C.O.W. # 176 Red Eyed Woolly Spotted Howler_Voting!

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite Howler!

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Phade01

16 24.24%
  • ArdentMind

0 0%
  • ChromaticCodex

4 6.06%
  • monotony

8 12.12%
  • (lark

1 1.52%
  • Ricardo Robles

11 16.67%
  • ianthegeek

0 0%
  • Mr. Gadbury

10 15.15%
  • Steve Somers

1 1.52%
  • IVIATT

12 18.18%
  • chriskot

3 4.55%
  • ninety9

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 429 Posts
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #176 Red Eyed Woolly Spotted Howler - VOTING!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #176 VOTING

Topic:Red Eyed Woolly Spotted Howler

Deadline for the voting: Tuesday May 25th, 2010

Posting thread (closed): http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=176212

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by scorge; May 19th, 2010 at 12:12 AM.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Phade01

Concept: Rattus Accipitridae

During spring time when it is mating season, strange sounds can be heard from the heart of the Forrest. The howling comes from the Rattus Accipitridae, who are known for their strange mating behavior.
    When the creature cry's it presses it tongue to the bottom of his throat to make a range of high frequency noises.
    Loud Cry's are used to attract the female creatures from miles and miles away. Off course there is also a danger that they attract the male species, in that case a fight for dominance occurs. The challenge is that they destroy the red sack of their opponents, because a larger sack is what makes them attractive for the female species and gives them a higher chance to mate.
    When a sack is destroyed it mostly takes a whole year for it to regenerate.

Name:  17_mei_COW.jpg
Views: 2122
Size:  271.2 KB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Phade01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: ArdentMind

Concept: Snow Howler
    The Snow Howler lives in frigid regions, subsisting on scarce plant material hidden under layers of snow. Its tusks and beak-like snout helps it in shoveling snow out of the way. The large nasal chamber as well as the large throat pouch act to warm air before use in respiration and for efficient removal and use of liquid content in the atmosphere. This Howler specimen is a female. Females are larger, with a much more pronounced throat pouch to help during gestation and warming the young after birth. The mother rests with its single or twin calves protected under its throat and closest to the warming throat pouch.

The Snow Howler is solitary in nature, with scarcity of food necessitating a very sparse population for any given area. The polar bear is the only known predator to the adult Snow Howler, while wolves and polar bears attack unprotected young. While the nasal and throat pouch serve to warm the air, the Howler gets its name from its preferred form of long-distance communication. Howling is used to deter predators, but it's most noticed use is by the female. The Snow Howler cow will howl to announce her rediness to mate. The better the female can howl, the wider range of males she can reach and choose from for a suitable mate. After choosing and then after mating, she howls and chases the males away so she doesn't have to compete with them for food.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: ChromaticCodex

Concept: Trumpet Quottle
    The largest of the quottles, Trumpet Quottle are a forest dwelling species that use their powerful diaphragm and throat to produce long resonant howls which deafen and terrify potential predators. For all their considerable bulk and aggressiveness these creatures subside entirely on foraging nuts and raiding termite or ant colonies. Trumpet Quottles travel alone, or in small herds of 2-4 individuals during mating season. These animals dig large but shallow dens to sleep away the daylight hours, coming out at night to investigate insect colonies that have moved into the trees that they periodically knock down with their howls. Its large toothless mouth is equipped with a hard palette for grinding vegetation and a long sticky tongue for slurping insects. Quottle's Eyes are large and highly heat sensitive which, paired with their remarkable olfactory senses, make it extremely effective at tracking its favorite food. It's eyes have a large transparent lid that snaps closed as the Trumpet Quottle howls, or feeds, protecting it from insect stings and flying debris. Their horns are large winding airways that allow the creature to make a large range of sounds both for communication and defense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: monotony

Concept: Rewsh
    the "REWSH" lives in the deepest chinese forrests. being a very rare and rogue species they live most of their life by themselves. but during mating season they have a hard time finding others of it's kind in their huge habitat. Therefor they have developed what is known to be the loudest howl that can even be heard over miles in the thickest bamboo forrest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: (lark

Concept: volek

Name:  red eyed howler final.jpg
Views: 2118
Size:  199.0 KB

permanent loss of hearing, broken bones, and ruptured organs. these are just a few of the many possible injuries that can be caused by the massive volume of the volek's scream.

