Knight - help with pose/anatomy and reflections

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Knight - help with pose/anatomy and reflections

Something I started last night. Recently I've been studying reflections, getting reasonably good at it, except this one is giving me some trouble. The BG is really simple, I'll fix that up later on.

The main parts I'm not so sure on are the reflections obviously, but I'm also worried about him looking a bit awkward, maybe how the weight is distributed or something. Any ideas on what I should do? I'm worried about going too far now and getting myself deeper into ... well I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm doing something wrong I'm sure lol.

UPDATED - 16th

New direction, scrapped old figure, started again with gothic plate.

Updated - 17th

Getting ready to polish it up and finish.

Name:  2010-05-12 - Kight with Gun - Wip15 sml.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  62.5 KB

Last edited by LJFHutch; May 17th, 2010 at 07:38 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for some odd reason i thought the guy was bleeding through the armor, but it was just the reflection. i dunno why it looked like that to me
    when the arms connect to the hands, it kinda ... flattens out somehow or something
    its neat the way you have the shadow blurring out in the back like that, but i was wondering about things like silhouette and composition
    most of the shadow is covered by the knight, is that like that? or can something be done about it?
    people say they're having trouble with stuff and produce something i couldnt like this

Last edited by eptigo; May 14th, 2010 at 11:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, the reflections are nice but maybe too deep. It looks like he been in a car wash. The first thing I see is that armor on the shoulders isnt lite in same way as a helmet.

Another thing is the armor shape that need better structure

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Eptigo: Thanks man, yeah, it sort of does look like blood in parts, hopefully it'll look better when it's polished and there's more reflections (there are a number of parts where there should be more reflections of both the weapon and his armor).

@Danilo: Thanks, by too deep what do you mean? And what parts of the armor do you think need fixing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First time critiquing in here..

First thing I noticed is his greaves, they are way too wide. Maybe thinner his legs overall a bit. And knee cups need abit of work too. Check this: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...r/RAMSG_11.jpg

Then I don't know if were going for realistic armor, but the hip area confuses me. The thin "lames" on the crotch area would hamper his movement. I'm not sure about the fauld's (on sides of his hip.) shape, seems kinda odd.

Also, as it seems you were going for "hourglass"-gauntlets, it's too thin on the arm side to let his wrist move freely.
    Hourglass:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_o4FKnnXmPo...20/JohnP13.jpg
    Regular:http://www.spiral.org.uk/acatalog/gauntlet.jpg
    Easier way to fix this would be by just adding hinges in the wrist, transforming it to "regular" type. ( Also a bit more periodic )

The elbow cups need to be bigger also.

Few references: http://www.google.fi/imgres?imgurl=h...26tbs%3Disch:1

About the weight distribution, dunno, I think he looks fine.
    Lot of links, but it felt easier explain with those...

Violence isn't answer, it can also be an argument, question or comment.

SKETCHBOOK
    DeviantArt
    Portfolio

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamikazuh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thanks man, those were great You're absolutely right too. I'll try to get an updated one soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LJFHutch View Post
    @Danilo: Thanks, by too deep what do you mean? And what parts of the armor do you think need fixing?
    I believe he means the reflections are too crisp, too reflective. Your knight is reflecting the entire environment, as if his armor is made of chrome. It is beautifully done, but it doesn't make sense. Notice in the references given to you by Kamikazuh, that the reflections on the armor are quite dull and undefined. Armor is typically not that reflective, especially when it has been used for some time (weathering, dirt, scratches, etc).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About the costume I think it need precision drawing and more interesting shiluette

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @pepokish: Yeah I see now, I'm gonna have to study those reflections after this one lol. I went in with the intention of making him chromed though, it's a semi-fantasy painting, but I wanted to base it pretty strongly in reality.

@Danilo: You mean more detail/finishing? It's still quite rough at the moment but I'm getting ready to polish it up. What should I do to make the silhouette more interesting?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,332 Times in 1,437 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Chrome is alright; it's just that the particular reflections in your picture aren't correct. Can you go to some museum and look at a real suit of armor, to take photos and make sketches?

There are some mistakes with anatomy, which other people have already mentioned; what I find the most jarring is that his shoulders are not the same width. Or maybe his head grows to one side. Or maybe he used to have two heads but then someone chopped one off. It's exactly that sort of lopsided look.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @arenhaus: As much as I hate to admit it (because it means more work lol), you're right on all points. I think I'm going to have to redo a lot of it, especially the helm, it's been bugging me for a while now.

His shoulders in particular need a lot of work I now realize, just flipped it a few times and noticed that not only is the right one smaller, his arms, torso and legs are staggered to the left, each too far over for the one below. And lopsided is exactly how I'd describe it.

What should I do with the reflections though?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aside from all that has been mentioned above...like arenhaus said, there is also the issue of the reflections themselves. For the most part the staff is clearly visible as a staff being reflected and it's shape is fairly uniform from top to bottom...which cannot occure in real life with the armor shaped as it is depicted.

As an example...the convex shape of the poleyn (kneecap) would produce a sort of exaggerated fish-eye effect while at the same time is showing the darker side of the staff yet with the same light level as the front. Other pieces would similarly effect the reflection and environment being reflected.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Pose

Just messing around with a new pose (now hate the old one lol). I've also completely ditched the old armor, replaced it with some typical gothic stuff for now, might alter some bits later, not sure. Thanks for all your help so far guys, much appreciated.

Feel free do do a paintover at any point btw, that would be awesome.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LJFHutch; May 16th, 2010 at 06:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Final Leg

Ok, I think I'm just about ready to finish this up, just wondering if there's any advice you could give me, especially in regard to the armor and reflections. At the moment they're a bit harsh and cartoon-like, but I'll sort that out after I get some sleep. Apart from that, feel free to rip it apart, POs welcome.

Thanks in advance, you guys have been great, really helped me on this piece.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!
    Just me bitching about historical correctness again.
    His right gauntlet needs a bit work, but I'm sure you were going to work that out when finishing.

I would change his spear into halberd, it was one of the most commonly used weapons that time (by knights). Those kinda short spears were really rare.

His left couter's "wing" is missing/too small. (Can't really tell) (elbow)

His helmet might need a bit work. Sallet can look like these too: http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/images/GH0171b.jpg Notice the long back piece. AND the removable visor
    But it's more of a personal thing, just how you like it.

something is wrong in his legs, dunno what though. Maybe if you put a bit stronger shadow on his left greave/lower foot..

But I think this is much better than the last one. Waiting to see it finished!!

EDIT. And by removable I meant this: http://www.armchairgeneral.com/wordp...towton_007.jpg

Violence isn't answer, it can also be an argument, question or comment.

SKETCHBOOK
    DeviantArt
    Portfolio

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamikazuh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest finding some objects that reflect to the point you'd like to express in your armor. Practice drawing them with different surroundings and study how and what they reflect. On a separate note, why is he in the desert? To be honest, it looks like the American West. That's my first impression.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I'm done, I've just got to move on with my studies as this is taking waayyy too long. I'm pretty happy with it, although a few things didn't turn out as I planned, and yes, it does indeed look like the American west Mostly intentional, maybe I should do a "bloopers" version with a wagon train in the background

Thanks again to all of you, really helped me with this.

Name:  2010-05-12 - Kight with Gun 800.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  72.2 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.