figure sketch - need anatomical insight
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: figure sketch - need anatomical insight

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy figure sketch - need anatomical insight

Im wanting to take this piece further, but ive come to realize that my anatomical knowledge is lacking. After this piece i believe ill do sketches of studies of more specific regions with reference to learn wth im doing because im really unhappy about my consistent 'close, but so far away' figure/anatomy drawings.

I suspect the pelvis is misaligned and the quad muscles attaching to the hip are off as well, not to mention the torso surrounding that area. I know there are other issues as well and i wont feel butthurt if someone could really lay some smack down. god knows i need it.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's hard to tell which from the sketch, but his left quadriceps muscle (the teardrop part) looks either misplaced in relation to the sartorius muscle or non-existent.
    One other thing is that if you consider the angle of his shoulders where his left is much lower than his right, you would also see the effect of that angle reflected in his pecs (his right pec outstretched and his left pec laid down lower) and his abs (pinches together on his left side).
    Hope that helps.

Very nice lines and form otherwise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks wooblood,

i totally get what you were saying about the abdomen/chest lines. im trying to work that in as im going in more depth here.

Im not quite following the quad comment but i do sense that there is some inaccuracy here that i need to correct.

i think what i can spot is perhaps the angle that the knee / upper leg twists off the hip, and the way the lower leg bends off the knee looks a little inconsistent. feeling like i need to pull the rotation of the upper leg in so the knee is more rotated - this should also pull the quadriceps around so that you can see more of the outer quad muscle than you currently can now.

heres the latest progress!

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It looks good. Put him in a non-skintight outfit and don't worry about it. What you should be worrying about it those hands!

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You got some things right, but you have a ton of smaller but very visible anatomical mistakes here. Muscles connected to wrong places, nonexistent muscles, missing muscles, bones showing where they should not, way too many of those.

I tried to sketch an ecorchet in this pose to show you where things go, but I just can't concentrate today. I'll try to tackle it tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Elwell: Wow man i didnt expect to see you comment on this, i appreciate the sentiment of 'looking forward' so to speak. Youve definitely got it right those hands need some attention. Love your work btw seriously.

Arenhaus: I feel what youre saying, and would be very appreciative if you ever find the time to doodle anything up. Ive been sketching figures for as long as i can remember, and never competently, so im going to end this nonsense with this piece and do proper, local anatomical studies from here on out, until i know what im doing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Woo. Took me longer than expected; I got rusty in a few key points and had to refresh my memory of some muscle connections.

Anyway, here's an ecorchet in approximately the same pose. I color coded the most important shape-defining muscles and muscle groups.

If you don't remember where something connects, don't guess - dig up a book. I have a folder full of anatomy notes, half of which deals with where the major muscles connect and what they pull. I had to consult it to check exactly where the thigh adductors connect: they are seldom distinct as clear muscles, working as a mass, so I seldom had to draw them precisely and I forgot that bit. So what, I checked my notes.

You can construct things like this as long as you know where everything connects and remember that muscles always try to go in the most direct line. (Not that they always can, but they certainly try to.)

Attached Images Attached Images  

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arenhaus: Wow man thats really stepping above and beyond the call of duty to help out your fellow artist. Im really quite grateful and it helps clarify some uncertainties ive had right off the bat! I hope that not only just me but others looking at this also find it useful in their studies in the future.

Ill be referencing this as im picking up this piece again in some key areas for sure.

Btw - nothing wrong with referencing notes? i mean hell thats why you have them, right? I have no anatomical notes so that makes me the fool, though as ive hinted at, after this piece i believe ill finally be putting an end to that.

Ok time to get back to drawing this guy then!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.