living in arid desert flatlands, the volek hunts prey of all sizes, even those that are more then 5 times its size (the volek being roughly the size of a large male lion). its method of hunting is to creep up as close to the prey as it can, once the prey notice it, its already too late. its scream can stun a victim within a mile, and kill within a hundred yards.

the voleks anatomy has adapted to handle the incredible volume in 2 ways, first, it's internal organs are protected by an internal insulation, and a sturdy body cavity. and second, the large claws on its front and back legs are used to hold itself in place when the force of its scream pushes the volek backwards.

the scream is created by an abnormally large lung capacity, and the force of an extremely flexible, muscular ribcage. it lasts at the most 2 to 3 seconds, making it less like a scream, and more like a cannon blast.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 714 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Ricardo Robles

Concept: Howler of the Northerrn Peaks

This is a kind of predator that lives in the highest peaks of the northern mountains.
    They feed with other animals and do not attack humans unless they feel completely trapped.
    In this moment they throw a hideous shriek in variable frequency which is able from to stun to make explode the body cavities of the attackers, such as the rib cage and the cranial cavity.
    The howl can be heard many miles away and it's really strange to have an opportunity to hear it. When it happens, mountain villagers say the best is cover the ears tightly or put the head under the water, and wait till the long howl stops.
    Its splendid spotted fur is highly appreciated, cause of its natural resistance and the beauty curly hair.
    King Zalamarr II was known for cover his royal battle armor with one of this furs, but were hundreds the warriors that died trying to achieve it for him.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricardo Robles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Ian the Geek

Concept: Aufilus Camoflagious

The Aufilus Camoflagious is an unfortunate creature. Not only is its pelt highly sought after but it also seems to be easily tracked by both man and it's natural predators. Luckily this creature has a highly developed brain and a highly effective defence machanism. When approched by a threat the Aufilus Camoflagious howls madly at the approching danger while staring it out with its big red shiny eyeballs in an attempt to frighten it away.
    Strangely these creatures and becoming rarer and rarer by the day...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Gadbury

Concept: Dynatos sauros (Loud Lizard)
    This is a prehistoric creature, one of the larger bird-like reptiles to have lived during the Jurassic period. Not being particularly strong or quick, it relies on its deafening scream to stun small prey, and to avoid larger, more powerful creatures getting too close. It perches on high up branches to get close and blasts them mid-flight causing them to drop to the ground.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

RrrrrrraaaAAAOOOOWWWW loggle loggle loggle yi-YAHHHHH

Artist: Steve Somers

Concept: Slaptailed Screamer

The Slaptailed Screamer is a relative of the cat family. It has the unusual evolutionary advantage of self-regenerating intestines that double as vocal chords. The Screamer starts at a low and murmuring growl, which grows in volume for several minutes until it begins slapping it's twin tail pads together and issues forth a scream of such intensity that it actually forces out part of the intestines that will later regenerate. Current scientific theory posits the notion that they do this for no better reason than to be totally annoying.

Updates and new work:
    www.stevesomersart.blogspot.com

CA Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=175919

Available for freelance

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Somers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: IVIATT

Concept: Two-Horned Howlah
    The two-horned howlah, also known by its scientific name "Hornus Howlarus", is a bulky, bovine like creature that resides in grassy meadows around the globe. When so provoked by any creature, predatory or not, it is capable of producing a howl of up to 194 decibels, the loudest noise known to man. The two horns protruding from its head are what makes this sound possible. Vibrations produced from specialized internal organs are projected out through the mouth and simultaneously through these horns, which are also lined with several other mouth-like openings. In total, the six additional 'mouths' can focus sound projection upon a single target with a range up to 100 meters. At short range, unsuspecting field mice can be sent flying miles into the distance by its formidable bellow.

Last edited by IVIATT; May 18th, 2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: text edit
    Follow me on Tumblr -> Visual Intrigue
    Available for Commissions! Email me at mhowley@c.ringling.edu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: chriskot

Concept: Greater Spotted Howler
    The greater spotted howler is one of the loudest creatures known to mankind. Found in the vast, dusty deserts of Telemachus III, they use their tremendous howls to stun or kill prey and would-be predators, as well as to locate others of their kind over distances of many kilometres. A howler's cry requires a great deal of energy, although they rarely howl at their full capabilities. Such an extreme howl is only let out in the greatest of emergencies, due to the high risk of internal trauma to the howler. Contrary to popular belief, telemachian howlers are generally quite docile unless they have reason to feel threatened. Even so, they should generally be avoided on the off chance that something else may set them off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: ninety9

Concept: bruakhian graaawr

On bruakhia, one of delta-4´s outer rings´planets, the graaawr is one dangerous species.
    the creature´s sharp claws and teeth itself are not what an unguarded wanderer wishes to encounter but what makes him even more dangerous is his elaborated sound-organ.
    a roaring graaawr will lead to injuries varying from numb- and deafness to serious earbleeding, cerebral damages and exploding arteries and eyes.
    the graaawr has a combined sound-organ wich consists of a cavernous tongue-add-on and crest on the forehead.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 429 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is one of the best rounds artistically I've seen since the old days. I'm gonna have to take my time going over these to determine my vote. Thanks guys for the awesome turnout!

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're absolutly right scorge. I can't decide yet. There is so much win in this week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ricardo Robles gets my vote here. I think many of the entries here are missing a key component of the brief which is "creature must be in the middle of an insane howl that makes your ears bleed from miles away."

To me, some look like they are growling ( (lark, monotony) others seem as though the creature is yawning (ninety9, ChromaticCodex, ArdentMind) or maybe choking on a hairball (Steve Somers, ianthegeek).

All and all, I just feel that Ricardo Robles really pushes the idea of blood curdling animal noise with every brush stroke. (also love the exploding head, nice touch)

However I do agree with scorge, everyone looks like they really put alot of effort into these, a nice round overall!

Last edited by Yeti Ball; May 19th, 2010 at 01:03 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti Ball For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, awesome round. The technical merit of each artist really shows thru this round. My vote went to Phade tho, i really feel the creatures power thru the design and imagery. Great to see such a vast variety of styles this time around too.

Phade01: Great job, i really like the design here, and feel the power from the action lines. You got my vote.

ArdentMind: Cool design, i like the setting, but i just dont feel its dynamic enough, good design and setting tho.

ChromaticCodex: Awesomne colors, I wish it was rendered a bit more to make certain areas pop.

monotony: In terms of pure painting skills, I think this is the strongest, the focal points and composition are excellent as well. But the design is what stopped me from choosing this one.

(lark: Great job, this is one of your strongest entires to date, I just wish it had a bit more action goin on.

Ricardo Robles: Brutal, I love brutal. But I wish it was realized a bit better? if that makes sense.

Ian the Geek: Cool I can see this calling for miles being so tall, try pushing the render a bit further, and use animals from life if you need reference.

Gadbury: I love the paint strokes and texture here, but its hard for me to see the howler in it. Good job.

Steve Somers: Nasty creature, looks great but i dont feel the power of its howling here.

IVIATT: Excellent style, excellent design, I think this was prob my 2nd or 3rd choice, great job.

chriskot: Another great entry, keep em coming. Thats one ugly creature haha. Love it.

ninety9: Cool, I like the design but feel as if the blackish brush strokes are "mudding" up the image.

Again great round, Good job everyone.

Freelance/general inquiries @: Natzuur@gmail.com

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Natzuur-JK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 714 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow a lot of interesting works this round... congratulations to everybody.
    My vote is for IVIATT for this original and fresh approach.

Phade01: cool creature and nice effects in the fur and the head shape. Good idea to add this sack, and is very logically explained in the description. The environment is a strong point in the piece, very well done.
    ArdentMind: with this kind of creature is easy to make a relationship with the "howl" action.. maybe the unprotected stomach zone isn´t working good with the frozen environment.
    Chromatic Codex: Nicely colored piece, and pretty original. lovin the expression of the 2nd creature in the background, and the way you drew the creature feet. My only crit would be the jaw of the first, it seems a bit angular or mechanical.
    Monotony: The colors, composition and environment is really well achieved man.. maybe the creature design isn´t bringing too much new, it´s very close to another existing mammals. (I liked much more your first version with more open mouth) Anyway one of my favourite entries cause of the atmosphere and the execution.
    (lark: Very interesting creature, nice rendering and fur too. There are some things that could´ve been improved though, imo: I supose your intention was having the creature forced off back (is this the correct spelling?) cause of the strenght of the howl.. maybe the efect could´ve better achieved if you´ve putted the head looking up, and with some exhalation effect.
    Ianthegeek: nice design in the creature head and mouth. The spotted effect is pretty original too.
    Mr. Gadbury: one of my favourite entries since i saw it in the wip section.. it has a curious mix of bird/mammal/reptile/anything. I like the colors, composition and the way you focused the illustration overall. As critic, i´d go for a better execution in the falling birds part, and maybe a better showing of the creature´s head.
    IVIATT: another of my favourites, a surprising entry. The colors and the construction of the creature are awesome, the howling action is well achieved too. The part of the "six additional mouths" is very cool.. as a critic, i´m missing the woolly aspect.
    Chriskot: great entry. One of the best achieved howling actions here.. the colors are very nice, great execution. Maybe the body of the creature seems a bit too much "compact" and less explained in my opinion.
    ninety9: cool creature, specially the sound organ is quite original. Maybe more extraterrestrial attributes would´ve worked better.
    again, great works everyone!
    sorry for the possible grammar errors)

Last edited by Ricardo Robles; May 19th, 2010 at 06:03 AM.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ricardo Robles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice one IVIATT, you got my vote ^^ love how you used the horns to make it louder the mice could be left out tho.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to TSonline For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Natzuur-JK View Post
    ninety9: Cool, I like the design but feel as if the blackish brush strokes are "mudding" up the image.
    thanks, i feel that too, but i don´t really know what u mean by "blackish brush strokes"?
    do u mean the outlines on the head/horn structure, or the darker lines in the fur?
    i am very interested in your explanation because this is what i see myself having the most problems with. i don´t have the best understanding of light though. that´s why it looks pretty flat often.
    the second issue i have is colouring the creatures. i do them in greys first and then try to get colour on BUT that does not come out as i want it. i guess that could be what produces the blackish strokes u mentioned (if u dont mean the darker outline on the head).

perhaps someone can help me with that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The darker lines in the fur are what im referring to. It may be from the process you use, im not sure. Its not that it looks flat, but that the dark under color, or the shadows of the strands could realized with something other then grey. The fur color is a tertiary blue-green, so a nice dark valued and partially desaturated tertiary red-orange used in the shadows (especially edges) would make it pop more.

This is a general rule that works pretty decently just look at a color wheel, choose the opposite color, go dark and desaturate a bit and it makes a nice shadow. A difference layer can sometimes achieve a simlar effect as well.

Don't worry too much, it's a good image overall. Just experiment, and paint with confidence.

Freelance/general inquiries @: Natzuur@gmail.com

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Natzuur-JK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote goes to Gadbury! His picture is atmostpheric, and I think the concept is a very different approach anatomically to what everyone else did. It moves like a monkey but almost reads like a strange bird. Very original. He also sold the idea of the howl with the dying birds. Overall a cohesive concept.

Follow me on Tumblr -> Visual Intrigue
    Available for Commissions! Email me at mhowley@c.ringling.edu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really enjoyed seeing what you guys came up with this round, some really cool stuff. I ended up voting for Monotony just because it stood out a bit more, the space is convincing and the colors pop. My only beef on this round is that we all pretty much came up with 4 legged furry creatures with their mouths wide open, would've been cool to see some more variety on body shapes.

Updates and new work:
    www.stevesomersart.blogspot.com

CA Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=175919

Available for freelance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Mr. Gadbury for his sense of ecosystem and looseness of image, though you know exactly what it is. I would even hang this on my wall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Mr. Gadbury for his sense of ecosystem and looseness of image, though you know exactly what it is. I would even hang this on my wall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really strong round, such a thought decision.

However this week my vote goes to Phade01.
    Great creature design, both quirky, believable and kinda cute and your piece really sells the HOWL, I would not like to be standing their next to it that's for sure. The rendering and colour is also fanatstic. Great piece which for me perfectly fits the brief.

2nd a 3rd go to Gadbury and Steve Somers respectfully. Both also awesome pieces which really fit the brief.

quick few shout outs...
    monotony, amazing piece, beautifully rendered, Love the creature design very believable. However while I can imagine them being loud growlers, I don't really picture them as being ear drum rupturing howlers.
    (lark, Glad to see you went with the two eyed version and keep some of the glow in, looks sweet. Really cool way of showing the howl, although I think you could have still put a bit more infront of it to show the shockwave (maybe some leaning grass or spit), as I get the sense of more backwards motion as if something was screaming at it. Fantastic creature though, nice fur rendering.
    IVIATT, Great surreal creature, with a cool art style. Might have even got my vote if it was just abit more woolly.
    Ricardo Robles, Nightmarish creature, love it. The guys head exploding from the sound is an excellent touch.

Last edited by Fiddzy; May 19th, 2010 at 12:41 PM.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fiddzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great round! Agreed with scorge on the level of great images in here, also have to agree with Steve Somers that all the entry's are basicly screaming 3 legged creatures

ArdentMind: Great for a first entry to COW, and welcome to CA! I really like the fact that you've put a lot of time in the description and back story to the creature. there still are some perspective issues and the rendering inst very strong. How about opening a sketchbook here?

ChromaticCodex: Great mood in here. I really like the fish(fins) elements & chameleon tail-tongue in your design. Personally i think the design would improve if the creature it self had some more organic shapes, lots of shapes are very square still( like the feet, the body, etc.)

monotony: Awesome image! i really like the rendering and the mood you have created. The background is a bit too bright too my taste wich looses a bit of focus on the creature, it looks like there is a very strong light in the back(trough the threes), however the fur of the left creature does not have a rim light on it

(lark: Very powerful design. Looks like a big and strong creature! the howl doesnt really come trough as very powerfull, also the motion lines on the back of the creature contradict the scratches made in the front the claws, like the creature is going in two directions

Ricardo Robles: Great image! i really like the rendering, design and the action in this one, exploding head is a nice touch! i do feel the image is a bit too dark.

Ianthegeek: i like the design of the head in this one, although the body could have been a bit more dynamic. i also the the background could have been pushed a little further.

Mr. Gadbury: I really like this one, very strong mood and great creature design!

Steve Somers: Very dynamic image! I really like the idea of vomiting his intesties . There are however some perspective issues visible in the claws, they look a bit wonky

IVIATT: Surprisingly nice entry! Great use of style here! A little nitpick: Only thing i dont get is the triangle shape on the inside of his mouth to the left

chriskot: Voted for this one because the image is really dynamic, and i have a weakness for mars-like-planet-sci-fi images, great entry! Only crit would be that the sky is a bit poorly rendered

ninety9 : Have to agree with what the others said, never use 100% black when u brush, it tends to desaturate the image a lot

hope the crits help!

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phade01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In my mind this was between Phade01 and Mr. Gadbury and it was a difficult call. I really like the concept behind Mr. Gadbury's creature, using the deafening roar to stun prey. An idea like that can really win my vote, but the piece doesn't show the deafening roar, it's more of a regular yell. Phade01's piece however does show the roar and it does so well. He wins my vote, I'll go into a bit more detail here below.

Some Comments and Crits:

Phade01: Wins my vote. The howl is displayed really well, the creature has an appealing color scheme with its red beak/eye and blue fur and the red sack is a very nice explanation for its howl. The face and beak of the creature are beatifully rendered and the accompanying text about the mating rituals is icing on the cake. Some crits: The red sack is nice, but could be way bigger to make it look more powerful. Nature does it more like this: Toad, frog. They have sacks much bigger than their heads. Furthermore, the trees bending because of the howl are excellent, but this means that the creature itself should also be pushed back, with the same force. It should be gripping the ground and bracing itself against its own howl. It does that a little, but not enough. The BG seems a bit bland compared to the rendering of the creature, especially the tree trunks. The leaves however look really nice (especially in the upper right corner) and I'm wondering how you've made them. Did you use a special brush? The spots on the howler are a little hard to believe since they're such a detailed form (a spot with a ring around them). Spots like those can occur on creatures, but only on creatures with short fur (leopards etc.). The long fur of this howler would have to align exactly to display the pattern painted on them, which is unlikely to occur. It's more likely that they take on a random alignment, blurring the ring and spot painted on them. The only kind of spot that would survive this distortion would be the simplest of all, a fully filled circle (or oval). Note that I'm just nitpicking here, the overall design and idea are excellent and imho the best this round has to offer. Congrats!

Mr. Gadbury: Excellent idea here and a close second. I love the idea of the creature stunning prey with its call, it almost got my vote. The creature itself is a little dark but compelling, the BG is beautifully rendered, the skewed horizon is kindof interesting (and a little disorienting...but I think I like it) and the falling prey are lovely! I love the flock of birds seen in the distance. Some crits: The creature's doing a yell but not the deafening roar you'd expect from something that can stun prey with it. If it were doing such a powerfull howl, then the thin branch it was sitting on would bend bigtime and the creature itself would be bracing itself against it, trying to not be pushed back by it's own howl. Right now it's just perching there. The red eye stands out nicely as the focus of the image. The colors used appear a little bland to me, the creature itself is a little dark and uninteresting.
    However, overall it's a good image and an excellent idea!

Monotony: Very nice creatures, and the whole image has a nice warm feeling about it. The flurry of leaves blowing around look good and can suggest a deafening howl being heard, but the creatures are just doing a regular yell. The fur, eyes and mouth of the leftmost creature look excellent, very detailed and convincing.

(lark: Now this one is bracing itself against its own howl, very nice. The howl however doesn't seem to have the power seen in Phade01's or Chriskot's. The BG is a somewhat featureless but still looks nice, I don't know what you did (special brushes? textures? what's that spotty-grainy-ness seen through the colors?) but it looks nice. The subtly glowing red eye is also good, it looks almost ominous.

Steve Somers: Reeaally interesting what you have here, a really expressive creature, the design of the mouth is excellent. But the painting style used to create it looks a bit 'cartoony', which is not my thing. The windyness seen in the clouds is a nice touch, it suggest a mood of 'Stormyness' to the viewer, which enhances the feel of a powerfull howl. (see also below)

chriskot: Excellent use of the BG/environment! The howling wind suggest a true feeling of 'storm' to the viewer, enhancing the feel of a powerfull howl. This coupled with a creature which is obviously doing a very strong roar looks great. I considered this for a while to cast my vote on, but I guess I just liked the appealing parrot-like howler of Phade01 over this repelling pig-like howler. Note however that I mean that this howler is beautifully painted, but modelled after something repulsive, like a pig. So it's beautifully ugly, and it's the ugly that repelled my vote in the end. However, if the brief had included the word 'ugly' than this would have gotten my vote.

Wir sind Helden

Sketchybookuh!
    Do you live near AMSTERDAM? Then join our SKETCHMEETS!

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kelp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (Grr, didn't load when I tried 4 hours ago!!)

Yeti Ball, Natzuur-JK, and Ricardo Robles - thanks for the comments. I have to agree with the critiques, I really like different aspects of the other entries, but especially the sense you can "feel"/see the howl.

Ricardo Robles gets my vote!

Phade01: Yeah, that's a howl! The way you've visually represented the howl is great! There's certain things I really like the rendering on - the eye, the glowing sack - while some areas seem more blurry? - for example the forward foot. This is sort of nitpicky.

ChromaticCodex: Cool concept and the rendering looks well done. I think what makes this more tame is the other Quottle in the background, just kind of glancing at the main Quottle that's howling. Are the broken limbs/trees in the foreground an effect of the howl? More obvious effect on the environment might notch up the ferocity of the howl. (Believe me, I know I'm one to talk… my yawning snow cow seems pretty tame compared to many of these entries!)

monotony: I totally dig this - it's like a frame from a movie, with the varying in focus and levels of detail and treatment. That said, my eye is drawn to the non-howling Rewsh specimen in the midground, rather than the one immediate front of the picture plane. They are sort of round and cute? But I think yours is my favorite for overall rendering, the environment/scene is portrayed so well.

(lark: Nice use of textures and the slight depth of field look. I get that the power of the howl pushes the volek backwards, but the almost motion-blur look of the fur is going in the opposite direction, so it's a little confusing visually. I like the highlights on the fur - the shoulder and upper arm really have the look of glossy fur.

Ricardo Robles: The posture of the creature all hunkered down and, of course, the exploding knight, are aspects I really like. The only thing I might critique is it seems a little dark, maybe needs a tad more contrast, the Howler is almost lost against the background. ('course, this might be my monitor. It's one of those things.)

Ian the Greek: Yours is another I enjoyed watching the changes as you made them. Crazy lookin' creature, but doesn't have the huge howl feeling - just some flecks of spit. Good environment treatment.

Mr. Gadbury: I watched the progression of your painting with interest. The environment is great, but the differing amounts of "sharpen" is a bit distracting. I think some cropping could also bring the focus on your Lizard, my eye keeps going to the bright spot in the sky.

Steve Somers: For some reason, I really like the claws/talons on your Screamer. This is a great painting, especially the environment. While the face is crazy ferocious, the environment seems so pale (epic, but pale) with no interaction with the Screamer, doesn't have the "sense" of a powerful howl.

IVIATT: This has a very "oil" feel to it - which I like. Your Howlah has a sort of Dr. Suess feel to it. The mice give it a comical touch.

chriskot: I really like the rendering on the mouth, throat and the bg.

ninety9: Those are some pretty interesting head appendages. The rendering looks a little uneven - on the crest, tongue and face it is very detailed, while the rest of the body is very "painterly" but seems it didn't get as much attention. The posture of your bruakhia also seems tame.

42. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ArdentMind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm lovin your entry Ricardo Robles, very well done!

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

44. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1