit ><

I think the more likely thing people are thinking is...

"Humm, I wonder if the cost to fill up my car is going to go up?"

Or

General Person - "So.....why do I care about this? What does it do to me?"

Scientist - "Oh! Well...other than the animals dieing and damage to eco..."

General Person - "Bla bla bla, what does it do to ME?"

Scientist - "Well... it affects the seafood industry...like shrimping..."

General Person - "I won't be able to get shrimp at red lobster?!?!"

Scientist - "No, I didn't say that. Just it will come from somewhere else. But people are being put out of work and..."

General Person - "Bla bla bla, again, how does it affect ME?... It doesn't? Ok, tv is on now, bye bye"

Most people don't really care about the environment or whatever damage it may cause in the long term. They just care about how it DIRECTLY affects their day to day life. If they don't have to pay more and still get the food they want and have their favorite TV shows, they aren't really interested. The best they might give is "oh, that's horrible" comment when they see it on the news (about the same reaction as the next story of "cat stuck in tree").

When the news stops talking about it, people assume it's all been taken care of and it's onto the next thing. ((Kinda like all those US government bribes a little while ago... how it was revealed many many people were involved. Yet only one or two people got put out in the newspapers as examples to the public to make it seem like things were happening and then the news moved onto other issues and it was forgotten about.))

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ivory_Oasis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    lol @ Ivory_Oasis. So true...
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Ivory, that's like everything US in a nutshell lol. I don't think a lot of other countries have that problem though, as they tend to have a longer or permanent collective memory.

That wake up call would probably come around when there's no more gas coming out of the pumps and only the wealthy will drive around.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    First of all I will say that it is a terrible disaster for the environment and for humankind, but now, on to the nasty! The images on the link have been enhanced and I can think of, for no other reason than emotional impact!

Why?

Shouldn’t the disaster be enough by itself? I live in the very area where this will have a definite impact. Why must the pictures be enhanced to convey a message of more gloom and doom?

Take a look at the seaplane flying over the water!!

Come on now!!---------Pa--LEAZZZZZ-----------

Bruce

Thanks
    It's just so saddening. I don't know what else to say about it. It's just one of those things that makes me lose confidence in both the future and mankind itself.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,735 Times in 4,641 Posts

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunarsis View Post
    Tough to look at.
    I wish the world behaved similar to a group of friends. You say, "Hey, at midnight were all going to be here" (insert place) and everyone get's there at midnight, because of a common trust amongst one another. What I'm talking about is the ability for the entire globe to respond immediately to something as a collective, rather than this tortoise slow, disjointed network we have now.
    Ain't that the truth...it would be nice huh?

This is freakin' horrible for the enviroment and I feel bad for both the people living near the areas where it's happening (as well as where it's spreading) and the animals too. No living organism deserves this.

Hooray! for greed and big companies. *sarcasm*

Thanks

Thanks
    I think the environmental effect of the oil is vastly exaggerated and is likely negating the positive impact this could have on the Gulf Coast. Crude oil is simply a highly concentrated, liquid form of carbon, the same element our bodies are composed of, as well as all the plants and animals supposedly "impacted" by this incident. Thus, complaining about the amount of carbon now being donated (free of charge, I might add) to the Gulf State ecosystems is as insane as complaining about the amount of life-giving water and air. In short, BP should be thanked for this unexpected contribution to the coastal environment.

I sense a tree-hugging, liberal conspiracy of negative publicity being directed from high levels towards the oil industry, probably orchestrated by the Grand Deceiver himself, Al Gore. It's time people woke up to it, as our freedom and liberty hang in the balance.
    On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time.
    - George Orwell

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    - Richard Dawkins

Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 586 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Auslander View Post
    I think the environmental effect of the oil is vastly exaggerated and is likely negating the positive impact this could have on the Gulf Coast. Crude oil is simply a highly concentrated, liquid form of carbon, the same element our bodies are composed of, as well as all the plants and animals supposedly "impacted" by this incident. Thus, complaining about the amount of carbon now being donated (free of charge, I might add) to the Gulf State ecosystems is as insane as complaining about the amount of life-giving water and air. In short, BP should be thanked for this unexpected contribution to the coastal environment.

