Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Charmer's Thread! PRACTICE!

Thanks
    Really like the progress on the mage ...
    Cant wait for the next update.
    - BLOG - ------------------ - Sketchbook - ------------------ - deviantART -
    "It's nothing really, all in a days work for us bicycle repair men"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I see you added glasses for the mage, good thing because now he can see exactly where he's shooting at!
    about values and stuff don't stress it too much it will come in time, do as many B&W pencil studies as you can, B&W photo studies and notice how there is a wide range of tones in every inch but you will understand that with time together with everything else.
    Remember the bigger range of tones from Black to white you have the more details your image has and thus make it more real and believable.
    My Sketchbook

Friends
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart
    Facebook page

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

Thanks
    While you wrote me here I was drawing my mage on paper with a pencil and took a mirror and myself for reference for the pose. It's better I think but I also think that it's very far away from 'good'.
    Took about 45 minutes.

Thanks
    One thing that can make a figure look stiff is the the bones are drawn as straight lines, yours seem a little to stiff in that Gif image. Also the hand looks weird, it looks like it's pointed directly toward the viewer, while from the rest of the pose it should be more from the side. I like the new sketch, hand looks better.
    For value studies, take a picture and paint it, if pure values, you can convert it to gray scale first, and simply paint it. I don't really understand what you mean with the hardness of the brush in this regard, I use a hard brush when I want crisp lines and a more soft brush for blending, but for me it has nothing to do with the values it self.

Thanks
    Hi jskotte!
    That's what I did mean with the value: my brush seems always to be too hard for blending. I'm picking the colours between (the mixes of blended colours I used), I don't press the pen too hard but it has too much opacity. When I take a look to other guys videos on youtube etc. I don't see what I do wrong because I follow their steps sometimes to figure out where I don't make progress right now. The Brushes are good and well thought out. I think it is my failure and not my graphic tablets. But I wasn't able to figure out what's wrong with it. I need to find it out, they may take some time. Maybe I do something really important totally wrong, I don't know.

The hand will be better in the next sketch. I think that mage will be something like a learning project, I want to finish that drawing incl. environment, good light and shadows, pose etc.

I tried to not let the mage too stiff but I will do a complete redraw of it i think. Maybe a couple of times until it's the optimum of my possibilities.

Thanks
    You can vary the flow and opacity of the brush, when you have the brush tool selected there are two sliders in the top menu bar, one saying opacity and one saying flow, try to play with those.

Thanks
    Haha thanks man. But I already know them and I use them. Maybe there is the problem. In so much videos it looks like they aren't using them, with the Numpad you can change the value but I haven't seen that in speedpaintings etc. There is some thing I don't do "correct". I'll find it.

Thanks
    2 new updates of my mage. my pencils, sketchbooks etc. arrived today! uhm, what should I say... I LOVE LEAD HOLDER PENCILS!!
    Attachment 1043306

Attachment 1043301

Attachment 1043304

Attachment 1043305
    Last edited by Charmer; August 17th, 2010 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks
    wtf are you stockpiling pens or something
    the shading for the mage is looking better at this point but ut´s hard to tell where the main lightsorce is coming from.
    with the massive amount of studies you are putting out it´ll be fun to see just how far you will go.
    keep it up!

Thanks
    Nice! I have a few of those drawing implements myself .. even the 0.7 fat Faber one... (dont like it that much though)

What I could suggest is for one of the sketches of the mage choose only 3 to 4 tones of gray to work with and use only them to shade. this will make you conscious of what is in front and what is in the back. I use crosshatch for that. Think about doodling a quick sketch of the mage from the side or 3/4 view to better understand his stance. A good idea is to work out your tones in a very simple version of your image .. then later when you are happy with that you can add the folds to the material and other detail. light source is important to establish form!
    - BLOG - ------------------ - Sketchbook - ------------------ - deviantART -
    "It's nothing really, all in a days work for us bicycle repair men"

Thanks
    your drawings are improving nicely since the start =) pencil stockpile is always a good thing, haha

as for the recent drawing, i think the gesture is still abit off, the proportion could be refined more. It's a good thing youre doing more and thinking about rendering tonally, but id take shambok's advice on simplifying the tones into tonal shapes and limiting your value range. But its looking good, and hope to see much more studies in the future!
    "The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe you can do strong enough, you can do. Anything. As long as you believe."
    Bob Ross
    'Updates every other decade' Book
    Death by Hue Shift!

Thanks
    Thanks very much guys!

I'm not stockpiling pencils, just had at least the half numbers of pencils for years. New are only the lead holder, the H6 Faber Castell, the Rotring Tikky and the Penac Okay well, maybe I'm stockpiling a liiiittle bit. haha.

You guys are right, I need to simplify that stuff for my learning process (the value thing with your advice to just use 4 tones), I overpainted that poor mage way too often. Will change the mage as long as it needs 'til it's correct.

I will upload new stuff in about three or four hours. For now there is one thing, my first drawing with the lead holder and the first drawing in one of my sketchbooks.

Greetings,
    Flo

Thanks
    Raven software? pretty cool sketch
    My Sketchbook

Friends
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart
    Facebook page

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast