Color medium for sketchbook.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Color medium for sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Color medium for sketchbook.

I am always on the move and whenever I am able to sit down and draw a little more than when I am on a crowded bus for a 20 minute ride. I always
    have papers, pencils and pens to either sketch what I see, put down ideas or anything else. But I need a material that will help me train my eye more with
    color or at least be able to note down color relationships as well as tone.

I work part-time in a call-center, telling people how to set up their internet connection, so I am sketching all the time. I really want to take advantage of
    the time and freedom I have in that workplace, to develop my eye for color as well.

Markers came to mind as I was thinking of how unfortunate it is that I cannot use watercolors at work or elsewhere.

Colored pencils are an option also but I don't like them too much and they are pencils!!! I want to avoid that a bit.

So, any suggestions? And maybe some info on the proposed mediums?

"Don't judge a book by it's cover" Frank Frazetta 1928-2010
    RIP Frank.

DA gallery http://michaelsyrigos.deviantart.com/gallery/

CA Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131601
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    watercolor pencils?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some friends of mine managed to pull off portable watercolors with something like this:
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/niji-waterbrush/
    They also managed to lug around two large containers of Copics too, though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to silentbrain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I managed to throw together a portable watercolor set last year, and have found it invaluable - I use it almost every day and couldn't live without it now. Here's what I'm using. I bought my stuff online, but I actually saw all of these things at Hobby Lobby, recently, and bought the same setup for my sister, as a gift.

- Windsor Newton portable watercolor set (the cheap pocket box for 14.60)
    http://www.in2art.com/art-supplies/W...on-cotman-Sets

- small water brush, and larger flat-tipped water brush
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/niji-waterbrush/

- Moleskin small watercolor sketchbook (I use the ultraportable 3 1/2 x 5 1/2)
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/mo...0159-1058-8496

You can easily throw this in a pocket, bag, jacket. It's fairly cheap, all components are durable and of good quality. The waterbrushes are essential here - this is a mess free setup. All you need is a napkin in your back pocket for clean up and you're good to go.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pixeleater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixeleater I was going to suggest the same verynice

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just got these guys (the Pastel and Earth sets)
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/to...al-brush-pens/

Only just started fiddling around with them but liking them so far. Portable and no hassle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those Niji watercolor brushes look interesting. Never seen them before, especially around here. How do they work exactly? I am guessing you fill the container with the
    watercolor, but how do they work on application?

RIP Frank.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You fill the niji brushes with water. All you have to do is squeeze a little bit to get a nice wet brush, then you can pick up whatever color you want at the moment from the watercolor pans. To refresh the brush for a new color, just squeeze gently and brush it against a towel, and it will dump the current color in a few strokes. It works fairly well, with a little trial and error.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see. The problem is that I am not avoiding the use of water, it may be less messy but it still may be a bit of a problem. I am going to look into it but I am more inclined towards
    using markers, they are more direct. Maybe I won't be getting the feel I want but it seems that it'll be easier to lay down color quicker and with less hassle. I will try it out
    though, because having 20 markers on the side is no less a mess than having a portable watercolor set, so I'll find my solution.

BTW, watercolor pencils are out of the question.

RIP Frank.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    How about crayons? I'm serious, they are softer than pencils, no water needed and they aren't as messy as pastels. I know when I worked inhouse they wouldn't let us use markers cause some people were afraid of the toxicity from breathing them in. You might have to cut wax paper to put over crayons in the sketchbook because they do transfer a little.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I know when I worked inhouse they wouldn't let us use markers cause some people were afraid of the toxicity from breathing them in.
    There's plenty of non-toxic markers available these days, though.

Speaking of crayons, what about oil pastels? (Could be fun, but a bit messy - you'd have to either draw on only one side of each page or put something between the pages to keep them from getting messed up.)

There's also woodless colored pencils, like these: http://www.utrechtart.com/dsp_view_p...dname=Kohinoor

...and colored pencil sticks, shaped like pastels so they're less pencil-like and you can get broader strokes. Like these: http://www.utrechtart.com/dsp_view_p...r%20Art%20Stix

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have had trouble using oil pastels in the past but I have a few so I will take them with me tonight and give them a shot. I honestly never thought of crayons, and they do
    seem a little more tempting than oil pastels so I might try those out too.

