Artist Manikins
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Artist Manikins

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Artist Manikins

Are these things absolutely worthless, or do I have the wrong idea?

How is this any kind of useful reference of a human body to make poses with?

Or this?

And don't even get me started on these abominations.

Maybe a skilled artist could make use of them, but the only people I ever see using them are insufferable weeaboos or just weak artists in general.

The middle one in the "manga" line up REALLY pisses me off particularly because it reminds me how so many people don't even know what breasts look like in real life, but still want to draw them anyway. The manufacturers of this eyesore knew that they'd make money off of that.

But I have a motto, "The people who say everything of X is bad only say so because they've never bothered to look for any of X that's actually good."

Am I wrong in calling all of these things worthless? Do they have a use?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These aren't poseable, but if you can afford it, this is a GREAT tool for analyzing and studying anatomy.

http://anatomicalfigures.com/

Personally, I've never found those simple wooden models very compelling - maybe the hand model, but not the figure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I remember seeing those. They're amazing just sitting there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have one like the first picture, and it`s "almost" useless, don`t buy them.

The Light and Dark Arts of Cristian Saksida
    Portfolio:http://www.chrissaksida.com
    Blog:http://cristiansaksidaarts.blogspot.com
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/crissaksida

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Are these things absolutely worthless, or do I have the wrong idea?

How is this any kind of useful reference of a human body to make poses with?

Or this?

And don't even get me started on these abominations.

Maybe a skilled artist could make use of them, but the only people I ever see using them are insufferable weeaboos or just weak artists in general.

The middle one in the "manga" line up REALLY pisses me off particularly because it reminds me how so many people don't even know what breasts look like in real life, but still want to draw them anyway. The manufacturers of this eyesore knew that they'd make money off of that.

But I have a motto, "The people who say everything of X is bad only say so because they've never bothered to look for any of X that's actually good."

The more traditional wooden ones, and the "Art S. Buck" ones, depicted are of some use for cartoonists trying to solve problems of depicting characters in "deep perspective." But, the limited range of motion and relation to actual human form greatly limits this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hand ones are worthless. Why not just look at your own hand?

I have thought of one use for the full figure ones, although I've never tried it myself. I have no idea if this would actually work well, but it occurred to me that if one were to drape them with fabric (or even better, small clothes such as Barbie clothes), they could be good for drapery and fabric reference. But, since I don't actually own one of these things I've never tried it.

"Contrary to the belief of the layman, the essential of art is not to imitate nature, but under the guise of imitation to stir up excitement with pure plastic elements: measurements, directions, ornaments, lights, values, colors, substances, divided and organized according to the injunctions of natural laws. While so occupied, the artist never ceases to be subservient to nature, but instead of imitating the incidents in a paltry way, he imitates the laws."-Andre Lhote

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jpacer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think it all depends on what you are doing. If I were an art school teacher, I would use the first one, especially if it was a beginner's class. I had one as a young teenager and it did help a tiny bit.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought the mannikin on the first image and the mannikins on the second image.

I never used the first one for anything "figurative" but treated it as another interesting still-life object. Did quite a few still lives with it. Beyond that, I didn't find it useful. Yeah, it does split the planes for some areas but most of it is just too undeveloped to be compared with a human body.

The second ones were kind of useful for foreshortened reference and it taught my younger self (pre-lifedrawing) on body part attachment. Having them around actually helped me avoid dislocated body parts but, when I look at it now, I think it is still a little undeveloped (the arms definitely do not work like the mannikin does). They also ended up in suggestive poses everytime my friend came over lolol.

Overall, they weren't all THAT bad but I could not find a use for them after attending life drawing sessions and learning anatomy beyond useful subject matter for artwork. I'm no expert though. Maybe the "manga" one can help people understand breast implants better...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Chow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been known to use wooden mannequins of the first (wooden) sort. They aren't particularly great, but as somebody without the ability to shoot my own pose references I found it to be a helpful tool in combination with an anatomy book.

Granted, the figures I got using one were not correct when it came to anatomy, but it looked a lot better than trying to just wing my figures from the imagination. I think people are a little overly critical of them.

These days, and I'm sure some will groan, I use Poser as a mannequin of some sorts. It'll never be as good or accurate as a real model, but as an amateur artist on a budget, I find it to be a helpful tool in getting my figures to look a little more realistic.

Neither can replace knowledge of anatomy, though, because you have to know the limits and movements of the body, else it'll just look wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zx52hg View Post

These days, and I'm sure some will groan, I use Poser as a mannequin of some sorts. It'll never be as good or accurate as a real model, but as an amateur artist on a budget, I find it to be a helpful tool in getting my figures to look a little more realistic.
    Poser? Wuzzat?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the first one.

You have to unglue the leg hip joints to make them more flexible.
    Their OK just because there's not much else around. I think you will get the value from them when you are ready for them. Or you might waste time looking for a cool manakin.

They get the basic noob ideas across for me,

- Joints are in fixed locations, or the axis of the joint operation is(In most cases)
    - Proportions are fixed
    - It's real perspective and not a photo

I don't use it that much but I need to visit it a couple of times more to internalise it's structure completely. I think it's a fundamental simple model for proportions. I was inspired to use it again because of some Anime book. Simple balls and cylinders is all you need to start stuff off but foreshortening from imagination is not allways as correct as I want it to be.

What they lack though are some minor details in joint technology.
    -The behaviour of the shoulder
    -Some flexibility
    -Some more suggestive landmarking for perhaps muscle groups etc.

you could just buy a couple and mess one or two up drawing on them with a marker to place your personal spot's of interest.
    In some way's it might be better to have a vague model and the idea as it's being taught is not really to copy the mannakin identically but to use it to solve problems of gesture, proportion, foreshortening and perspective. Stuff you might want to draw in.
    - A clear midline front and back on everything.
    - Eye/year line on the head
    - Chest line
    - naval

There's allso the cheapo version that might be more usefull in some ways where joint's are wire's joining cylinders and blocks.

The art of posing a mannakin is also something. A mannakin will appear stiff if you can't give it rythmic gesture when you pose it. You can't really blame the mannakin for that, It's like stop motion, you need to know how to pose the mannakin equally as well as to carry a sense of life.

Last edited by George Abraham; May 12th, 2010 at 09:59 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to George Abraham For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just saw this on Twitter. I thought it might be appropriate...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just saw this on Twitter. I thought it might be appropriate...
    Dude... is that Obama? o_O

Someone once gave me one of those basic wooden manikins when I was maybe 12 or so - I may still have it somewhere, but in all those years I never ever ever used it once. Dead useless as far as I was concerned...

As for the manga ones... BURN THEM. DESTROY THEM WITH FIRE. Gyaaah, my eyes...

I have thought of one use for the full figure ones, although I've never tried it myself. I have no idea if this would actually work well, but it occurred to me that if one were to drape them with fabric (or even better, small clothes such as Barbie clothes), they could be good for drapery and fabric reference. But, since I don't actually own one of these things I've never tried it.
    Actually, that's the one use I could think of, too. People used to do that all the time when painting portraits and things like that - they'd have a live sitting to do the head, and then use a life-size dummy wearing the appropriate clothes in order to paint the costume. That way the king or whoever wouldn't have to spend too much time posing while the artist filled in all the fancy lace and jewels and fabric...

Last edited by QueenGwenevere; May 12th, 2010 at 07:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have two of them - and for the most part two words describe them.." effing useless".. You would think the people who make them would realize how many problems these things have and FIX them..

--edit-- Oh god they have Manga Mannikins? Now we'll NEVER rid the world if butchered anime..

Last edited by hitnrun; May 13th, 2010 at 01:23 AM.
    Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Weeaboos make sure alot of people get their bills paid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol that's totally Obama. I have to wonder who the white manikin looks like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That Hot Toys company makes a really cool line of "Action figures", they're made to handle clothing and accessories and look appropriate. Thus, they might actually be good for artwork and helping set poses. Considering some will accept standard accessories, you can make use of a lot of clothing made for other figure lines in the same scale.

Unfortunately, I can't find a link to actually check the prices for them, or even order them. Anyone know where to find those?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have just got yourself global distribution. LOL!!!

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post

Yeah, I think you are personally. They show consistent and correct proportions in every position.

Members who have read this thread: 3