Sketchbook: Charmer's Thread! PRACTICE! - Page 16

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    strangedawn: thanks, I'll be posting continuously, let's see how good I will improve the next months.

Becka: hey Becka, thank you very, very much! I really appreciate your comments but you have really no crits? I have some critiques for my own, because I could do more with VERY much more effort but sometimes I don't get it. Your own progress rocks and you're getting better and better every time I visit your SB! Keep going forward!
    Hey guys. Haven't had an update for some days. My oils needed to dry and I wasn't at home, so here's my weekend update

Never did oil paintings or acrylic paintings before.

The one with the tree is oil
    the one with my face with the violet/red background is oil
    the green face is acrylic
    the apple is acrylic
    the lemon is pencil

and my new sketchbook, a special Da Vinci edition and my new Pilot pen.
    I'm slowly going to be a (very little) bit awesome, jippieee ka yay motherf... .!

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Never!? Wow, these are pretty good then. I really like the painting with the tree, it has a really nice composition. Keep working hard!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice works here, you did great progress Just continue your studies and you'll reach your goal very soon !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vertical: Thank you very much. Yes it was my first try (with cheap paint für 3 bucks) and I felt it was okay for the first time. Could be better, could be worse. Thanks anyway, glad you like it

in2eternity: thank you very much for your comment. really appreciate that and tomorrow i'm going to take a closer look at yours :-)

#####

Hey guys.
    Been pretty much down on motivation the last days because I didn't sleep enough and eat and whatever. My relationship split and it's okay. But knowing not ever have her like I did all the time or eventually don't see her for a long time or for ever is such a hard thing as you all probably know by yourself. Just like throwing away your anatomy sketchbook, you learned a lot with and from it but throwing it away isn't easy to handle the first time Both fronts are clear and really, it is completely okay.

I didn't give up the painting those days but I haven't had the mind to focus on drawing like I do normally. So here's my update from the last two weeks I guess. Did some scribbles here and there, but I won't scan or photograph them.

What I wanted to say is, that I WILL be here again in the next days, much more working like I did the last two weeks. Maybe more than before, I mean - who's the guy who's got much more time now? It's me, Maaarrrio! Hahaha. That's a good thing for my painting skills. So it isn't that bad at all =D

Have been on an Iron Maiden concert last week which was total awesome (I waited for that moment for like... the half time of my life and it was a dream come true) and I linked the visit of my friends for the maiden concert in the night just to get some new art supplies in their city. Got charcoal, some sketchbooks and last but not least: Schmincke Gouache paints and a pretty decent brush! Hell yeah. So let the games begin. Some stuff in Gouache is put up in this update. Very cool to paint with, completely different from what I thought it might be.

4 in the night.. time to sleep. See you later :>

Last edited by Charmer; June 21st, 2011 at 07:08 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, a brief hiatus from posting, and BAM! Update flood! Nice going Trap, that is a lot of stuff. I love how you did your computer mouse, but you may be sick of hearing that by now =P
    Your portraits are still getting there, but there is improvement in a lot of your sketches. It's cool that you're experimenting with media, keeps things fresh - gouache however, is born of the devil! That stuff made me want to stab people in first year.

I can't really think of what to crit, but as a sidenote, with a lot of your drawings from imagination you're still falling into the habits you did early on, but I'm sure that will sort itself out soon enough.

See you on IRC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good news friends. Got an invitation for the Virtual Design Study I applied for! Hell yeah, time of waiting is over, now I'm ready for the takeover! The best effort since I am drawing/painting! Hell yeah I am so happy right now!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations dude!
    Awesome you got it! ^.^

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Luke! I need to deliver good homework but I KNOW THAT I WILL DO IT GOOD. I mean, I need to do it good and I give my best. So it will fit whatever it may take.

Sketch of Baal. What did I do the last weeks? Playing lots of Diablo II (like I do every year), watched Game of Thrones (which I now can highly recommend!!) and I did my stuff for the study I applied for. Did some pages in my SB which I will show after I presented my homework because some of the other appliers know this forum because I showed them what I do. So I don't need anybody taking away my ideas.

The painting is now about 30 minutes from the sketch to what it is now. Will be refined and finished in the next days. Can't wait to get more work done.

Last edited by Charmer; June 25th, 2011 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,791 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Firstly, thanks for visiting my little sketchbook! Secondly, really great effort from you, there's a lot of visible progress from the first page and onward. And congrats for the Virtual Design Study thingy!

In order to further your anatomy studies I would like to link you Michale Mentlers thread "Book of Bones" here on CA: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26748

I can't tell you how much this have helped me in understanding anatomy and proportion and to systematicly build up a figure from mind. Read it throuroughly and do studies after his systems and
    techniques.

Keep it up!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @LORD_M: Thank you very much for your comment! I think I stuck on anatomy because of lack of motivation to keep drawing rough anatomy stuff through and through. I am drawing a lot the last time but in the last weeks I had the problem to think I'd need to force myself on bones and muscles.

Have a lot to do with some concepts for my study appliance test. Be sure I am not lazy with my drawing :-)

Heres a update from today. Nothing special, just a sphere. Learned a bit with it.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charmer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro, your stuff is improving, mmm if you looking for tips.. =) Would maybe say for moment to start lightly maybe with your pencil, just hold it delicately in your hand and sketch for a while and soon as you like a line just go over it again to darken. Also draw with simple forms too, okay qwl, have fun and go go =)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good to see your not giving up
    Keep up the fight Rocky and NEVAH give up!!

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Kungfoowiz: Thanks. I did lots and lots of practice in conceptual stuff. More learning about the feel of a piece than looking good the last weeks. My audition is done and now I have to hope that I'll get a letter from the Virtual Design College with the acceptance. I'll do lots more of drawing/painting quality stuff the next weeks. If I will study there - man - I really have the chance to earn my everything being a CONCEPT ARTIST. Hell yeah.

@Danny_K: Hey Danny, thank you very much for your comment! I am still alive and I do not stop anything here. The train's rolling in but I focused more on my own practice then on the practice "for" CA. Long time no update or so, so here is my final project for the college which I think was okay. They didn't disliked it I think. But I think in some kinda way I got some special attention because I don't heard anybody else did a digital painting. We'll see.

So here are some sketches and the final piece. It's okay for my skills right now but I now so much things I could have made better.

The Theme for the homework was 'balance'. The first things that came to my mind were the first I threw away. Some kind of balancing figures etc.

In my hometown a guy about 30 years ago did his high school diploma with note A and "threw away" his "civilized" life for a life in the forest. He lived there for 15 years. Some day two small girls were missed and of course it was like "it was the lunatic in the forest!" - but he wasn't. After 15 years of a life in nature, without money or anything else from the modern world we know he came back, defended himself in front of the judgement and he won. He is free and he never had to do with those girls. - That was my concept for the work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment Charmer! Great work on that last picture, monumental even. There's so much detail...There might be too much going on actually. It's great how much work you did here. You're getting way better, just keep this up!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Vertical! I'm trying to be better in digital painting since I am able to do much better work than I do actually - and I don't know what's the problem is. I paint too spongy but when I start painting really sharp it doesn't work much better. Well I guess I need some weeks to get a lot better since I am really motivated right now.
    Here's another piece I'm working on, just to develop some ideas, getting better in painting and have something to show you guys - maybe you have some tips for me which I can directly transfer to the pieces I'm working on right now.
    Have a lot stuff in my Sketchbook which I will show in the next days I think.
    So far - thanks for your visit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update from today.
    I'm doodling a lot in my sketchbook but I'm too lazy to scan
    I guess my Photoshop stuff looks a bit smoother but not too smooth. Really need to practice digital painting.