Generally, I wish I could take a set of acrylics with me (I hate acrylics but no matter) or watercolors. I suppose that's why markers seemed like the next choice.

All the solutions given seem great in their own respect. If anyone has more to suggest, please do.

RIP Frank.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Colored ballpoint pens and refills

COLORED BALLPOINT PENS AND REFILLS (PACKAGES)

I’m posting 55 major ballpoint pen or refill names that are on the marketplace. There are many different colored pen packages or refills within this list. I’ve been on the WWW from the year 2000 therefore realize ballpoint pen artists are having difficulties locating oil based ballpoint pen. This list will certainly help people locate new materials to work with. Do you have any colored pens or refills not found on this list?
    Your friend, Jerry Stith

1. STAEDTLER® 10 colors: ball 432 ice colours
    2. OMAS BALLPOINT PEN REFILL FOR 360 COLLECTION
    3. OMAS BALLPOINT PEN REFILL
    4. MONTBLANC CLASSIQUE, BOHEME, STARWALKER BALLPOINT PEN REFILL
    5.LAMY PDA REFILL
    6. FABER-CASTELL D1 MINI BALLPOINT PEN REFILL
    7. DELTA BALLPOINT PEN REFILL
    8. CONKLIN BALLPOINT PEN REFILL
    9. BEXLEY MULTI-MAX BALLPOINT PEN REFILL
    10. AURORA MINI OPTIMA BALLPOINT PEN REFILL
    11. AURORA BALLPOINT PEN REFILL
    12. MONTEVERDE ARTISTA KIT BALLPOINT PEN
    13. Staedtler® 1.4 Maxum™ Ballpoint Pens
    14. Staedtler® 1.6 Maxum™ Ballpoint Pens
    15. STAEDTLER® stick 430 M
    16. STAEDTLER® stick 430 F
    17. Schneider® Express 735 Giant Ballpoint Refill
    18. Parker® compatible Schmidt® P900 M
    19. Schmidt® Pressurized Refill to Fit Parker
    20. Schmidt® Refill to fit Parker® Ballpoint Pens
    21. Schmidt Easy FLOW 9000 Refills
    22. Schmidt® Broadpoint Refill to fit Parker Ballpoint Pens
    23. Schmidt® Mini BallPen Fine point Refill
    24. Rotring® compatible Mini Ballpoint Ink Refill
    25. Schmidt® P950 Megaline Pressurized Refill
    26. Schmidt® easyFLOW 9000 M Refill
    27. BALLPOINT REFILLS FOR LAMY
    28. WATERMAN BALLPOINT REFILLS
    29. Sheaffer Standard Ballpoint Refill
    30. Parker Standard Ballpoint Refill
    31. 4 color Multi System pens refills M21
    32. 4 Cross Refill Colors
    33. Schneider® Express 56
    34. Schneider® Express 785
    35. Schneider® Express 775
    36. Schneider® Express 735
    37. 4 colors ballpoint pen
    38. 10 colors ballpoint pen with kid model/promotion design on top
    39. Grand: 10 color ballpoint pen with rope on top
    40. 4 colors ballpoint + 1highlighter (on top)
    41. Multicolor Pen 4 colors ballpoint
    42. Rainbow 10 color ballpoint pens
    43. Grand Multicolor 10 colored ballpoint pen
    44. 7 Multicolor Ballpoint pen
    45. Pentel RSVP 7 ballpoint pen colors
    46. 10 Color Ball Pens
    47. Reporter 4 Compact
    48. Monteverde Cross® compatible Ballpoint Ink Refill
    49. Parker 10 color ballpoint pen refills
    50. Cross/ Waterman ballpoint pen refills
    51. Sensa & Fisher ballpoint pen refills
    52. Schefeild: Frosty 9 color ballpoint pens
    53. Shanghai Weijun 12 ballpoint pen colors
    54. Schefields Easygrip 7 ballpoint pen colors
    55. Schefield Prism 10 ballpointpen colors

Jerry Stith
    http://jerrystith.multiply.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The top colored ballpoint pen packages

The top colored ballpoint pen packages I've located on the marketplace.
    Enjoy my friends

1. 10 Superior Quality: 10 colored ballpoint pen pack.
    2. ColorTech: 20 colored ballpoint pen pack.
    3. Prism: 10 colored ballpoint pen pack
    4. 10 Rainbow: colored ballpoint pen pack
    5. Jell Tek Rainbow: 7 colored pack
    6. Pentel: Firestick 10 colors all in one pen
    7. Pentel: Coca-Cola Bear 10 colors all in one pen
    8. RoseArt: 6 colored pack
    9. A&W: 10 colors in one pen (I’m told yellow is one of those 10 colors)
    10. Staedtler 10 colors: ball 432 ice colors
    11. Schefield prism 10 ballpointpen colors
    12. 10 Color Ball Pen of Assorted
    13. Bic Mini Crystal Pens (France)
    14. Monteverde
    15. Sanford
    16. Grand
    17. Fisher
    18. Reynolds
    19. Arty Crafty Rainbow Neon
    20. Shanghai Weijun

Jerry Stith

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

BallPoint Pen virtues!

BallPoint Pen virtues!

1. Four thousand years of pen and ink history: (A quill feather was cut and prepared to be used as a dipping pen that dominated the market place for one thousand years. Metal tips or nibs became into use thereafter for recording, writing and artworks. Most other art mediums didn’t exit, so comparing pen and ink to them is rather absurd because society was completely run with our medium) Pens have elevated every society throughout history for the past four or five thousand years like no medium and that indicates other art medium are lesser effective or inferior. Pen and Ink therefore has countless billions of supporters.

2. Most sold art instrument in history: How many people have exited over the past four thousand plus years is an interesting question just like how many pens or ballpoints have be used by those individuals during those times. Pen and Ink has a tremendous past as does the Biro or ballpoint pen. A ballpoint is being used via illustrations, animation, cartoons, lettering, as a mixed media, commercially, industrially, as a fashion tool and throughout the graphic or fine art communities.

3. Largest undeveloped art movement in history: A ballpoint pen became commercialized or first manufactured worldwide in 1938 in Argentina through the efforts of the Biro brothers. The Biro’s failed to get production rights with the United States so shortly after that date pen companies within this country retooled and produced their own models or designs. The Bic Pen Company has already sold over one hundred billion ballpoint pens and that’s only one manufactory in the world. How many of those ballpoint pens get used for doodling, sketching, drawings, inklings or illustrations? Interrogating those artworks into our art community’s infrastructure will provide hope, prosperity, gains, sales and recognition. Our art community is of the people, for the people and by the people!

4. Longest flowing pen lines in history: In the art world spontaneity is considered very important particularly if the artist is working outdoors because things are moving unlike working from photographs which is like imitating a camera. Doodles, sketches and today’s inklings are most often based on quick long flowing full tone lines used to capture action, a mood, expression or moving motion. The lines always remain the same, never thicken or dull plus keep on going throughout your creative adventure. I have more than three and a half thousand sketches from the good old days published on the Web for the beginners, youth or children of the world. They represent a level countless millions of people interested in exploring the art world can relate to!

5. Brightest colored pen inks in history: Pen and Ink has been around for about four or five thousand years or longer than almost all other media or medium. The earlier inks came mostly in black or shades of brown. India ink was about the best because it was really black plus archival therefore most excellent as a writing, recording or artistic medium. India inks are however water based which seems to work well with black yet not colors. Blacks have a different make up or properties than do colors. That means colored inks are weak, almost transparent or not comparable to other art mediums.

Ballpoint pen inks are oil based, much thicker, radiant, brighter or beautiful in compare. Now pretty, beautiful or brilliant artworks can be produced via pen and ink as never before. That’s New Worthy or a vast improvement within that art movement plus an attraction to millions from around the world. I’m not seeing any colored ballpoint pen drawings surfacing out of Great Britain or some other countries. I’m seeing colors coming out of China, New Zealand, Spain, France, Canada, India and some other nations throughout the world and that’s spectacular or a vast improvement.

6. Subtlest camera-ready half tone lines in history: Camera-ready means, ready for market or to go not first in a series of events multiple processes. In 1980-82 Parker Pens produced an extra (ultra) fine ballpoint pen tip that arrived in black or blue oil based inks. The cartridges are wide so massive lines or art works could be completed with each unit. The extra-fine tips were remarkable thin or much like drawing with a nail. Those tips got removed from the market place or selves because of limited sales.

The extra-fine or fine ballpoint pen tips produce an amazing thin line and that’s extremely important within the graphic art community. Eloquence, sophistication, perfection or exquisite line work describes graphic art works using very detailed lines therefore such words are appropriate for our ballpoint pen drawings. Why! A ballpoint pen can produce a half tone line that is subtler than all other graphic or fine art medium so such descriptions do apply. A new detailed or thin line elevates the sensitivity level of mankind and that’s a extraordinary statement to say the least.

7. Only oil based pen ink in history: Oil based inks can produce a half tone lines from a full tone ink supply, carry more pigments used in making brighter colors plus enables better storage. Some ballpoint pen’s have an ink reserve that can produce a line three quarters of a mile long! That indicates lots of fun, freedom or creative expressions to me, my friends.

8. Strongest pen tips in history: A strong ballpoint pen tip enables it to produce an outstanding carbon copy, stops breakage, lets it work on many rough surfaces, work upside down, underwater and in deep space. Sometimes it even works as a prying, scraping or digging device.

9. Best carbon copy producer in history: A ballpoint pen revolutionized record keeping, government, business because of the ability to make an excellent carbon copy!

10. Most reliable pen in history: A ballpoint pen is portable, study, reliable, effective therefore extremely popular or the greatest writing and drawing instrument in history and is being used to run society.

Jerry Stith

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh... kay...

Quote Originally Posted by pixeleater View Post
    - Windsor Newton portable watercolor set (the cheap pocket box for 14.60)
    http://www.in2art.com/art-supplies/W...on-cotman-Sets
    I got the one on the left for a few outdoor sketches, but also because it's pretty gadgety. (even before I realised the big tube in the middle was a water bottle with twin pots ) Watercolour's probably my 'worst' medium and I'm put off by the potential hassle of lugging and setting up any paint, but that little set's an encouragement. Just open, pull out bottle, hook pot, and pour water. The biggest modification I'd suggest is sticking in another brush or two - the one it comes with don't point well. The water brushes look like a great idea.

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't dismiss coloured pencils. I wish my kid brother would upload some his stuff so I could show you - he draws motorbikes.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    How about crayons? I'm serious, they are softer than pencils, no water needed and they aren't as messy as pastels. I know when I worked inhouse they wouldn't let us use markers cause some people were afraid of the toxicity from breathing them in. You might have to cut wax paper to put over crayons in the sketchbook because they do transfer a little.
    I usually carry a couple of cheapish wax crayons around with my sketchbook just to indicate colour studies from observation. They're cheap, quick and they stop me from doodling to much. Pencils, pens, pastels and markers work too, but I prefer to keep them for more finished works.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I never felt colored pencils felt like regular pencils, they're definitely little waxy buggers.

I actually have a set of Ministaff colored pencils, they're TINY but I can't find myself to color with them till I get a spare set...mainly because they're so cute. But they do win in portability.

http://cool2school.com/mini-pencil-set.html

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Miniature pencil set! Oh my god, I want to have those just to have them...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you want coloured graphite that feels more like regular pencils, try the Col-Erase line from Prismacolor. I use them frequently, and they're quite good. The red is the softest, generally around the range of a B or 2B, and the rest slightly harder. They erase, more or less, but not 100%. More than coloured pencils/pencil crayons, though. Much less waxy, too.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    If you want coloured graphite that feels more like regular pencils, try the Col-Erase line from Prismacolor. I use them frequently, and they're quite good. The red is the softest, generally around the range of a B or 2B, and the rest slightly harder. They erase, more or less, but not 100%. More than coloured pencils/pencil crayons, though. Much less waxy, too.
    Oh I have no problem using colored pencils, it was actually my media of choice for years.

It was in counter argument that Colored Pencils are like regular pencils, which Line stated earlier.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Fair enough. Just tossing another option out there, in case folks like the feel of graphite more.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Members who have read this thread: 1