I sense a tree-hugging, liberal conspiracy of negative publicity being directed from high levels towards the oil industry, probably orchestrated by the Grand Deceiver himself, Al Gore. It's time people woke up to it, as our freedom and liberty hang in the balance.
    gulf oil spill HD pics

Please...please... please say you are trolling.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidharth Chaturvedi View Post
    Please...please... please say you are trolling.
    I was simply "repurposing" some of the climate change counterarguments I've heard bandied about. I half-fooled myself...

I'm tellin' ya...there's a think tank somewhere that needs my talents.
    On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time.
    - George Orwell

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    - Richard Dawkins

Thanks
    Thanked 8,376 Times in 1,130 Posts
    You should've threw in that BP CEO's comment on why the Gulf clean-up workers were all getting sick. That would have been some serious trolling. According to his expertise, the spill's natural and harmless and people in the Gulf going to the hospital are just suffering from food poisoning instead of exposure to toxic oil or chemical.

Thanks
    You have to laugh at these things... or risk spiraling into a deep depression.

The Daily Show helps
    (updated... yay!)
    Last edited by karma militia; June 3rd, 2010 at 04:43 AM.

Thanks
    BP doesn't care. They know people will moan for a bit but nothing will really change.

here's why:
    Look at the top 10 companies and count how much of them are primarily an oil corporation.

Shell's profits = Switzerland's GDP
    Last edited by Vatsel; June 3rd, 2010 at 08:19 AM.
    VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by karma militia View Post
    You have to laugh at these things... or risk spiraling into a deep depression.
    Same here...I just noticed CNN added a "Est. Gallons Leaked" counter in the lower right corner...it's at ~34,889,000 right now.

On the bright side...
    KIRIBAN AT 40,000,000 gallons!!!

No, seriously, this really, really sucks. Glad the Feds are throwing the book at BP...
    - George Orwell

- Richard Dawkins

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    gulf oil spill HD pics

“When we found this dolphin it was filled with oil. Oil was just pouring out of it. It was the saddest darn thing to look at,” said a BP contract worker who took the Daily News on a surreptitious tour of the wildlife disaster unfolding in Louisiana.

His motive: simple outrage.

“There is a lot of coverup for BP. They specifically informed us that they don’t want these pictures of the dead animals. They know the ocean will wipe away most of the evidence. It’s important to me that people know the truth about what’s going on here,” the contractor said.

“The things I’ve seen: They just aren’t right. All the life out here is just full of oil. I’m going to show you what BP never showed the President.”

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    gulf oil spill HD pics

gulf oil spill HD pics

gulf oil spill HD pics

gulf oil spill HD pics

gulf oil spill HD pics

gulf oil spill HD pics

gulf oil spill HD pics

gulf oil spill HD pics

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nauvice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Anyone else think about Obama's fail during his speech when you look at the pictures above...

This is the biggest hit that an oil company has taken in a long time. I'm curious as to how we can keep the ball rolling and take advantage of an opening to really make some headway for clean energy.

Thanks
    I keep wondering how far that oil will reach... Seeing far-away pictures scares me enough, but seeing the poor animals suffering or dead in other pictures...heart-breaking. Those companies need to stop worrying about blame, really. Now's so not the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Well I'm sure it will get worse when the hurricanes start...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Auslander View Post

Auslander, i really hope Zwarrior's images a few posts up has enlightened you to think twice before recycling some more bullshit you heard off of Fox News™. Us liberal treehuggers arent always so full of it.

One can only hope after seeing those images maybe you'll see who'se really "orchestrating" things, and being "great deceivers". In your defense, i know it's hard to find a news network that doesn't force you to pick sides, but dont forget to use the ol' noggin every once and awhile when you hear something on TV that just doesn't sound right.

Or if you still havent changed your mind about carbon being so great for the environment, maybe then i you're also saying that it's okay to drink stuff like motoroil and eat coal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast