Thread: some wips

Thanks

some wips

If you got the time, please investigate these and let me know where my brain failed...

painted it in oils. Gonna try and add sum color in photoshop, and fix all the mistakes you guys find...

some wips

oils again, I really like oil now that Ive started, nice change from all the digital stuff I usually do. I only sketched out the girl in the foreground before painting, the rest are straight to paint, which is my excuse for why they have some whacky proportions. I think Im gonna blur out the other girls, and just stick with the one I like and color her in pshop also.

[IMG]some wips[/IMG]

heres a sketch for my next oil paint. I hope you can tell whats going on, the canvas and pencil dont scan to well, and I didnt do a good job of careing about clarity. Hopefully the paint will fix that.

some wips
    Last edited by mephisto; October 29th, 2004 at 10:26 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Heres the color Ive come up with after an hour or 2. Wish I knew what the hell I was doing with color. Anyone know how to pick a palet? Im just smearing stuff on..

some wips

Thanks
    Ugh. Done for today I guess. I looked at John Fosters and Justin Sweets work..realized most of their stuff has analogous color. Seems I use every color. I dont like it much now...I thought it had potential but I seem to have killed it. Maybe I will like it better later. Anyone got some help?

some wips

Thanks
    Heres a detail...up close is the only way I like it.

some wips

Thanks
    One thing about oil paints is: don't work the colors too much or they will become muddy. Build up thin layers of color. Let each layer dry before putting on the next. Never put a dark color under a lighter color unless you want that color to show through the next layer. Use varying tones of your primary color for shading and highlighting. In other words, (for skin, use darker tones of your main skin color for shading, and lighter tones of your main skin color for highlighting.)

Shading: gradually make the skin color darker until you get to the darkest area. The opposite for highlighting. If you want a certain area to really stand out, you can put a highlight beside a darkly shaded area.

btw: I like the girl picture the way it is. I would try and keep all of the girls. Just fix them up. And I kind of like the darkness of your goulish picture also. Keep working on it, until you get it the way you like it. Good luck.
    Art gives me a life of extreme challenge, frustration, accomplishment and contentment. Nothing less will do!

Thanks

Question Feeding your back

Hey,

Will you be posting your images again anytime soon? I got your link through XIA's Quick and Dirty Scribbles. I see I may be too late though...
    Not yet remembered...

Thanks
    wow, im surprised you found this thread, i think its almost a year old. unfortunately i went over my photobucket bandwidth limit and tried deleting a bunch of old work so i could post new work. sadly, that didnt work and i had to get a premium account anyway, and still lost a lot of old stuff i had posted. ill try and put some of it back up since ur interested. thx for replying.
    Last edited by mephisto; October 29th, 2004 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks
    I like the way those purples seem to be glowing as if under a black light. It gives the girls a hologram feel to them almost. The demon and darker purple arms coming out of the darkness to the left are sweet. I'd love to see a painting of these lady-gouls in action. Maybe the crotch-moster lady could have a mask or non-goulish face that would make the "lurking horror" more efficient at getting close to it's prey. But I think the woman in the foreground seems to have a disproportionately large head. Could just be me though.
    I see what you mean about the colors though. It's not bad persay, and you use more color restraint in other parts of the painting, but it looks like you tried about every color on the female's bodies. I guess that's kinda what gives them that hologram/3d-glasses feel to them, in my eyes.

You've got some really nice stuff going on here though. Live and learn from the experience I guess. It's all trial and error if you want to find what method works for you. But don't give up on the painting thing please. I want to see more!

Oh yeah, I found a really nice free image hosting site - Image Shack
    A quote from the site,
    "Will the images I upload ever be deleted?
    Images that have not been accessed in over a year will be deleted. This is by no means the maximum storage time, but rather the minimum. This means that as long as people view your image (wherever it may be), it's clock will reset. So, if someone looks at your image on day 364, that image will not be deleted for another year."
    Good Stuff! I just keep a text document documenting the direct link addresses so I don't lose the link, just in case.
    Not yet remembered...

Thanks
    cool joe, thanks a lot for your feedback. Ive only used oils once since then, I find it difficult to learn new mediums when I feel like I have so much to learn in the few I feel comfortable in. I always appreciate getting a second look at my work through someone elses eyes. Thanks man.

Thanks
    That detail you got has some beautiful colors, it's my favorite part. Very disturbing dude, that face on the girl!
    Cheers!