Maybe you've seen that piece some months ago, I just picked it up again and tried to fix some of the problems I had when I was painting on it for the first time. Looked really flat before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro, the face is a great start =) Mmm, try to work in soft tones maybe.. that is just a suggestion.. just try to suggest features.. I used to work in them myself.. like a lot =) Like an eye socket would just be a flat value (darker than for example the rest of the face).. And then as you can feel the form and get used to it, you can start putting in slightly darker value to suggest eyes and such.. Not sure if that helps.. Good luck with your next study =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Kungfoowiz! Directly tried to get a better idea doing a self portrait. I need to say - it looks a bit closer like me than the older ones. But not really like me. I am very bad painting eyes / mouths / noses. Need to study moooooar!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 643 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Charmer Liking the name choice by the way.
    You've got good work going on, looking at your digital paintings I've noticed that you need to think more about form and underlying structure. You're smoothing out way too much and it should really be more a matter of planes. Give this a read http://www.anticz.com/drawing1.htm and try the assignments Mr.Lemen gives. You can use images in here http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=223686 as a ref, especially the ones further down.

Good luck and keep it up

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Nibras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Nibras: Thank you very, very much for your advice and the links. Really need to practice that since I just read the text and it felt so much better. Here's the one I painted on yesterday and today. Looks sharper, a bit rougher but imo a lot better than the ones before! It's not finished and very rough but looks a lot more like me now. Guess thats the important thing

Edit: Added an update on the last piece.

Last edited by Charmer; July 25th, 2011 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some scans coming tomorrow. Here are two sketches for a Diablo II inspired thing I want to do the next days. Been playing way toooo much Dia II the last days. Hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro! =) Your sp is looking pretty nice =) I'm not sure of your actual features, but would maybe say the lips need to shift up just slightly from the ideal placement (well the one I use anyway). Okay, it's looking good =) Keep up the practice! =)

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think It's my new "ritual" in the morning to stand up, breakfast and paint a selfportrait. Hihi. Getting better IMO.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Newer version.
    Here's the promised sketchbook scans update.

Last edited by Charmer; July 27th, 2011 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys, I got the approval for Virtual Design!!!!!!!!
    Dream No.1: check!
    Right now I'm as happy as I haven't been for some years!!!

Edit: Some Jason Manley Colour Theory done today. Guys, BUY those Videos, they are awesome!!

Last edited by Charmer; July 30th, 2011 at 09:24 PM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    congratulation!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two more hours of Jason Manleys Colour Theory Video. Guys I can tell you, this is so awesome! Two new environments. Just quick sketches, tried some new stuff out like one small point of complimentary color and some hue/saturation differences between the colours to get my paintings all over a bit more interesting.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guyyyyyys! I got a job for some weeks until my college begins. First new thing to buy will be an Intuos 4 L (or M, don't know which one to choose yet)!
    Yeeeeeah! Second thing will be a Laptop / Computer. Don't know right now. Need to wait until it begins since we have the possibilities to program some iPhone and iPad Apps and maybe I need a mac. But I don't like Apples prices and I want to keep windows. I think I'll stick to windows. More (visual) updates coming soon my friends

Last edited by Charmer; August 6th, 2011 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro! =) The Cave1 came out really nice =) The values are nicer on it than the second piece imho, cuz you have better values for the back- and midground =) Don't forget about the foreground too, for example lighter shades on the rocks nearer to us in Cave1, could work some more stuff down there, okay just ideas, do what you feel comfortable, aahhh you so lucky, Intuous4 is not awesome, only cuz I don't have one, haha! =) Oh btw, congrats on getting into college and your new job too =)

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello charmer!
    i hope you had good summer, it's good to see some tradional and your digital has improved since my last visit, keep up the hard work my friend and a big congrats to getting accepted into collage, be sure to keep your sketchbook updated with school work aswell so we can follow your progress

until next time!

43. The Following User Says Thank You to snatti For This Useful Post:

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 21