Need to buy a sketchbook, help?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Need to buy a sketchbook, help?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Need to buy a sketchbook, help?

Hey guys, I woke up this morning to find out that my crappy tablet that hardly worked got crappier and is not long working at all! Yay!

So yeah, I need to buy a sketchbook.. I don't have the finances to buy a new tablet anytime soon.. So if any of you kind people could find me a sketchbook that has >200 pages, is width: ~8, height: ~11 inches, and has traceable paper, that would be awesome.

As I am mainly a ps and gimp user, idk what exactly to look for in the sheets. I like to work in layers, and the book I have right now says it has 'premium smooth bright white surface' pages, whatever that means. But hey! It works, so if you guys know what that hell I'm talking about, that would be great!

Names and/or links much appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ...Are you asking for a sketchbook that'll work best with photoshop?

???

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meh... you can like... go to some art shop or ordinary paper shop (i don't know how it's called, the one where you buy your notebooks for school and stuff) and look around. I really don't understand what you intend to do with it, so i don't know You have one book that you like, it should have some sort of brand logo or something on the cover, look who made the one you already own and search where you can buy others.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Vari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    ...Are you asking for a sketchbook that'll work best with photoshop?

???
    Sorry, I meant since I usually do cg art, I don't pay attention to the pages I use when I'm just freehand sketching.

Quote Originally Posted by Vari View Post
    Meh... you can like... go to some art shop or ordinary paper shop (i don't know how it's called, the one where you buy your notebooks for school and stuff) and look around. I really don't understand what you intend to do with it, so i don't know You have one book that you like, it should have some sort of brand logo or something on the cover, look who made the one you already own and search where you can buy others.
    The cover on my pad I was talking about before got torn off. It was just really old, and the only good thing about it was the traceable pages.

I'll try to find some 'art stores' in my area, but I was kinda just hoping for a website I could buy some books from.

Thanks for your replies. ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, if you have a barnes & noble's near by, they have plenty of sketchbooks.
    You'll have only a small variety of brands. But they've all worked well for me.
    Lots of sizes.

From Generic to Moleskine.
    Just try to be smart about how you spend your money. When You get to an art shop I'd probably go for more of strathmore brown cover.

Hope I helped narrow it down.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sumisoul For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackheartK View Post
    Well, if you have a barnes & noble's near by, they have plenty of sketchbooks.
    You'll have only a small variety of brands. But they've all worked well for me.
    Lots of sizes.

From Generic to Moleskine.
    Just try to be smart about how you spend your money. When You get to an art shop I'd probably go for more of strathmore brown cover.

Hope I helped narrow it down.
    I actually do have a barnes and noble's pretty close to me, and I've bought books from there ages ago. I'll check them out, thanks.

I was also thinking about just buying a 3 ring binder, 2-3" thick, and filling it with 8.5 x 11 printer paper. I was looking for some translucent paper to do this with, but its just so damn expensive! Unless you guys know any cheap brands?

But yeah, I'll look at those barnes and noble's books, and keep looking for some thin paper if I can find any to accommodate for my '3 ring binder' idea. Although normal old printer paper wouldn't be horrible either.. And its hella cheaper..

Thanks a lot for the replies! Again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewb View Post
    I was also thinking about just buying a 3 ring binder, 2-3" thick, and filling it with 8.5 x 11 printer paper. I was looking for some translucent paper to do this with, but its just so damn expensive! Unless you guys know any cheap brands?
    Well, for those types of things I'd go to staple. Lots of cheap stuff there. Especially if it were back to school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My dad also sells office supplies, so I could get it probably even cheaper from him.

Hmm, it would seem that this topic has taken a turn from being useless to being even more useless! ;P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My favorite "sketchbook" is tracing paper or computer paper. Works wonderfully! I love how easily pencil erases from tracing paper. I also feel that it not being in a BOOK makes me more prone to experiment and be messy. If it's in a sketch book I feel like it has to be presentable in a way haha.

OmenSpirits is online now Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Go to a Michaels (if applicable) and get your tracing paper. Get a three-ring binder and access to a three-hole puncher. Fill the book w/ photocopy paper and (if I'm reading you right) for every sheet of photocopy paper, put a sheet or two etc. of tracing paper over it.

Instant layers.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like that idea, OmenSpirits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewb View Post
    Hey guys, I woke up this morning to find out that my crappy tablet that hardly worked got crappier and is not long working at all! Yay!

So yeah, I need to buy a sketchbook.. I don't have the finances to buy a new tablet anytime soon.. So if any of you kind people could find me a sketchbook that has >200 pages, is width: ~8, height: ~11 inches, and has traceable paper, that would be awesome.

As I am mainly a ps and gimp user, idk what exactly to look for in the sheets. I like to work in layers, and the book I have right now says it has 'premium smooth bright white surface' pages, whatever that means. But hey! It works, so if you guys know what that hell I'm talking about, that would be great!

Names and/or links much appreciated. Thanks a lot!
    I haven't ready any other replies for which I apologize but here's my two cents:

200+ pages for a sketchbook? I don't think sketchbooks that big exist. 200 SHEETS maybe (2 pages per sheet - front and back). Standard size is 8 1/2 x 11. Traceable paper? The only paper "traceable" is tracing paper, which I have in pads of about 50 sheets (maybe its 25, not sure) but the pages are NOT completely clear. After maybe 5 or 6 "layers" - you wont even clearly see whats on page 1. With sketchbooks, we dont use "layers". We use guidelines, and plan our drawings out using sketches, lightly drawn lines, and thumbnail sketches. If "sketches" "lightly drawn lines" and "Thumbnails" aren't ringing a bell, we have a very big problem here. Oh and in traditional art, we use inches/feet, not pixels. (that's a joke, unless you actually did not know. In which case it would be more of an FYI)

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.